Your methods for growth

MslizziaMslizzia Registered Users Posts: 600
Right now i have a sew-in because i have found that my hair is at its best, when im not touching it. Lol.
I mean it just grows like wild fire.:love4: This is one of the reasons that i can't wait until its at least long enough for me to wear twist.

Anyway, according to your hair, what have you found to be the best for you to grow out your hair?

~~~side note: i started a blog dedicated strictly to natural hair. I had to. It WAS EATING AWAY AT ME!! http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com/~~ ~~~

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    Actually I agree with you.

Keep the moisture protein balance right.

Don't touch it and when I do handle it gently.

Keep the ends protected.

Care for my scalp with some nourishing growth aids like herbs etc.

Make sure I am eating right and take some good supplements.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• MslizziaMslizzia Registered Users Posts: 600

Keep the ends protected.

This is a MUST for me because i keep my sew-ins or braids for 3 months at a time and lawd knows when i take it out, my hair needs some serious EVERYTHING.

But it grows so much over that time span that i get kinda addicted and do it again for 3 more months. That's the plan right now. Protective styling for nine months.
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    For me, the key is in scalp and ends care as well lots of moisture. I oil my hair twice a week with castor oil and I always seals my ends when setting in braids/twists. I never let my hair dry loose.

Also, working with my hair in sections makes a big difference. I don't loose much hair at all during my weekly wash session or during a rebraid/retwist session. I separate the tangles as much as i can with my fingers prior to using my shower comb by working in four sections. I do you a rat tail comb as well as a denman type brush to keep the tangles and knots at bay on the ends.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
    thought there would be more advice :angry3:
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    protective styling, castor oil, exercise, staying away from heat, eating healthy, deep conditioning and protein treatments.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
    protective styling, castor oil, exercise, staying away from heat, eating healthy, deep conditioning and protein treatments.

I need to start implementing this..
  • MsC.MsC. Registered Users Posts: 489
    I keep my hair up and off my clothing to prevent breakage,dt once a week overnight with AOHSR, no heat,use jane carter nourish and shine and castor oil on my ends.

I use the dry gel method for styling(long aid +ecostyler clear) it helps to hold moisture in my hair and the style stays for a week or more(so low manipulation).

At night i spritz my hair with GDLI and water and rub qhemet brbc through my hair and twist in 4 large twists,or two buns or pineapple my hair on top of my head.I sleep on satin pillows.

For supplements I take:
    Calcium citrate
    Sublingual B12
    Vit C
    Spring Valley hair skin and nails
    Dail total one maxi sorb multivit by country life
    and 1,000mg of msm in powder form in organic cranberry juice.
    I also exercise and drink about 100ozs or more of water a day with green tea in between.
    I recently started to incorporate ayurvedic herbs into my system and hair so we will see how that works out.
    HTH
    MsC.
    Big Chop August 23,2008 myself&two daughters;-)
    Fia`s system:3c/4aMii
    INSANITY WORKOUT week 3 Day 1 7lbs lost to date:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Registered Users Posts: 1,458
    For me, I've been getting great growth by:

1) Deep conditioning
    2) Ayurvedic Pastes
    3) Scalp massages
    4) Hair oiling
    5) Protein treatments
    6) Moisturizing & Sealing
    7) Trimming

HTH! :)
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    How do you do scalp massages? And how do you use herbs? I recently got a whole lot of dried herbs(hibiscus flowers, peppermint leaf, basil, rosemary, irish moss, fenugreek, burdock root, nettle, lavendar, hibiscus powder, amla powder, and henna). I thought that I would know what to do with them but I don't.lol. I feel overwhelmed. I wonder if some of them clean the scalp.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    There have been a couple of threads on retaining legnth and that is my issue. Before I had color I thought my hair never grew. With the highlights I got I could see my hair was growing at a decent rate. It just broke off about as fast as it grew.

Now, I focus on keeping my ends moisturized and protected and have noticed a big difference. Vitamins, eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and exercising help too.

