Spritz and Condish Washing for Porous Types+Thirsty Curls Everywhere!

Comments

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    I also agree with AJJ's comments. I used S&C again yesterday (pic attached) and still find it works well. I was starting to think I had my porosity wrong, but I don't think so as all characteristics still point to low and med. It must be that the extra time with condish helps my hair to absorb and benefit from it. The only thing that I can consistently report that differs from the more porous types is no change in the drying time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users
    Link I mentioned earlier, the one about Struttswife discussing water absorption: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=63818. Post #18.

It was that post that got me thinking about my porosity and how the S&C method might help get moisture into my hair.

I should also clarify that yes, using less water like DEL2C and porous girls use is beneficial, but the part about the method that I think is working for me is having the heavier condish on first instead of the old routine I did: wet the hair, use lighter COwash, then my rinse out condish. By the time I was putting the heavier condish on my hair, my hair was waterlogged and wasn't absorbing it. I do still use a rinse out after I COwash, but that's probably out of dry hair paranoia.
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I just lost my whole book I typed! UGH!:hmph: Stupid TWC!

Anyway I think for Tahia it allows the condish to get in and penetrate...by allowing adequate time. Her hair looses moisture more slowly than mine and in a very specific way. It starts from the ends and works up..like shriveling or something. That's how we know to wash/condish her hair..when it hits about 2-4 inches up the strands. Her canopy will also appear dry to the touch and her front strands (they look bleached but we don't highlight her hair..maybe the sun IDK) will get dry.

I think peaches is right on..heavier condish first. Tahia's hair is definitely medium to coarse..there are some fine strands but they are no longer the majority as she gets older.

We don't notice any drying time difference. In braid (s) her hair takes 2 days minimum to fully dry. That hasn't changed. I also don't think we can go further w/o wash/condish...it's really in the non poofy and softness of her hair. It lays better with this method....since we started using tons of LI we haven't really had the poof problem or frizz problems we were having..and her hair was soft..but nothing like this method gives us....The plus when it is soft is also that it is more malleable (sp?) and I don't have to use as much other product to lay it down to go into a ponytail.

She's very happy with it and I'm not sure her hair can be O'Ced...we'll report back if that happens but I'd be surprised..with how dry it is ... seems very unlikely.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    angel29ish wrote: »
    I also agree with AJJ's comments. I used S&C again yesterday (pic attached) and still find it works well. I was starting to think I had my porosity wrong, but I don't think so as all characteristics still point to low and med. It must be that the extra time with condish helps my hair to absorb and benefit from it. The only thing that I can consistently report that differs from the more porous types is no change in the drying time.

G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! I :love5: your hair!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    Anyway I think for Tahia it allows the condish to get in and penetrate...by allowing adequate time. Her hair looses moisture more slowly than mine and in a very specific way. It starts from the ends and works up..like shriveling or something. That's how we know to wash/condish her hair..when it hits about 2-4 inches up the strands. Her canopy will also appear dry to the touch and her front strands (they look bleached but we don't highlight her hair..maybe the sun IDK) will get dry.

That's how mine does it!!! Mine I think I can explain: the ends of my hair are the oldest (I know, duh), but my canopy and front has the finest strands. Those finer strands have shown me that they lose protein, moisture, and color the fastest.

Since getting my hair balanced out, the drying time seems about normal.

And I'd love to have that hair angel29ish! What I'd give for those spirals...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I'm trying this again since my hair does need redone. I'm using the Lustrasilk Shea Mango as the pre-shower conditioner this time since I still have my tub from last winter, lol. It hasn't gotten cold yet so I really haven't needed it yet this fall.

At least it smells better than the AOWC I used yesterday.

