My hair pics

jahdayjahday Posts: 7Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I'm also known as "zzirvingj" on LHCF and "shortiedowop" on Nappturality (too many usernames going on here!)

Anyways, I haven't posted here in a long time. But I have a few small updates of my 4a/b hair.

I'm trying not to press it until next year so I've been wearing this boring old bun allll year long. But I can tell it's growing though. I'll be posting my regime in the "About me" section later today...

Enjoy :)

http://public.fotki.com/shortiedowop/hair_album/this_is_now/

Comments

• susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair is gorgeous! How do you do your twists (wet or dry)? They look great.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jahday,

Your hair looks fabulous. And so do you eyebrows -- great shape. thanks for the photos.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • FireFlowerFireFlower Posts: 137Registered Users
    Your hair is so pretty! I'm trying to understand the texture in the earlier photos from the texture in the later photos.... Is it a difference in product, technique, or both? I'm still relatively new to this....

Thank you!
    Classic 4a/b, fine, dense, normal to dry, low porosity
    event.png
  • jahdayjahday Posts: 7Registered Users
    susu wrote:

Hi! I do my twists on dry hair, usually after it has been "stretched" from wearing it in a bun for a while.

In regards to the comment about the different textures-you are the first to comment about that, I thought it was just me after looking back at my pictures I have also noticed a difference.

I think it is a combination of the "old" hair growing out and the technique of me caring for my hair. When I first went natural I did alot of combing my hair when dry. Now I NEVER do that. I only comb my hair when sopping wet with conditioner in the shower, once a week, with a wide toothed brush or comb. And I learned how to get "defined" waves by simply tying down a scarf on my hair after washing it and at night. :)
  • FireFlowerFireFlower Posts: 137Registered Users
    jahday wrote:
    susu wrote:

In regards to the comment about the different textures-you are the first to comment about that, I thought it was just me after looking back at my pictures I have also noticed a difference.

I think it is a combination of the "old" hair growing out and the technique of me caring for my hair. When I first went natural I did alot of combing my hair when dry. Now I NEVER do that. I only comb my hair when sopping wet with conditioner in the shower, once a week, with a wide toothed brush or comb. And I learned how to get "defined" waves by simply tying down a scarf on my hair after washing it and at night. :)

So "old" hair being hair that was still somewhat affected by chemicals (if that's what you had?) And would you say that length makes a difference as well? so that the hair hangs differently/more weight?
    Classic 4a/b, fine, dense, normal to dry, low porosity
    event.png
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Beautiful hair!
    jahday wrote:
    susu wrote:

So "old" hair being hair that was still somewhat affected by chemicals (if that's what you had?) And would you say that length makes a difference as well? so that the hair hangs differently/more weight?

Yes, "old" hair meaning hair somewhat still affected by chemicals. Perhaps when I big chopped I thought I was getting all the relaxed hair cut off, but it may have taken a while of me growing out my hair to experience my "true" texture-totally free of chemicals.

Yes, and length, along with technique, does make a difference.
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    very pretty...love the texture
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • NeldaNelda Posts: 84Registered Users
    NICE HAIR!!
    I have been natural for about 3yrs now. Recently cut all of it off in April/07, I know some may think I am crazy...but for those who don't me I am a girl of variety..I NEED CHANGE!

http://public.fotki.com/Nellybly18
  • SienaSiena Posts: 19Registered Users
    jahday wrote:
    Yes, "old" hair meaning hair somewhat still affected by chemicals. Perhaps when I big chopped I thought I was getting all the relaxed hair cut off, but it may have taken a while of me growing out my hair to experience my "true" texture-totally free of chemicals.

Yes, and length, along with technique, does make a difference.