If I can just stop letting stylists cut it then I really have it made. :blackeye:
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    CocoT wrote: »
    How do you do scalp massages? And how do you use herbs? I recently got a whole lot of dried herbs(hibiscus flowers, peppermint leaf, basil, rosemary, irish moss, fenugreek, burdock root, nettle, lavendar, hibiscus powder, amla powder, and henna). I thought that I would know what to do with them but I don't.lol. I feel overwhelmed. I wonder if some of them clean the scalp.

With scalp massages, you can use any moisturizer or oil and it's use to stimulate your scalp for increased growth.

I'm no herbs expert so I have little advice. The things that I think of are tea rinses and infused oils. You can find recipes through a web search.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com

With scalp massages, you can use any moisturizer or oil and it's use to stimulate your scalp for increased growth.

I'm no herbs expert so I have little advice. The things that I think of are tea rinses and infused oils. You can find recipes through a web search.

That massage sounds awesome. I think im going to ask my s/o to help me out with that.... :thumright:

Scalp massages are really easy. Usually I take a little but of oil (vatika oil or Afroveda's Shikakai Hair Growth Elixir) and with the pads of my fingers, I massage my scalp slowly. It's really soothing and it encourages blood circulation. Please note, that I use either of those oils since they're easily absorbed.

Regarding herbs, there are herbs that you can use for shampooing as well as conditioning. I mostly use herbs for conditioning. After my overnight oiling treatment and shampooing, I cover my hair strands with my paste. My paste contains amla, brahmi, maka, fenugreek and coconut milk. Sometimes, I make a herbal tea with hibiscus powder infused in water for some days. In ayurvedic pastes, some ladies use all sorts of herbs. The most important factor to note is which herb is used for which purpose.

If you wish to use herbs for shampooing as well, you can mix aritha, shikakai, neem and even a little maka. Before using these, you should do an overnight oiling (cover the hair strands with some sort of oil such as vatika or coconut oil) or even do a hot oil treatment before. This acts as a barrier between the hair shaft and the shampoo, which prevents over drying. These 'shampoo' like herbs can be very drying and most ladies here recommends that you oil before. However, the results are marvelous. I highly recommend using herbs in your hair care regimen. :happy2:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried leaving them in for less time? I know everyone's different but I've had more than one stylist say that you shouldn't leave a weave in for more than a mth or 2 b/c your hair needs to "breathe." I personally could never leave mine in for more than 5 or 6 weeks b/c they would literally be hanging on by a thread at that point :laughing9: My hair would grow to the point where my braids were unraveling (plus my hair doesn't hold braids well at all) and it would be in need of a wash like nobody's business lol. I did find that my hair grew like a weed though.
    Mslizzia wrote: »

Keep the ends protected.

This is a MUST for me because i keep my sew-ins or braids for 3 months at a time and lawd knows when i take it out, my hair needs some serious EVERYTHING.

But it grows so much over that time span that i get kinda addicted and do it again for 3 more months. That's the plan right now. Protective styling for nine months.
    comic-p.jpg
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    oops I meant to multiquote. What is the dry gel method?
    MsC. wrote: »
    I keep my hair up and off my clothing to prevent breakage,dt once a week overnight with AOHSR, no heat,use jane carter nourish and shine and castor oil on my ends.

I use the dry gel method for styling(long aid +ecostyler clear) it helps to hold moisture in my hair and the style stays for a week or more(so low manipulation).

At night i spritz my hair with GDLI and water and rub qhemet brbc through my hair and twist in 4 large twists,or two buns or pineapple my hair on top of my head.I sleep on satin pillows.

For supplements I take:
    Calcium citrate
    Sublingual B12
    Vit C
    Spring Valley hair skin and nails
    Dail total one maxi sorb multivit by country life
    and 1,000mg of msm in powder form in organic cranberry juice.
    I also exercise and drink about 100ozs or more of water a day with green tea in between.
    I recently started to incorporate ayurvedic herbs into my system and hair so we will see how that works out.
    HTH
    MsC.
    comic-p.jpg
    Have you tried leaving them in for less time? I know everyone's different but I've had more than one stylist say that you shouldn't leave a weave in for more than a mth or 2 b/c your hair needs to "breathe." I personally could never leave mine in for more than 5 or 6 weeks b/c they would literally be hanging on by a thread at that point :laughing9: My hair would grow to the point where my braids were unraveling (plus my hair doesn't hold braids well at all) and it would be in need of a wash like nobody's business lol. I did find that my hair grew like a weed though.

