Just BC'd... growing it out... what should I expect?

asanterochelleasanterochelle Registered Users Posts: 6
Hey Ladies!

So I have 4b-ish hair (lol) and I BC'd last saturday after 6 months of transitioning, leaving me with a TWA about 1 1/2 inches in length. I'm growing my hair out now (i can't wait till it's enormous and fierce lol) but it's been so long since my hair has been without some type of processing, I'm not sure what to expect as far as growth anymore... For those of you with hair similar to mine, how fast does your hair grow, and what do you do to encourage growth (and length retention)?

I'm also trying to nail down a routine (and products) for when I let the braids go... I feel like I may be prone to being a product junkie. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

<3

Co-wash: 2-3x/wk with Tresemme Naturals or Aussie Moist
Fave Oils: Jojoba, Castor, SAO, Grapeseed
Leave-In: Spritz (TN, AVG, Oil mix, water) or Shea Frosting (raw shea, AVG, TN, Oil Mix)
DC: Lustrasilk Olive Oil Chol. or SheaMoisture DCM 1x/wk
Other: 'Poo w/ Dr. B's Pepp. Castile soap, Henna Gloss ev. 3-4 wks

event.png

Comments

• LynneryLynnery Registered Users Posts: 303
    Hi and congrats on your BC. You will get a lot more responses if you post this on the 4a and 4b thread. But since i'm here right now I'll just say hair grows about a 1/4-1/2 inch per month. Some people get more. It all depends on genetics, exercise, healthy eating. Whats important is trying to retain the length that you do get.

As a natural I feel my hair grows faster than when I was relaxed and maybe its because my scalp is healthier or I just retain the length. You should enjoy the grow out phase cause your hair will grow fast. Keep it moisturized and have a regimin that includes a lot of deep conditioning. I wear mostly wash n go's but I also do protective styling.

Happy hair growing!

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • asanterochelleasanterochelle Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks for the tips! I've been hearing that natural hair tends to grow faster than relaxed hair too. Right now my hair is braided, but I try to co-wash my hair in the braids every 2 weeks and moisturize every few days. And I'll try posting this on the other thread, see what I get.

Thanks again,

<3
    Lynnery wrote: »
    Hi and congrats on your BC. You will get a lot more responses if you post this on the 4a and 4b thread. But since i'm here right now I'll just say hair grows about a 1/4-1/2 inch per month. Some people get more. It all depends on genetics, exercise, healthy eating. Whats important is trying to retain the length that you do get.

As a natural I feel my hair grows faster than when I was relaxed and maybe its because my scalp is healthier or I just retain the length. You should enjoy the grow out phase cause your hair will grow fast. Keep it moisturized and have a regimin that includes a lot of deep conditioning. I wear mostly wash n go's but I also do protective styling.

Happy hair growing!

Co-wash: 2-3x/wk with Tresemme Naturals or Aussie Moist
    Fave Oils: Jojoba, Castor, SAO, Grapeseed
    Leave-In: Spritz (TN, AVG, Oil mix, water) or Shea Frosting (raw shea, AVG, TN, Oil Mix)
    DC: Lustrasilk Olive Oil Chol. or SheaMoisture DCM 1x/wk
    Other: 'Poo w/ Dr. B's Pepp. Castile soap, Henna Gloss ev. 3-4 wks

event.png
  • bambiibambii Registered Users Posts: 28
    natural hair does not grow faster than relaxed hair ..
    Thanks for the tips! I've been hearing that natural hair tends to grow faster than relaxed hair too. Right now my hair is braided, but I try to co-wash my hair in the braids every 2 weeks and moisturize every few days. And I'll try posting this on the other thread, see what I get.

Thanks again,

<3
    Lynnery wrote: »

Happy hair growing!
    Transitioning since Sep 17 2009
    BC Due Date: Jam 30 2010
    Oct 24 2009 - made henna and put in freezer for the day of my bc .. yes i know .. i prepare well in advance
  • curliitommii curliitommii Registered Users Posts: 139
    I agree with bambii, the only difference between when you were natural and when you are relaxed is that you are actually retaining length, instead of having the relaxed ends split off.

Also since you've already cut off the relaxed ends, you can see your new growth more properly w/o those relaxed ends hanging around lol
    I Bc'd!! --> July 1st, 2009 :wav:

event.png

http://public.fotki.com/ms-curls/
  • causeiuhgottacauseiuhgotta Registered Users Posts: 2
    I agree with the ladies that commented on hair growth not "speeding up". Because of the relaxer, hair actually tends to seem as if it's not growing AT ALL because, as it grows at the roots, it's breaking off at the ends. So it's not really much longer than it was before.