I'll report back to make sure that it still works and that yesterday wasn't a fluke. :angel2:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Thanks so much Alexjoujou and Peaches!:oops: I think you both are onto something...it totally makes sense. Alex, you are such a good mom spending time with your daughter's hair. My DD also has curly hair and there were many times when she was growing up that it was a challenge. Good on ya'!
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I'm trying this again since my hair does need redone. I'm using the Lustrasilk Shea Mango as the pre-shower conditioner this time since I still have my tub from last winter, lol. It hasn't gotten cold yet so I really haven't needed it yet this fall.

At least it smells better than the AOWC I used yesterday.

I'll report back to make sure that it still works and that yesterday wasn't a fluke. :angel2:

I did it yesterday with Lustrasilk Mango!! It worked great for me and got 2nd day with no problema ;)

Alex what you say makes perfect sense about your daughter! I'm going to Edit the thread title for sure now.

Peaches I actually linked that thread on Post #79, I hope you didn't have to work too hard to find it!! I wanted to show that SW talked about doing DT's by spritzing first & I so no reason to do our Co-washing this way too! You agree now I see :toothy3:. I don't know if doing S&C on a daily basis would lead to being OC'd or not. I haven't yet there were a couple times this Fall when my hair was a little softer then I liked but it was still workable. I try to avoid doing my hair on a daily basis, it's just a pain for me :lol: so if you do get OC'd let us know. Hopefully you won't.

angel......oh my.....oh my.... what HAIR absolutely GORJ!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I used Lustrasilk S/M that way once! Worked great!

DEL2C, come to think of it, it may have been this thread that I first saw that convo! <forehead smack> LOL! I didn't have to look real hard, I put the link in another response recently so I just looked there. But yeah, that post made me really start thinking about how this method might work for me. Glad I tried it again!

I should mention that the one time I got OC'd, it was way before my hearing about S&C (this thread) AND before I chopped the damage off (~6 inches I think?). The OC'ing was early on in CG, the only product I had with protein at that time was Suave coconut. It just wasn't enough for my hair.

Thanks so much Del! Coming from you, with your absolutely beautiful hair, means alot. I have a friend in California who is picking me up some of the Shea Mango Lustrasilk and sending it (Sallys doesn't ship to Canada :disgust:). I can't wait to try it.
    I used the S&C again today with NG Hemp, just got back from a wild football game...(we are going to the Grey Cup!! - Canadian version of the Superbowl)and hair is holding up great. During the week I find it hard to use this method because of over use of the snooze button...I really need to get into a better routine.:laughing1: Thanks again.
    CG - July 2009
    Too many others to list!
    It turned out well today too, even if it did get rumples later, lol. With a little pomade before capping it tonight I should get second day hair tomorrow.

For those of you using it regularly, do you prefer haveier or lighter conditioners for this? If it makes a difference, I don't get overconditioned easily. I've been CG or semi CG since 2006 and I think I have been overconditioned for about 3 days of it, lol.

• lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    I think I did it wrong because I got a TON of frizz :(

I sprayed my hair. However, perhaps I did it too much? It was a little drippy which leads me too think I over did it with the spraying... except it wasn't as wet as it usually is when I come out of the shower? I probably also messed up because I forgot one had to scrunch in the conditioner and instead I sort of raked it through and THEN I remembered and scrunched. Finally, when I went in the shower I used a bit of my cowash to scrub my scalp. I rinsed it all off and did a honey rinse.

Would the honey rinse have been too much?

I styled as usual, spraying LI and scrunching in gel.
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
    loto spraying too much wouldn't give you frizz. I don't think raking vs. scrunching makes much difference because you're wetting again in the shower. What conditioner did you use?

Depending on your dew points the Honey rinse could cause frizz because of it's humectant properties. There's a thread about Honey in the newbie section and how it's used.

RCC I've used it with any of my conditioners. The results I get vary in terms of curl enhancement and smoothing properties but not over conditioning.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Thanks Del for the input. What seems to be giving you better enhancement?

