Eyeshadow - where to start?

PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm starting to get into eyeshadow. I'd never been able to get it to work previously (just made my eyes look smaller), but I see so many people whose eyes look great, that I want that too.

I've bought a couple of inexpensive trios. They have some golden shades, cream, dark brown and coppery/bronzey colours. I'm not convinced the pale gold or orangey shade looks right on me though. I also have an old dark grey eyeshadow.

Colouring-wise I have extremely fair skin. I'm paler than NC15 and wear Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Alabaster. My hair is mid-dark brown. My eyes are dark blue/grey. My eyes are deepset. I also have dark circles which can be covered to an extent, but are never invisible.

Because my skin is so pale, the usual thing about light colours bringing your eyes forward/making them look bigger doesn't work on me as it's very tough to find an eyeshadow shade paler than me that also doesn't look hideously dated.

So apart from being unsure what colours to go for, I'm also unsure about how to choose the right colour(s) to wear on any given day. I know it's bad to match eyeshadow to clothing colour, and I feel pretty ok about going for neutrals, but when do you use coloured eyeshadows (like pink, purple, burgundy, green, blue etc?

Does anyone have any eyeshadow recs, either colour or brand? I know MAC is popular on here, but I checked the website and the shadows are £11 a throw..that seems extremely expensive to me and I'm not sure what I would be gaining over a cheaper brand.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Comments

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i would definitely start looking at youtube videos. just type in eyeshadow tutorial. try to find someone who has similars eye to yours and use what they use. they usually post all their products on the side box so it makes it so much easier.

be careful tho. i've bough SOOO MANNNYY eye shadows because of youtube!!! LOL.

cherryculture.com has lots of stuff and run frequent specials and sales.

eyeslipsface.com is good for beginners cause mostly everything is $1. not the best quality, but somethings will definitely surprise you.

i'm sure rou will chime in soon :)
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Part of your question was when to wear colored shadows.

I have green eyes and adore purple. When I wear a green, black, grey, browns, or white shirt I will usually reach for my plums and violets. I wear greens when I wear purples, blacks, browns, and whites, even pink sometimes. I guess I just use a color that complements the clothes.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    who? me?

:D

piglet, can you get an American brand called Milani over there? they duplicate MAC shades at a fraction of the cost.

look for pale shades in the peach-pink range and golden browns for everyday.

i wear colours when i'm wearing colours - purples when i wear blue, sometimes with black. i wear green eye shadow with black clothes. most of the time, i wear browns myself - my eyes are VERY dark brown with a red undertone, they look like MAC Embark eye shadow.

how about Sephora's house brand? they have dozens of colours at fairly reasonable prices.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you tons for the responses! I will definitely look at videos on youtube.

It makes sense about the colours. I still find myself being drawn to colours the same as clothes I have, but I'm firmly steering myself away. I guess I'll have to experiment and when in doubt, go neutral!

I bought some eyeshadow today! I got some browns, a lilac colour, a dark blue and some plummy colours. I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I'm not sure whether I've got quite the right browns yet. I couldn't find any nice peachy pinks in the ranges I have a voucher for. I'm not sure that golden or orangey colours work on my eyes. In fact, I don't think anything too pale works. I am extremely pale skinned, but have dark eye lashes and a dark eye colour (even though it's blue/grey). Greys seem to look ok. I'm going to try plummy colours. I used the dark blue as a liner today and I think it worked.

Anyway, thanks a ton.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can wear almost any color e/s with any color clothing...the main things I try to remember are: don't match your clothing exactly (as already said) and try not to clash.

For example, I would not wear orange e/s with a neon green shirt. I also probably wouldn't wear green e/s with a red outfit (too Christmasy), or orange and black (too Halloweenish).

Youtube is a great rec. Check out Apropomakeup, BeautyArtStudio, Krawls, Queen of Blending, Jennisse, debstan, brilliantbrntte, wetpaintmakeup, makeupgeek, panacea, petrilude, sunnishinee and kandeejohnson...for techniques and color combos. Don't be too shocked, as they can get wild!

As for brands, see if you can find NYX. It's fairly cheap and has a great selection. A lot of YT MUAs use some NYX products as staples. Great tip on the Milani, rou!

IMO, the differences in cheaper/pricier brands are:
    *color variety
    *color payoff/intensity
    *blendability

g/l...makeup is so much fun!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Phoenix, that makes sense. I will have a look at Youtube. I think I'm going to buy some better quality eyeshadow too. I got some from a pretty decent brand, but it goes on like mud. I'm debating biting the bullet and going for Bobbi Brown. I also suspect that pale colours do not suit me. I think I need deep colours.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i second watching youtube. there are great tutorials & reviews on there. i absolutely love mac eyeshadow. loreal hip & nyx have good color pigments too (if you wanted to pay less, practice and try out more colors). i didn't like stila eyeshadows (not enough color pigmentation).
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HC is so right about Stila. Same goes for many Nars colors.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^omigawd, yes to Stila and NARS... i was sooooo disappointed given what they cost me!

my favourite NARS is a shade called Cairo that looked amazing in the pan (bought it from offline), but barely shows up on me - and i'm lily white! for Stila, the only colour i recommend to anyone is Kitten for that subtle shimmer at the inside corner of the eye look - and it comes in a liquid version now too.

Bobbi Brown's 17 shades of brown can all be found at MAC for cheaper! :D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • kayasmommykayasmommy Posts: 109Registered Users
    I'd always worn the same brown eyeshadow for years, because it was the only thing I knew how to do. Recently (maybe 8-10 months ago) I started branching out and experimenting with colors. Now I love all colors and brands. The suggestion to check out YT videos was a good one! I've learned a lot and gotten a lot of great ideas about combos/looks to wear. Because I have darker skin, I like colors that are richer and more pigmented. I happen to love NARS shadows, and MAC too. They are pricey, so I try to get them only when I can catch a sale. Loreal has a line called HIP (High Intensitey Pigments) and their shadows have 2 complimentary colors in one pan. I find them to be very pigmented and easy to use.

Personally, I like playing in my makeup, so I tend to practice with colors I'm not sure about before I wear them out. But really, there are no rules! Just have fun with it!
    Twitter! :hello2:

Fotki! :hello2:

BC: November 28, 2008
    Tragedy Strikes: March 16, 2010...The Flat-Iron Disaster!!!

Updated (Post-Disaster) Staples:
    • Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar
    • Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
    • Roux Porosity Control Shampoo/Condish
    • V05 Moisture Milks Condish
    • Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Condish
    • Kinky Curly Knot Today
    • Castor Oil & Shea Butter
    • Monthly Henna Treatments
    Bobbi Brown's 17 shades of brown can all be found at MAC for cheaper! :iconbiggrin:
    Hee...Also true. That's why I don't like BB much. Too neutral. One color though, Camel, does rock.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file