Afroveda vs. Qhemet

dxwashdxwash Registered Users Posts: 245
I aboslutely love Qhemet products. I use burdock root creme daily to moisturize, I use the honeybush tea gel to smooth out my frizzies, and the OHHB to seal.

Now I have been eyeing the Afroveda products as possible replacements for my Qhemet products. For thoes QB product users what product would compete with the Burdock root as far as consistency ( I like a cream more than a butter) and performance. Also can anything compare to the tea bush gel for moisture and frizz reduction.

I know nothing can ever compete with the OHHB so I wont even ask :)

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    man, Afroveda doesnt have anything on Qhemet. For one Qhemet products are consistent year after year. I never ordered a product and wonder why the jar is different or the product is odd. The only thing I can say is that she changed the jars and the scent.

Now I'm not knocking Afroveda, I love Mala's products. I know and support her because shes a small business and on the rise, I just cant eye for eye compare the two lines.

The shea-amla is as light as the brbc but the brbc doesnt leave a slight film on my hair. I have to massage the shea-amla in and then brush thru the section lightly to get it to absorb.

Mala doesnt have a gel thats as light as the Tea Bush Gel.
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    i agree with shawnyblazes
    i don't think the lines are comparable
    if you are looking for cheaper, then afroveda is cheaper
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Registered Users Posts: 870
    I have to also agree that Qhemet still wins. I know for a fact when I use QB to style my hair, I don't have to refresh with more moisturizer. I may do a light spritz just because, but my hair stays moisturized.

QB's OHHB is in a category by itself as is the HTSG. There isn't an Afroveda butter that is similar to the BRBC in consistency either. The closet are maybe the Shea Amla and the Totally Twisted, but again the BRBC stands above them both for my hair. I find I have to double the Shea Amla and the Cocolatte Mask to get the same feel I get from Qhem's products.

Now I will say where Afroveda is unique is the Hemp Seed Butter. My hair loooves some Hemp and if your hair isn't sensitive to the wax (a little is all you need) then the Hemp Seed Butter makes a nice winter alternative for setting twists and braids since its heavier then gels. I'm going to try to testing how this will work with Qhem's products and see what happens.
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Registered Users Posts: 475
    Qhemet wins. The moisturization you get from Qhemet is amazing. I have been using Afroveda for four months and as Ekuasoul said I would have to apply more butter or spritz during the week to keep my hair moisturized; not so with Qhemet's stuff ( thanks Shawnyblazes btw :lol: ).
    I now use my Afroveda stuff as stylers on top of my qhemet stuff; that works out great for me.

event.png
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Registered Users Posts: 260
    I found Qhemet to be way too heavy and greasy for my hair, but I think that's because it was formulated for type 4s or thick, coarse 3cs. Afroveda Cocolatte gives me just the right amount of moisture.

I'd say, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. If you truly love Qhemet, the benefits will outweigh the cost.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • kckinkykckinky Registered Users Posts: 162
    I have tried and continue to use both lines. For me they serve very different purposes. I find Aforveda water based butters (Shea Amla, Totally Twisted, and Cocolatte) to be more moisturizing, especially for twists and braids. The consistency and texture of these "butters" like the Shea Amla is very unique. Personally, I also love the scents...I know some people aren't very fond of the frank-myhrr scent. The Curly Custard is also a very good styling butter that adds some moisture along with curl definition and hold. Lastly, Afroveda offers one of the best medium hold natural gels, the Pur Whipped Jelly. I haven't found anything that slicks down my edges and provides curl definition w/o getting hard and crunchy.
    On the other hand, Qhemet's products really have softened my hair and I like to use the AOHC or BRBC when I braid or twist my hair overnight for a clumpy fro the next day. I also like these products for treatments. The Qhemet gel doesn't do much for me in the way of styling on slicking down my edges, its too light. But I must say that Qhemets OHHB has no competitors. I haven't run into any product like it and it is a wonderful sealer for my ends when in twists and when I wear wash and gos. I love both lines and both are my staples.
    Dense Tight Coils.
    Last Relaxer: Sept 2011
    Loves :love7:
    Jessicurl, Karen's Body Beautiful, Hairveda, Oyin, She Scent It and Qhemet Biologics products
    ***Recovering PJ***:help:
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    came back to say both product lines water based moisturizers worked well for me when i was doing twists. since that isn't a style i wear consistently, they are pretty much shelved. the aohc and afroveda both make my hair feel producty if put on loose hair.

i hate the honey balm & soft hold gel from qhemet's tho :(
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Registered Users Posts: 404
    Afroveda Cocolatte gives me just the right amount of moisture.

Our hair is so similar from the pic I see that I am now pondering your suggestion. I've been looking to try an Afroveda products but they all seemed to heavy on my hair and I assumed cocolatte was a mask not a styling product from its name. Thanks.
    3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
    Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
    Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
    Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
    DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    I don't think one line is better than the other. I was/am a lover of all things Qhemet...but Afroveda is awesome as well, and it's not as expensive. I never feel like I'm sacrificing quality.

I use Afroveda now, because I like the products a tad better, and I feel like I'm getting what I pay for.

You have to try Afroveda, and see for yourself. There are those who will like the line better, or as much as QB, and there are those who won't.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • hypnotichypnotic Registered Users Posts: 613
    I've used them both and at the end of the day how far my money goes matters. Afroveda is way cheaper. Right now I am wearing twists so I am not overly concerned about moisture. I could really use some raw shea butter and keep it moving. I don't know how necessary any of these butters and creams are but I like trying new things.