Keep the ends protected.

Well i know about the whole "breathing thing" but my hair does just fine with the 3 month stretch. Im really impressed by it really. It helps it grow out soooo much better and faster cuz its a long time before i touch it
    I can see that. My hair does a lot better when I don't touch it either. I wonder what that says about me though :laughing1:

Well i know about the whole "breathing thing" but my hair does just fine with the 3 month stretch. Im really impressed by it really. It helps it grow out soooo much better and faster cuz its a long time before i touch it
    comic-p.jpg
  • AGrlCanMACAGrlCanMAC Registered Users Posts: 157
    For me, the key is in scalp and ends care as well lots of moisture. I oil my hair twice a week with castor oil and I always seals my ends when setting in braids/twists. I never let my hair dry loose.

Also, working with my hair in sections makes a big difference. I don't loose much hair at all during my weekly wash session or during a rebraid/retwist session. I separate the tangles as much as i can with my fingers prior to using my shower comb by working in four sections. I do you a rat tail comb as well as a denman type brush to keep the tangles and knots at bay on the ends.

What she said! Sectioning is the ish. I can get my hair in 6 sections now, I can't wait till it's long enough for 4. I can't do the denman anymore. I was losing too much hair so now I just use my fingers and follow up with my shower comb. But yeah my hair shows up and shows out when I keep it and the ends especially moisturized n leave it alone.

I also lose less hair when I wear my hair in twists or stretched styles like twist outs and braids outs. In it's natural state, it tangles like crazy. Wash n go's are a no no for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4A, Coily
    GOC 2009! Who's with me!
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Registered Users Posts: 339 Curl Novice
    I'm not one with much patients when it comes to twisting hair it just takes up too much time and I get seriously bored and end up going to do something else with only part of my hair done.:laughing6:
    I do moisturize my hair twice daily, the second time when I get home at the end of the day and concentrate on the ends of my hair. I also take a multivit, biotin 1000mg, msm 750mg, and silica although I don't take the silica often as the tablet is way too big for someone who has only just got used to swallowing tablets. I drink loads of water and exercise regularly all which I believe helps aid hair growth not forgetting a balanced diet, I managed to up my growth rate by 1/4".

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    There have been a couple of threads on retaining legnth and that is my issue. Before I had color I thought my hair never grew. With the highlights I got I could see my hair was growing at a decent rate. It just broke off about as fast as it grew.

Now, I focus on keeping my ends moisturized and protected and have noticed a big difference. Vitamins, eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and exercising help too.

If I can just stop letting stylists cut it then I really have it made. :blackeye:
    +1. I went from brown to my natural gray within 16 months so it's hard to deny that my hair grows pretty well. But I don't have twice the length I did 16 months ago. It's retaining the length that's the challenge.

I also baby my ends by moisturizing them; protect hair at night, do twist and curls half the time to stretch the ends. I drink more water in the dryer weather, use shea butter in the dryer weather, do oil and honey rinses, and wet my hair more. I have no growth aids aside from my multi and a pill that's mostly vitamin C but also has 2gms of biotin and some l-cysteine.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    CoCoT:
    I make a homemade moisture spritz with a strong brew of herbs. My mix inculdes burdock, nettel, lavender, irish moss w/ aloe vera juice and a few other things. Greaat for non cowash days and to just rehydrate my curls.

Scalp and end hydration is key for me:

I have been doing a tea rise with made with hibiscus flowers and amla w/ every wash = soft hydrated hair

Also I made my own Amla oil infusion, I mix that with food grade aloe vera gel, put it in a dye applicator bottle and get it close the scalp. I leave this on for an hour before co washing or over night.= hydrated non itchy sclap.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Registered Users Posts: 475
    I drink lots of water as well as taking care of my scalp and hair with various herbs.

event.png
  • KitathenaKitathena Registered Users Posts: 1,666 Curl Neophyte
    I used to do scalp massages regularly, but I am lazy. Now I only apply oils to my scalp to stop any itchiness.

