How can you tell if your hair is protein sensitive??

I have heard ladies hear using that term, but don't know if my hair is. Just did a Giovanni Deep Conditioner with Protein and it looks good. I also used a Keratin Conditioner and my hair LOOOOVES IT!!!:hello2:
Low Poo: Mastey Traite, GTTT
Conditioner: GVP,
Leave Ins: KCKT, Shescentit LI
Styling: ISO Bouncy Cream, DOC, HETT, KCCC

Still trying to figure out what hair i have lol!!.

Wanting to try: Darcy's, KBB and Botticelli Botanicals.:laughing6:

Comments

• mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    If your hair is fine, chances are you will not be protein sensitive. You'll know right away if you are -- my hair turns hard, dry, brittle and straw-like. Not a good combo!
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    Anyone can be protein sensitive, regardless of hair type, though those with coarse hair are more prone to it.

You can only tell you're protein sensitive over time, really, though some can tell immediately.

If your hair keeps breaking despite copious protein and moisture treatments, try cutting out the protein first. If that helps, you're protein sensitive. If you can't seem to amp up the moisture enough and your hair always feels a little dry and crackly, like straw, and you notice (regardless of how moisturising something is otherwise) that all of your products have protein in them, you're likely to be protein sensitive.

The only trick is that not enough moisture and too much protein can look and act the same - so you need to play around with things in order to find out for sure what it is. For example, I did a protein treatment when I first started CG that gave me really crunchy crinkly hair - and I was convinced I was protein sensitive. Then I found out that you must always follow up a protein treatment with a moisture treatment- my hair was just dried out from the protein treatment. I did a DT and was fine, and now I know my hair loves protein.

If your hair appears to love the protein conditioners you're using, then chances are you're not protein sensitive. :-)
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I don't have more to say about how to tell, but something you can do to help your hair not get crunchy with protein is always follow a protein treatment with something that is straight moisture.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    Anyone can be protein sensitive, regardless of hair type, though those with coarse hair are more prone to it.

You can only tell you're protein sensitive over time, really, though some can tell immediately.

If your hair keeps breaking despite copious protein and moisture treatments, try cutting out the protein first. If that helps, you're protein sensitive. If you can't seem to amp up the moisture enough and your hair always feels a little dry and crackly, like straw, and you notice (regardless of how moisturising something is otherwise) that all of your products have protein in them, you're likely to be protein sensitive.

The only trick is that not enough moisture and too much protein can look and act the same - so you need to play around with things in order to find out for sure what it is. For example, I did a protein treatment when I first started CG that gave me really crunchy crinkly hair - and I was convinced I was protein sensitive. Then I found out that you must always follow up a protein treatment with a moisture treatment- my hair was just dried out from the protein treatment. I did a DT and was fine, and now I know my hair loves protein.

If your hair appears to love the protein conditioners you're using, then chances are you're not protein sensitive. :-)

I did a protein treatment last night and my hair feels the way you are describing it....what kind of DT do you follow up with? Because I didn't do that and I really think I need to!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    A moisture DT - a heavy conditioner with loads of emollients and so forth, preferably without more protein. I find AOHR and GVP CB work well, as do the Lustrasilk conditioners.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    A moisture DT - a heavy conditioner with loads of emollients and so forth, preferably without more protein. I find AOHR and GVP CB work well, as do the Lustrasilk conditioners.

Great! Thanks so much...I'll doing this after I use the protein. I'll have to get some AOHR, I've heard so many good things about it!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file