Hair is grown in the follicles of the scalp and needs nutrients such as sebum, the oil naturally produced from the scalp which often makes your head feel "grimy". Sebum acts as a natural moisturizer and helps hair to stay healthy.

Stimulation of the scalp, such as massaging your scalp often and washing/conditioning with the pads of your fingers, is very beneficial in increasing growth. The pads are more gentle and cover a larger surface area than "scratching" with your nails. The pads also do less damage, even though using your fingernails feels way better. When I was attending cosmetology school that is what we were taught. But I already knew about scalp stimulation because I'm a compulsive hair-twirler and natural roots can be a problem sometimes since I really can't control it. My sisters all say my hair grows the fastest (as does my fingernails, which I inherited from my grandma) and they hate me for it! LOL But the actual reason that stimulation of the scalp works so well is because it increases blood-flow to the areas around the root/follicle and circulation signals growth. I'm not suggesting anyone becoming an OCD hair twirler. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! It can actually be a problem at times and cause me physical pain. Hey, I may be "crazy", but I will be a cute "crazy" chick with nicer hair than everyone else! Hahaha!

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to go natural. As of now, I'm at about 2+ inches natural. The real problem is that I'm having a difficult time deciding whether to stay with the "trim-as-you-grow" plan or the "BC". I'm not sure I would look or feel comfortable being curvy with short hair. I don't know if I'm confident enough for that now that I'm not a twig anymore. I've accepted that I'm never going to get my "pre-twins" body back. I don't have to like it, but I do have to accept it.

Relaxing began at 13 and hasn't stopped, except when I shaved my head at 15-18. Now 29, I'm getting to the point where I don't need all these superficial aesthetics. I liked weaves occasionally and recently got one that made me extremely uncomfortable with the final outcome. It wasn't a bogus job, but immediately noticed the hair did not match or blend, mainly because of how unhealthy it was and so IT HAD TO GO! So I took it out like 6 days later, even though I already payed for it.

I caught some of Chris Rock's interview about the epidemic of "good hair" on The View one day and I understood it on many levels. Being biracial, I often got the hateful "good hair" comments in school. I really never could understand that whole issue. LOL Anyway, I came across NC.com and was really inspired to just be ME and accept that "ME" is who I really am. Natural; stretchmarks, naps and all. I was blessed with curly hair but in the early 90's I had no idea what the heck I was supposed to do with my hair! Relaxers have become an almost automatic "solution" for most women of color. Very much "hair crack". It's almost as if those of us with wavy/curly/nappy hair have forgotten how to do it or never learned what our other options were. And, processing straightening and curling is nothing new. So we pretty much grew up on the stuff.

Acne has been a battle throughout my entire teen and adult life. But, I started wearing a ponytail almost daily after I became very ill and didn't have the strength to do my hair and makeup as I was accustomed to before. I realized that my skin cleared up because I didn't have all those chemicals constantly in contact with my skin. It's almost totally gone! I didn't even leave the house to go to the store without makeup before. Now, I hardly ever wear it. It had become a "mask", of sorts, that I was "hiding" behind.

I'm going through some major crises, once again, and just do not care how other people see me anymore. I have too much going on to worry about if someone thinks I need makeup or if my hair looks "nappy" 'Cause usually if it looks nappy it really is nappy! Case closed! I guess that is part of growing up.

I have been battling Bipolar Disorder and other illnesses since early childhood up to today, and I'm most currently dealing with the decision to divorce my 3rd husband, who is emotionally abusive. I have dealt with infidelity and abuse in the past too. So, I need to get rid of as many excess stressful influences as I can.

I don't know how I got to the subject of abuse and depression when I started out with scalp oils and hair growth. LOL I'm sorry I just put all my "bizznazz" out there on the table. But, I guess I do it whenever possible because I want to let other women who may chance to read about it, and can relate, know they are not alone and are welcomed to contact me whenever they need to. I want to make and take any opportunity to help people know they are not alone in feeling lonely. :)

I am truly sorry this message is so long! Anyway, happy nappies everyone! I don't celebrate birthdays but I just wanted to tell you all:
    :occasion4: :occasion6: "Happy Birthday to the ground!" - Andy Samberg (He is so HOT!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file