MAC cosmetics...where to start?

Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
I love makeup but have never bought MAC stuff...recently I've started to look online at their products and WOW there is a lot.

Any recs on where to start? Basics? Any well known favorites?
3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Comments

• apointeapointe Posts: 199Registered Users
    I'd love to know this too -- they just opened a mini-MAC store by my office and I need to know what impule purchases to make!
    NYC - but originally from Philly!

2c/3a - coarse texture, little volume - still experimenting!

2007-2008 Curly Fantasy Football Champion! :hello1:
  • spoiledcoilsspoiledcoils Posts: 145Registered Users
    If you're just starting out, why not pick up a couple of holiday kits. That way, you get a nice selection of colours to mix and match. Plus, the eye kits come with a mini 239 brush which is super useful and versatile.

If it were me, I'd go for either the 'Smoke and Mirrors' or 'Sorceress' eyeshadow palette and the 'Put a Spell on You' lip bag. Also, Plush Lash mascara and Soft Ochre paint pot as a primer.

I wouldn't bother too much with the brush kits as the quality isn't the same as the full size brushes and I find them quite rough.
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

:love5:
    Working on repairing my spoiled coils!

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i actually wouldn't buy any of the holiday sets because the colours are often limited edition and if you fall in love with one, you could find yourself unable to replace it.

DON'T buy MAC mascara, it's too expensive for what you're getting and drugstore brands are better - especially since you really should replace it every 3 months.

if you're looking for the "best of the basics" of MAC, you can't go wrong with Mulch and Naked Lunch eye shadows, Viva Glam 5 lipstick and lipglass and Buff blush.

beyond that i'd need to know your skin tone and hair and eye colour. i'm well-known around here for picking MAC colours for people...

:lol:
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spoiledcoilsspoiledcoils Posts: 145Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »
    i actually wouldn't buy any of the holiday sets because the colours are often limited edition and if you fall in love with one, you could find yourself unable to replace it.

DON'T buy MAC mascara, it's too expensive for what you're getting and drugstore brands are better - especially since you really should replace it every 3 months.

if you're looking for the "best of the basics" of MAC, you can't go wrong with Mulch and Naked Lunch eye shadows, Viva Glam 5 lipstick and lipglass and Buff blush.

beyond that i'd need to know your skin tone and hair and eye colour. i'm well-known around here for picking MAC colours for people...

While most of MAC's mascaras are pretty unimpressive, I have to say Plush Lash is my all time favourite mascara ever. Having tried everything from drugstore brands to luxury ones, for me, nothing compares. At $15 (cdn) I don't think it's so expensive given that most drugstore mascaras are $8+ and I think it's far superior to $30 mascaras like Dior Show.

Just my opinion though :smile:
    Currently loving:
    Deva Red One Condition
    Nexxus Emergencee
    Deva HIH
    GDLI
    KCCC

:love5:
    Working on repairing my spoiled coils!

• Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users

Well I've never been all that good at skintone, I currently have Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation in Dusk 2C1 which is pretty close to my skin...perhaps a tiny tiny bit too much color but I tend to have some redness on the sides of my cheeks so maybe I'm just seeing that and the color is right.

I have kinda blue-gray eyes that, since I've been pregnant especially, kinda go green depending on what I'm wearing. But I'd say for the most part they're blue just not all that bright.

My hair is a medium to darker brown with a slight reddish/coppery tint to it. Very slight and usually only in the sunlight.

I've noticed that while browns tend to look good with my eyes things that have too much copper or red look really really bad. Cooler browns are much better. And as for gray, I just can't seem to get that color to look right on me. I don't know, i'm not all that good at applying makeup the way some people are so maybe I just don't know how to use the color, but it just looks like a mess on me.
    3a fine hair (I think)

Satin Taupe is a great grey-brown eyeshadow in the regular collection.

i'll send along some more recs when i get home tonight.
    My blog:

• Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    Satin Taupe is a great grey-brown eyeshadow in the regular collection.

i'll send along some more recs when i get home tonight.

Cool thanks! I wish there was a MAC counter around here...I have a feeling I would be in heaven and drop a lot of cash. Maybe it's a good thing the closest one is 1.5 hrs away. Do they give lessons there? I would love to have a lesson on applying eye makeup cause I just never seem to get it quite right
    3a fine hair (I think)

Sephora is better for lessons - they don't charge. but they do charge at MAC, though you may get a credit to use for products.
    My blog:

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sephora is better for lessons - they don't charge. but they do charge at MAC, though you may get a credit to use for products.
    i've never been charged at a mac counter :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kayasmommykayasmommy Posts: 109Registered Users
    I just got into MAC about a year ago. I love a lot of their products. I'd pick one of each essential that you can use the heck out of!!! I started with a foundation (or powder, depending on your preference). Then I chose a couple of eyeshadows. You could ask a makeup artist at the store to help you choose 4 shadows to put in a quad palette. Pick 4 shades/finishes that you can wear every day, for day or night. Then get one lipstick or lipglass, again something you can get a lot of use out of. That'll run you about $100, which is a pretty good price for a full face of quality products. I just added piece by piece--getting myself a "treat" each month for working so hard. Not a big purchase, just a lipglass or a brush, or something. One item at a time. I hope you have good experiences with it. Please, post back and let us know what you choose and how you like it.
    Twitter! :hello2:

Fotki! :hello2:

BC: November 28, 2008
    Tragedy Strikes: March 16, 2010...The Flat-Iron Disaster!!!