So even after cutting all of the relaxed/permed hair out it still isn't truly natural??? Now I'm about to go mad here, I just started growing my hair out :cry:
    What's my hair type???? THICK! THICK!! and THICK!!!

pw:pretty
  • Dijah_xoxoDijah_xoxo Posts: 131Registered Users
    LOL siena...it is natural still. I'm thinking that she means scab hair that has grown out.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 19Registered Users
    Now u know you are going to have to either explain scab hair to me, or recommend me a book so I am not bugging you all, lol! Yet I am soo busy the only book I make time to read is the Bible...don't know how I am still making it in school, lol!!!
    What's my hair type???? THICK! THICK!! and THICK!!!

pw:pretty
  • LadyLboogieLadyLboogie Posts: 109Registered Users
    Great hair jayday. Wanna switch! :)
    My turn for the questions. ...How do you do your bun: Wet or dry and what product do you put in it. Is it just twisted and tucked under or pins. Oh it looks so nice. Your hair has grown so much within the last year.
    Great hair jayday. Wanna switch! :)
    My turn for the questions. ...How do you do your bun: Wet or dry and what product do you put in it. Is it just twisted and tucked under or pins. Oh it looks so nice. Your hair has grown so much within the last year.

Hi :)

And "thank you" :D

Nowadays I do my bun like this: After washing/conditioning and DETANGLING in the shower, at that point after detangling I will brush my hair back while wet in the shower (put on my moisturizers) and pull into a ponytail. When I get out the shower I secure the bun by folding the ends under and either tucking it in with a bobby pin or using a soft scrunchie on top of the pony tail holder.

I make sure to wet my brush alot (although my hair is still wet) and brush the edges down so they stay flat and wavy underneath the scarf. I try to moisturize the ends of the bun daily. That's about it! HTH! :D

Oh and to the person earlier "scab hair" was just the term I was trying to remember! And yes, scab hair is what I was referring to...
  • LadyLboogieLadyLboogie Posts: 109Registered Users
    Hi and thanks for responding! Few more questions though..
    So do you do your ponytails at night? And if it is soaking wet, isnt it dripping everywhere. Do you towel dry after that? Just asking so I can see if I get similar results.
    Hi and thanks for responding! Few more questions though..
    So do you do your ponytails at night? And if it is soaking wet, isnt it dripping everywhere. Do you towel dry after that? Just asking so I can see if I get similar results.

It varies. I always wash my hair on the weekend, but I may do it during the day or in the evening. After I have pinned it down after getting out of the shower, yes, it is pretty wet. But I tie it down with a scarf immediately. If I'm leaving the house afterwards about in an hour I'm good to take the scarf off and it be "dry enough" to go out. Of course if I"m not leaving the house or about to go to bed I usually just keep the scarf on while I'm at home and definitely while I sleep. I don't towel dry my hair--I just let it dry on it's own.

HTH!
  • VanillaholicVanillaholic Posts: 49Registered Users
    Your hair looks awesome!! So healthy looking! What products do you use?

Now u know you are going to have to either explain scab hair to me, or recommend me a book so I am not bugging you all, lol!

Scab hair is oftentimes hair that has been damaged by chemicals and will grow out during the first years of going natural, depending on how long one has been using chemicals prior to going natural. It often will look a different texture once you see strands shed out, than the rest of the strands that your hair sheds, sometimes the strand itself will look thicker/rougher. Similar to how a scab is rougher and thicker than skin.
    Wiry?, baby fine strands densely packed with different textures and curl diameters seemingly on each individual strand.
  • MaeMae Posts: 71Registered Users
    I love your hair!!! All of the brushing and putting into a bun does not thin your edges out? It does not look thin, but I wonder if you have noticed a difference?
    Natural since 1995
    Curly-kinky hair
    Come see me on Fotki!!! New Updates Nov '06
    http://public.fotki.com/LikeWater/
    Mae wrote:
    I love your hair!!! All of the brushing and putting into a bun does not thin your edges out? It does not look thin, but I wonder if you have noticed a difference?

Thanks!

Well, I use a denman brush and it has soft bristles. And I don't brush my whole head...I just wet the brush and use a "few strokes" to "lie down" the top layer of hair before tying down with the scarf, so no, I haven't noticed a difference in it thinning out or anything.

It also helps to take the bun down at night so it's not tied up 24/7.

HTH!
  • DocDoc Posts: 367Registered Users
    jahday,

Your twists are beautiful! They're so plump and full. You mentioned that you twist on dry hair; what products do you use while twisting, and do you spritz the sections at all just prior to twisting?
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file