When I used the BRBC it was great but now that the weather has changed I am ok using a heavier product like Afroveda. I also dont wear my hair loose.
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    I prefer Afroveda better since my hair is able to absorb it more. The Qhemet products just sat on my hair. With Afroveda, I get moisturized and non-greasy hair. I think that the CocoLatte Moisture Mask is comparable to the Burdock root. HTH!
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    I'd have to agree that the products aren't really comparable. The lines are very different. Different textures and, for my daughter and I, different uses. My daughter likes Qhemet better and for her hair that is correct. The Afroveda Totally twisted ginger almond butter is the one she likes from that line. Me myself that stuff smells like the old home perms I got as a kid (identical) so I can barely stand it. QB has no real smell on much of the stuff. It seems more natural to me (not that it is..just seems that way)

My hair likes very small amount of QB products except the honeybush gel (LOVE!) which I can use more. I like the Afroveda Curly Custard and Shea Amla. I like the pur whipped gelly o.k....but it's not all that great for me. Love the smell though! Neither of us liked the cocolatte moisture mask--even tried it on my son but his hair was very dull using it. I have no idea why.

So I would encourage you to try both--you just don't know exactly what your hair is going to like. You may end up loving one more than another or mixing it up.

Of course I'm a total PJ :)
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    i only use the Qhemet amla heavy cream as a deep conditioner or mixed with another conditioner for deep conditioning. it is too heavy for everyday wear.

Qhemet burdock root cream is a bit lighter, but i have to be very light handed with it or i am left with greasy hair...and the same goes for the olive honey balm. i actually use these two mixed with other conditioners for deep conditioning too.

i do like the honeybush gel mixed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

all of Afroveda's butters leave my hair greasy no matter how lightly i apply them.

i am still testing the PUR Whipped Gelly. i used it once, and i had a film on my hair...not sure if it was the gelly or the mixing of gelly with other products.

i really like shea amla fragrance, i just wish it didn't fade to almost non-existent after a few weeks. i use it as a body perfume.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Registered Users Posts: 148
    I agree that you cannot compare the two and I think that each line works for some people and don't work for others.

Qhemet's cost more but it works for my hair. I really love and prefer Qhemet's because it really moisturizes my hair and the product absorbs into my hair. The Burdock root Butter cream is light and I use it under a gel when I do a WNG and my hair is really soft and moist. I mix the Amla heavy cream with the Olive Hydrating balm to twist or braid my hair.

From Afroveda I would only repurchase the Pur Whipped Jelly which l finally learned how to use and the Shea Amla. The Cocalatte Mask did not work for me and left a white film in my hair and the twisted almond butter was too greasy for me.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Registered Users Posts: 260
    Afroveda Cocolatte gives me just the right amount of moisture.

Our hair is so similar from the pic I see that I am now pondering your suggestion. I've been looking to try an Afroveda products but they all seemed to heavy on my hair and I assumed cocolatte was a mask not a styling product from its name. Thanks.

No problem! I assumed it was a deep conditioning mask too for the longest time based on the name.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    kamaia16 wrote: »
    From Afroveda I would only repurchase the Pur Whipped Jelly which l finally learned how to use and the Shea Amla. The Cocalatte Mask did not work for me and left a white film in my hair and the twisted almond butter was too greasy for me.

how do you use the PUR Whipped Gelly?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Registered Users Posts: 148
    @ Windflower I use the Pur Whipped Gelly for my WNG. At first it left my hair white but I learned you have to use it on soaking wet hair and you have to apply it first before you apply any other product so that it will absorb. I got that information from Shawnyblazes and Rosscd on another thread.

While hair is wet I apply it to soaking wet hair in sections then I add more water to make sure it has absorbed. Its not a hard hold so you can apply another gel on top if you want to. It seems messy applying but once the hair dries my curls were really popping!
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • mikosbellemikosbelle Registered Users Posts: 363
    I am using both of the product lines in conjunction with one another. I am finding that they work very well together. They are very different, but together are excellent. Both are heavily concentrated and last forever. I order qhemet only twice a year and the afroveda will probably be the same way as well. They also both work well on my daugther's hair, so I don't have to buy separate products for the each of us. I also love kinky-curly product line, which that I can purchase locally at Whole Foods. So I think we have found our holy grails. I took me several thousand dollars later, but better late than never :D

I only wish I could get rid of everything else I own and get my money back!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]4A hair type, looking for healthy hair suggestions and improved styling techniques

my hair pics:
    http://public.fotki.com/mikosbelle/
    no pw needed

Currently experimeting with: MOP TOP :smurf:

My staple product lines are Qhemet, Afroveda, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, and Curl Junkie :D

Favorite combo: Afroveda pur whipped gelly + Kinky-Curly Curling Custard:angel8:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Miko girl PM me. Im sure I can lighten your load
  • hypnotichypnotic Registered Users Posts: 613
    i feel like im the only person who doesnt do wash and gos...
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    hypnotic wrote: »
    i feel like im the only person who doesnt do wash and gos...
    i don't do wash and gos either, so you're not alone.

I can't really compare QB to AV. I like AV because of the prices and they are good products. I liked QB when the scent was not citrusy (product works the same, but I don't like the scent). I'm loving AV now :)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file