At the moment I've gotten the best results from Aura Cherry Almond Bark, CJ Rehab, LVPNG (always works for me) I've used Lustrasilk Shea M. once so far & plan to use it again, I really liked the results. Aura, LVPNG & Lustrasilk have Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine which seem to agree with me very well :D I've gotten mixed results with Mop Greens but I'm not sure if it was due to the combo of Stylers I chose.
    Discovered CG 2007

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    After reading upthread from another fine curly having good results, I gave it a try. I am not a coarse or a porous head, I'm most definitely fine-haired and extremely non-porous, but I tried this method today with great success!

I spritzed my hair until quite damp but not soaking dripping wet and applied about 2 finger scoops of Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol condish and let it sit on my hair for about 30 minutes. I got in the shower to rinse a bit and then I low-pooed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink]. After rinsing out and squeezing most of the water out with my hands, I reapplied another 2 finger scoops of the Lustrasilk and lightly raked and scrunched through. I scrunched more with a t-shirt and scrunched in a small amount of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Smoothing-Gellie-p-937.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Smoothing-Gellie]Curl Junkie Smoothing Gellie[/buylink] and diffused.

The first thing I noticed is how silky soft and moisturized my hair feels. The next thing I noticed is tons of curls and more volume than I usually get. The drying time was not reduced, but my hair always takes a long time to dry.

Thanks, DEL! This seems to be a great method for all sorts of hair types. :happy6:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think some of the difference between the fine and coarse curlies can be seen in amounts used also.

I'm using two palmfulls of conditioner and Misspam is using two to four fingerscoops. :) That does make a difference.

I think some of the difference between the fine and coarse curlies can be seen in amounts used also.

I'm using two palmfulls of conditioner and Misspam is using two to four fingerscoops. :) That does make a difference.

You're right though I am surprised by how much of the Lustrasilk I can use as a leave-in without it weighing down my fine hair. Two palmfuls on my head would most certainly be overkill!

I just measured my fingerscoop and it is equivalent to 1 tablespoon. So I used 2 tablespoons for the initial application and 2 tablespoons for my leave-in.

Still not nearly the amount you use, RCC, or any other more coarse-haired curly. I still think this is going to be another winter where el-cheapo Lustrasilk saves my hair! :love7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OK, my big jug of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] came in today and I'm wetting my hair for a third day in a row, lol. I haven't done that in months, but new guy will ruffle the hair...

I just did the spritz part and I already like it better with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]. Hell, it looks good enough now that it looks like I just styled it. I'm sure the behentrimonium methosulfate has something to do with it because my hair responds well to it, but I also think that this must be an acidic conditioner.

The first ingredient is mango fruit extract. I don't know the pH of it, but I am assuming that a fruit extract is somewhat acidic. I have wondered why finer curlies who hair is less dry than mine have said that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] is not moisturizing when I find that it is. It may well be an acidity thing. An acidic conditioner may just sit on non porous hair while it helps control porous hair.

I swear, if [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] ever goes away or changes formulations, I will cry like a 4 year old who lost her Halloween candy.

misspam wrote: »

You're right though I am surprised by how much of the Lustrasilk I can use as a leave-in without it weighing down my fine hair. Two palmfuls on my head would most certainly be overkill!

I just measured my fingerscoop and it is equivalent to 1 tablespoon. So I used 2 tablespoons for the initial application and 2 tablespoons for my leave-in.

Still not nearly the amount you use, RCC, or any other more coarse-haired curly. I still think this is going to be another winter where el-cheapo Lustrasilk saves my hair! :love7:

That Lustrasilk is a winter lifesaver, and you can't beat the price!

• jpinillajpinilla Posts: 6Registered Users
    I am non-porous. I tried this technique this morning with really good results. My scalp tends to get very oily after cleansing my hair, but the rest of my hair fares well with regularly washing/conditioning, so this technique was pretty spot on with this problem. For some reason, for the last six months or so, my curl formation and definition have been increasing lacking. This technique brought my hair back to 3b spirally curls after they had fallen into the 2c category. Not to mention, my curls are actually SHINY and I have the body I used to!