Updated (Post-Disaster) Staples:
    • Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar
    • Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
    • Roux Porosity Control Shampoo/Condish
    • V05 Moisture Milks Condish
    • Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Condish
    • Kinky Curly Knot Today
    • Castor Oil & Shea Butter
    • Monthly Henna Treatments
    kayasmommy wrote: »
    I just got into MAC about a year ago. I love a lot of their products. I'd pick one of each essential that you can use the heck out of!!! I started with a foundation (or powder, depending on your preference). Then I chose a couple of eyeshadows. You could ask a makeup artist at the store to help you choose 4 shadows to put in a quad palette. Pick 4 shades/finishes that you can wear every day, for day or night. Then get one lipstick or lipglass, again something you can get a lot of use out of. That'll run you about $100, which is a pretty good price for a full face of quality products. I just added piece by piece--getting myself a "treat" each month for working so hard. Not a big purchase, just a lipglass or a brush, or something. One item at a time. I hope you have good experiences with it. Please, post back and let us know what you choose and how you like it.
    i treat myself by buying new products too! :blob:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I was just coming to start a MAC thread - but here you are!

I have always shied away from MAC - too many choices and they seemed heavily pigmented. Last night I was playing online and today I went to play in the Store.

I went to Nordstroms Freehold (NJ). Shout out to, hands down, the BEST cosmetics saleswoman I have ever had the pleasure to meet: Marie D.

She saw me looking lost at the MAC counter (she manages on the floor, but worked MAC for years). Damn this woman knew her stuff and was funny, honest and easygoing!

I whittled my purchases down after much experimentation: Viva Glam V gloss and lipstick (which I went in for), with Whirl for a nice neutral lip. Then she recommended Plum Dandy lipstick lined with Plum and I sneered. I put it on to entertain her. it was SPOT ON for me, so I got that. And the eye kohl liner in Costa Riche.

I had a really fun time and am no longer a MAC virgin (tho not quite yet a MAC whore...)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
    rudeechick wrote: »

I have always shied away from MAC - too many choices and they seemed heavily pigmented. Last night I was playing online and today I went to play in the Store.

I went to Nordstroms Freehold (NJ). Shout out to, hands down, the BEST cosmetics saleswoman I have ever had the pleasure to meet: Marie D.

She saw me looking lost at the MAC counter (she manages on the floor, but worked MAC for years). Damn this woman knew her stuff and was funny, honest and easygoing!

I whittled my purchases down after much experimentation: Viva Glam V gloss and lipstick (which I went in for), with Whirl for a nice neutral lip. Then she recommended Plum Dandy lipstick lined with Plum and I sneered. I put it on to entertain her. it was SPOT ON for me, so I got that. And the eye kohl liner in Costa Riche.

I had a really fun time and am no longer a MAC virgin (tho not quite yet a MAC whore...)
    happy to share in your excitement :reindeer:
    i love buying new stuff :fish:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Viva Glam V gloss and lipstick

isn't it the BEST????

:D
    My blog:

• kayasmommykayasmommy Posts: 109Registered Users

I absolutely adore Viva Glam V. It's so pretty! Anyone...and I do mean anyone can wear that lipstick!

Glad you had a good experience!
    Twitter! :hello2:

Fotki! :hello2:

BC: November 28, 2008
    Tragedy Strikes: March 16, 2010...The Flat-Iron Disaster!!!

Updated (Post-Disaster) Staples:
    • Chagrin Valley Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar
    • Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
    • Roux Porosity Control Shampoo/Condish
    • V05 Moisture Milks Condish
    • Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Condish
    • Kinky Curly Knot Today
    • Castor Oil & Shea Butter
    • Monthly Henna Treatments
    I SO get the addiction now.... I went into a MAC store today to return one of the eye pencil. Another really knowledgeable salesgirl helped me.... I thought I wanted to get a spare Viva Glam V lipglass for my purse but we ended up playing around and I found another great lipstick that I love - Frenzy. Again, looking at it in the tube I WOULD NEVER have tried it. But I described to her the color I wanted and she pulled it out and sure enough, it went on exactly as I requested!

I also bought a Nymphet gloss, just because:)

Rouquinne, I have a question for you. I asked her to help me find a blush, we looked for a bit but then I ran out of time. I did leave the store with a shade on - I wasnt crazy about the color but it wore like mad - a first for me as my blushes usually fade FAST. Can you recommend a shade for me? I am fair, with brown eyes and brown hair with copper, penny, auburn highlights. I think i need warm colors as opposed to cool. My skin doesnt pick up tones well so I usually have to search; I like a blush that looks like it could be a flush coming from within as opposed to "color" sitting on my skin. (If it matters, in the past I have warn Bobbi Browns Brownish Pinks and Benefit Dandelion).

TIA
    My Photobucket Album
    ^^^ooooh, i wear Nymphette over Frenzy all the time - it's one of my favourite combos!

Benefit Dandelion is a very pure, sheer pink. if you're looking for something similar, try Dollymix. for something like the Bobbi Brown you described, look at Buff.
    My blog:

^^^ooooh, i wear Nymphette over Frenzy all the time - it's one of my favourite combos!

Benefit Dandelion is a very pure, sheer pink. if you're looking for something similar, try Dollymix. for something like the Bobbi Brown you described, look at Buff.

Much thanks:)
    My Photobucket Album

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file