To you noobies like me

How the heck do you narrow down your list of products to try?

I feel like every time I decide, and I read a little more, and I find more I want to try. I cannot believe the list I've got.

I don't have enough closet space to stock everything on this dang list! :-|
CG since Nov 15

Fia : 2cMii
NT : 2b/3a?

Growing out straight perm so half my head is wavy curly and the other is bone straight (lopped off half my hair Oct 28 )

Med texture / Normal porosity / Normal elasticity / Medium density
Tends to be a bit dry

Currently trying out:
John Masters Organics
Jessicurls
Re:Coil
Curl Keeper

Comments

• karen94132karen94132 Posts: 29Registered Users
    I know exactly what you mean. I have a running list of products I want to try that continues to evolve as I learn about new products and learn more about what works best with my hair.

I have a few ideas for you:

1) You can order samples from Kathy Mack. That way you can try lots of things before committing to full-size containers. You can PM her - http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/member.php?u=31299

2) You can also order samples for some lines on their websites - Jessicurl, Komaza, etc.

3) Find people who have hair like yours and stalk them. Chances are that products that work for them will work for you, too.

4) Resist the urge to get too many products in the beginning because your hair will continue to evolve as it transitions to being CG.

Good luck!
    Conditioners: AOHR, Giovanni 50:50
    Styling: AG ReCoil, DM MiraCurl Curling Gelly, Komaza Coconut Hair Pudding, AOMM
    Gels: Goddess Glaze, MGA Sculpting
    . . . and playing with lots of others
  • NoMoreStraightPermNoMoreStraightPerm Posts: 57Registered Users
    Thank you SO much for those ideas!! :happy9:

That's great to hear about possibly getting samples! As soon as I feel a bit more confident about what I really want, I'll PM Kathy Mack. Thank you!

>Find people who have hair like yours and stalk them.

Unfortunately, this too seems to change day by day lol.

Part of my problem is that I'm still growing my hair out of my straight perm and I haven't seen my natural hair in so long I have no idea what it actually looks like! I cut off 5 or so inches a few days ago, so my hair is now to my shoulders, but the bottom half is still bone straight and I think it's probably weighing down my curl. And now with the weather change...... gawd. lol

At this point, I'm even really confused if I have wavy hair or curly hair! :scratch:

Cheers to you, good luck and many good hair days to you! :)
    CG since Nov 15

Growing out straight perm so half my head is wavy curly and the other is bone straight (lopped off half my hair Oct 28 )

Tends to be a bit dry

Currently trying out:
    John Masters Organics
    Jessicurls
    Curl Keeper

• laleepop14laleepop14 Posts: 23Registered Users
    I stopped perming my hair back In august and I am amazed at how much new growth has grown since then and also how very hard my hair is to manage the two textures. What I first did, of course, was just use whatever product I had left over and then went and bought another natural hair friendly product line. Of course I will not really know the effects it will have on my hair because I am transitioning into natural hair without the chop. I am doing half-wigs and braid-out, bantu-knots and twist outs to make the two textures blend more...

I have also done a TON of research and have even started a little (okay its pretty big...lol) binder full of all the information I find, products, hairstyles, homemade recipes, websites, blogs, etc. SO that when I am ready to try things out I can make a note of what it did for my hair..I mean trial and error is going to be the only way to find what works best. So maybe being a product junkie in the beginning isn't that bad.

I think at the beginning stages of transitioning you should set up a routine more than focus on products. I mean yes, deciding on what products are best for your hair is good, but establishing a routine that wil help when you are fully natural and while transitioning will help too.
    I find that co-washing and deep conditioning work wonders on making the two textures more manageable and moisturizing the new growth as well as the relaxed hair has been helpful for me.. I am just starting and sharing my experience, hope it helps a little...

@karen94132- Great post...
    laleepop14!I'm so sorry - I just found your post!

Thank you so much for writing me about your experience. Yeah, having two extreme textures does not make for many good hair days lol.

I've been doing my routine (I actually bring my notes in the shower with me L.M.A.O.) and my hair looks pretty good after I get all my products in....then when I SOTC things look...well,...okay....but then in an hour or so, the bottom half of my hair is straight and the roots to middle are a big mess - kind of sexy and I'm enjoying the change but....

Anyway, good luck with your grow-out, too! I live in Tokyo so I'm ordering my things in a big ol' bunch (to save shipping) and so that I'll have stuff here when I feel the urge to try new products (since it takes a few weeks to arrive from the States).

Cheers!
    CG since Nov 15

Tends to be a bit dry

Currently trying out:
    John Masters Organics
    Jessicurls
    Curl Keeper

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Start with the inexpensive products that are available at any grocery store... Suave, VO5, Aussie, LA Looks, and so on. That way you don't spend a lot of money and can try several different ones. I buy and give away if it's not something that will work for me. $1 or so isn't going to break the bank. And someone will be happy to get what you don't use.
    Thanks for the tip, Spekla,

I live in Japan so unfortunately, any purchase is an expensive one since it means shipping it over here.

And there aren't too many natural curlies in Japan, so there ain't many offerins!

I did just make an order of ohhh about 10 years worth of samples LMAO, plus a few other orders from the store here. Man, I need to do a lot more reading on how to best use these products before my boxes arrive. :glasses3:
    CG since Nov 15

Tends to be a bit dry

Currently trying out:
    John Masters Organics
    Jessicurls
    Curl Keeper

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file