Only thing I'm wondering is, how do you deal with your curls close to your head after you've hanged your head over for washing/conditioning and styling? Do you finger comb your curls down at the scalp a little before styling so the hair closest to your scalp isn't as messy? I was almost scared about what my hair would look like after I hanged my head over to wash/condition, then immediately kept it hanging over as I paper towel blotted and scrunched in my gel. After this, I flipped my head back over and had a mess at the top of my head. I was patient though, and didn't touch anything until it was dry, and after drying, the hair at the top of my head had laid down considerably. After it was dry I flipped my head back over and shook the hair at the roots with my fingertips to separate the hair closest to the scalp and help it lie down. It worked perfectly. No mess anymore.

I guess I'm just asking if there are any steps you should do with this method after getting out of the shower and before styling your hair. :compress:
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users
    Results of trying the S&C method for the first time tonight after my workout:

First thing I noticed: I need a fluffy terry bathrobe for this technique. I put on a silky robe and soaked my shoulders with the spritzing and was very cold while I sat with the conditioner on my hair.

Second thing: I shouldn't use a sweet-smelling conditioner while I sit with it on my hair while I eat dinner. My olfactory senses were confusing my gustatory senses!

But overall, my hair felt extra soft and slippery in the shower when I rinsed out the co (CJ H&B Deep Fix). I co-washed with Suave Naturals Coconut, rinsed, shook out a little water, smoothed a little AOMM on, squeezed out water with a flour sack towel, plopped, and am airdrying. I'm hoping for Del-like waves before bed.

I think this method helps the hair soak up the conditioner better. Thanks Del!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    Ok so I've spent the better part of the evening reading thru this waaayyy long thread.
    Don't know where I have been that I missed the whole darn thing.
    I think from the title of it I just disregarded it to mean something to use like on 2nd day hair??
    Ya know to refresh it or something.

Tomorrow after work I'm gonna give it a try.
    It makes sense to me to add condish to dampened hair and let it sit for a while B4 getting it all saturated with water.
    Possibly this waaayy dense mop will absorb the condish more than the water.

Will post the results and hopefully some pics if I can get BF to take some for me.

Thanks for posting this thread DEL!!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Oh dear. All this raving is making me wonder why it wasn't working so well for me. Obviously I'll be trying again tomorrow.

Also, is it possible I'm the only person for whom Lustrasilk is useless?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    I've never been able to determine my porosity using the various tests, but based on the fact that my hair slurps protein like crazy, I've decided that I must be porous.

I normally only wet my hair twice a week, so it's been slow going trying to test this method, but I think it's going to be a winner for me.

On Sunday nights I low-poo/PT/DT. The difference now is that 1) after I low-poo, I squeeze the water out of my hair several times before applying the PT, and 2) after I rinse out the PT I plop with a flour sack towel for 3-5 minutes before applying the DT ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]JC WDT[/buylink]).

On Wed nights, I do the regular S&C; lately I've been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MOP-C-System-Hydrating-Conditioner-p-921.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=modern-organic-products-csystem-hydrating-conditioner-intensive-conditioning-for-medium-to-coarse-hairment]Mop-C Hydrating conditioner[/buylink].

I use a LOT of conditioner both times, but since I'm only applying twice a week, OC hasn't been a problem. And even though I'm applying more DT than before, there's nothing but a light film left in my plastic cap when I take it off, so it would seem that my hair is able to take up more of the DT than before.

Now that the dews have dropped, I'm using less gel than I do in the summer. I've also started using a small amount of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] for a LI.

I haven't seen a decrease in the air drying time; in fact, it seems to take LONGER to dry, in spite of using less gel. Maybe it's due to adding the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], or maybe it's just because the house is cooler with the lower temps. :dontknow:

What I AM seeing, though, is NO FRIZZ, and much less prone to tangling. And the curls are more defined and hold up longer, even with less gel. I'm sure some of this improvement is related to the dews decreasing into the moderate range, but I feel that the S&C is making a big difference too. :blob3:
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg

You forgot to add with rumples in her hair :lol:

another good report from RCC, WOOT WOOT!