What I attribute my growth /retentionto:
    Exercise
    Health eating
    Protective styling
    Deep conditioning
    Not trimming except for knots and every blue moon
    Satin scarves, bonnets, etc
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
    CoCoT:
    I make a homemade moisture spritz with a strong brew of herbs. My mix inculdes burdock, nettel, lavender, irish moss w/ aloe vera juice and a few other things. Greaat for non cowash days and to just rehydrate my curls.

Scalp and end hydration is key for me:

I have been doing a tea rise with made with hibiscus flowers and amla w/ every wash = soft hydrated hair

Also I made my own Amla oil infusion, I mix that with food grade aloe vera gel, put it in a dye applicator bottle and get it close the scalp. I leave this on for an hour before co washing or over night.= hydrated non itchy sclap.

When do you do your tea rinse? Before co-washing? After you shampoo? Just curious...I have all this tea and herbs but not sure how/when to do it.
    comic-p.jpg

Scalp massages are really easy. Usually I take a little but of oil (vatika oil or Afroveda's Shikakai Hair Growth Elixir) and with the pads of my fingers, I massage my scalp slowly. It's really soothing and it encourages blood circulation. Please note, that I use either of those oils since they're easily absorbed.

Regarding herbs, there are herbs that you can use for shampooing as well as conditioning. I mostly use herbs for conditioning. After my overnight oiling treatment and shampooing, I cover my hair strands with my paste. My paste contains amla, brahmi, maka, fenugreek and coconut milk. Sometimes, I make a herbal tea with hibiscus powder infused in water for some days. In ayurvedic pastes, some ladies use all sorts of herbs. The most important factor to note is which herb is used for which purpose.

If you wish to use herbs for shampooing as well, you can mix aritha, shikakai, neem and even a little maka. Before using these, you should do an overnight oiling (cover the hair strands with some sort of oil such as vatika or coconut oil) or even do a hot oil treatment before. This acts as a barrier between the hair shaft and the shampoo, which prevents over drying. These 'shampoo' like herbs can be very drying and most ladies here recommends that you oil before. However, the results are marvelous. I highly recommend using herbs in your hair care regimen. :happy2:

These are really good suggestions. I think I missed this post before. Where do u get your herbs? And is the coconut milk what makes it a paste? Do you mix the oils with the milk and get a paste that way?
    comic-p.jpg
  • msamuelsmsamuels Registered Users Posts: 113
    Keeping Hand out of hair can be a problem. I have twist extentions in and I can't help feeling my scalp and new growth. If feels good and is comforting (I know odd).

One thing I'm trying to understand is moisturizing ends while in twists (w/o extentions).
    If find my ends get ravelled/messy, and I struggle with split ends and I'm not sure if this may aid in it spliting. Does anyone have a particular technique that they use to keep their ends moisturized while it's braided or twists?
    Michelle. 4a/4b,3c
    "I am more than the limits of my body...because Christ is my soul. The soul outlives the body and certainly is more powerful and impactful."
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    msamuels wrote: »
    One thing I'm trying to understand is moisturizing ends while in twists (w/o extentions).
    If find my ends get ravelled/messy, and I struggle with split ends and I'm not sure if this may aid in it spliting. Does anyone have a particular technique that they use to keep their ends moisturized while it's braided or twists?

In the winter time, I mist my hair with a moisturizing leave-in spray, twice daily, making sure to get the ends. I then follow with a very rich, thick butter, twice daily, on the ends. My current favs for ends are Coconut Confidence and Claudie's End Insurance #1. They're just...excellent. I don't have a problem with knots, or split ends...I get them occasionally, but they're not problematic.

Also make sure when you twist you smooth out your ends. I have a rat tail seamless comb, and the teeth aren't too closely spaced. I use it for parting, and gently combing out my damp ends, when I twist.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    @MixedUpCurlyChick

Sorry for taking so long to post. I purchase my herbs from www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com . I don't mix any oils in my paste. I started with using water and the powders to make my paste. Then I found coconut milk and it helps me to rinse out the paste even easier. You can use either, it's your preference. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file