Oh Miss Pamy! I'm tickled pink :love1: that you even tried this! I'm actually surprised that you could use LOOC as your conditioner! It's actually meant to be used as a LI. When I tried it last yr. as a rinse out it was YUK. Must be the fine hair on your head! Give it a try with another condish too! The Aura worked very nicely. I haven't had a condish not work well as long as it got ingredients that my hair likes.

This is so cool curlies from all lengths and textures with good results! Keep it going girls!!!
    OTC-have you tried Lustrasilk again since your BC?? I can't imagine the Shea Mango not working for you as a DT now that your hair is healthy. The Shea may not absorb well as a LI because it's made for porous hair. I still prefer the Olive Oil as a LI. Unless it's the dead of Winter the Shea Mango weighs me down & then I'll rotate between the 2.
    Discovered CG 2007

Anything for you DEL my :tweety:

I am actually surprised it worked because I thought only porous heads would benefit. But when I read further and realized why it works, by introducing condish before the hair gets saturated by water, it made sense to give it a try. My hair is stubbornly non-porous and is probably the reason why I have always suffered with dry hair.

With the Lustrasilk, I normally do not care for it as a rinse-out either because it lacks slip, but using it in this manner, sort of as a pre-poo, seemed to work very well. And as a winter leave-in, I can pile it on my fine hair without worry of getting weighed down.

I will be trying this new method with other condish as well. I have the Aura, KBB Super Silky, and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]! I'm hoping for wonderfully moisturized hair all winter long.

Thanks, DEL! :love1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    OTC-have you tried Lustrasilk again since your BC?? I can't imagine the Shea Mango not working for you as a DT now that your hair is healthy. The Shea may not absorb well as a LI because it's made for porous hair. I still prefer the Olive Oil as a LI. Unless it's the dead of Winter the Shea Mango weighs me down & then I'll rotate between the 2.

I used the Shea Mango for the pre-poo portion of the SC method some time last week, it left my hair feeling very rough when I was ready to shower. I'll try it again as an actual DT, though.

Today I did the SC after using the OOC as an overnight DT (very generous slathering). I added a little Nature's Gate (using it up) to help co-wash, then got in the shower and rinsed. My hair felt marginally conditioned (not the quality I expect from a DT). But it seems I mixed which Lustrasilk for the two tasks!

Today I'm leaving in GVP balm (well, the Walgreens kind), and I've been doing that with success for a couple weeks (that used to leave my hair SO producty feeling). Any thoughts on the switch?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    OTC - I LOVE the Shea Mango, but I have to use heat with it. Even as a pre-poo. Maybe try it like that? Sometimes my GVP CB works better with heat too.

jpinilla - I think I understand what you're asking, so I'll answer about my own flat-top syndrome and what I do for it. I do everything upright as far as S&C and in the shower, and only once I start adding my LIs/stylers do I pick/comb out my hair upside down. My hair doesn't have any memory as far how it was rinsed (upside down or right side up). Also, the pre-poo conditioning is only done on the oldest parts of my hair (not the roots!) since I can get greasy roots otherwise. Does that help at all?

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    OK so I did it tonight.
    I tried to spritz water with my spray bottle but its a pretty crappy spray bottle.
    I ended up using a soaking wet wash cloth to dampen my hair. It worked pretty darn good.

I added some GVP condish balm and AOHR together.
    Left it in my hair for an hour or so when the ends started to dry a bit I added more.
    My hair absorbed the condish pretty good.

Rinsed it out and very little washed out.
    It seemed to have absorbed. Felt great soft and moisturized.
    Used some DevaCare loo-poo on my scalp and length. Followed with VO5 strawberry moisture combed out loose hairs. Almost no tangles. Added my products as usual.
    Towel dryed w/t-shirt towel.
    My hair looks curlier and feels really healthy.
    I think it worked!!!

Thanks Del!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file