We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Can Vegetable Glycerin cause frizz & greasy feeling?

Hi Curlies,
Need a little help again...
I tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJ CCCC[/buylink] which so many people rave about and it made my hair feel a little greasy (but not weighed down) and I'm pretty frizzy with not very good curl definition or clumpage.

Yesterday I tried Donna Marie Curling Jelly and the same thing minus the greasiness...

I see they both have vegetable glycerin and someone once told me (when my hair freaked out with BioTera Curl Cream) that my hair may not like glycerin and is most likely causing my crazy frizz and less curl definition...

Any thoughts? Will your hair react the same way to both vegetable glycerin and glycerin? I've noticed some of my pre CG conditoners had glycerin too but I don't think I've ever felt this greasyness and frizzyness when I used those... maybe because I rinsed out? or used silicones to calm it?

Just trying to figure out what my hair likes and doesn't like so I can get my pretty curls back...

Thanks in advance for your help!!! :)
~~~ CG: 9/23/09 ~~~ :toothy4:
Hair Type: 3a/3b, Fine-med, re-assessing my porosity (avg to low maybe???)
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries & Cream
Rinse-out/Leave-In: LVPNG, AOHR/Giovanni DLI
What's working: KCCC, AOMM, Pantene Curls Mousse, AO-B5 gel
Trying: Soap bars, Nexxus protein treatments, CJCCC, Dutchess of Curls, any HE mousse and gel, BRHG.... open to other suggestions!
* Hair appears to freak out with glycerin
* Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• curlprocurlpro Posts: 333Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair hates glycerine in anything but [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] in moderation. But, my hair loves aloe vera gel and I put it in before I put in my homemade FSG. Fab hair everyday. I know it seems crazy to make your own gel but I really like it.
    Cynthia
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    We had some discussion here http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=89096 about glycerin. I used to think there was a difference between the two but there really isn't. It all depends on the formulation of the product just like any other ingredient. If your dew points are low it's possible your hair is reacting to the humectant properties of Glycerin and causing frizz from your stylers. You may or may not notice it in your conditioner.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I can't use glycerin in any products. It makes my hair go flat, frizzy, and poufy. When I first went CG and my hair was terribly damaged, I loved glycerin. Now that it's all healthy new hair, glycerin is terrible for me.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    I can't use glycerin in any products. It makes my hair go flat, frizzy, and poufy. When I first went CG and my hair was terribly damaged, I loved glycerin. Now that it's all healthy new hair, glycerin is terrible for me.
    That's interesting Lolo, my hair isn't damaged but it sure loves Gycerin. It calms my frizz and poof, without CK I have a really hard time keeping my hair under control!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • MFritter7MFritter7 Posts: 60Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    We had some discussion here http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=89096 about glycerin. I used to think there was a difference between the two but there really isn't. It all depends on the formulation of the product just like any other ingredient. If your dew points are low it's possible your hair is reacting to the humectant properties of Glycerin and causing frizz from your stylers. You may or may not notice it in your conditioner.

Thanks DEL2C! I'll check out that thread... I'm in Austin and the dew points definitely fluctuate (the weather here is nuts!)... dew point today is 54. I feel like everytime I've tried something that frizzes my hair, it turns out it has glycerin and my hair feels greasy...

I realized LVPNG has glycerin too but my hair loves that stuff, so yeah maybe I don't notice it in conditioners. I really wanted to try CK but now I'm not so sure.

I also have been trying tons of different things (soap bars, new condish, custards, creams, jellies and gels) and at one time too so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to what the problem is. I think I may have to do some experimenting and try to keep some stuff consistant.

Thanks! -MF
    Trying: Soap bars, Nexxus protein treatments, CJCCC, Dutchess of Curls, any HE mousse and gel, BRHG.... open to other suggestions!
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MFritter7 wrote: »

Thanks DEL2C! I'll check out that thread... I'm in Austin and the dew points definitely fluctuate (the weather here is nuts!)... dew point today is 54. I feel like everytime I've tried something that frizzes my hair, it turns out it has glycerin and my hair feels greasy...

I realized LVPNG has glycerin too but my hair loves that stuff, so yeah maybe I don't notice it in conditioners. I really wanted to try CK but now I'm not so sure.

I also have been trying tons of different things (soap bars, new condish, custards, creams, jellies and gels) and at one time too so I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to what the problem is. I think I may have to do some experimenting and try to keep some stuff consistant.

Thanks! -MF

Forgot to mention too that we're at 100% humidity today too... ugh! But yesterday we had much less humidity and I'm not sure what the dew point was but same frizzy problem...
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thats it flat frizzy and poofy at the same time and oily looking. I have to shampoo it out or my hair is wrecked for a week. You know when shampoo makes it better it's bad LOL
    Cynthia
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    That's interesting Lolo, my hair isn't damaged but it sure loves Gycerin. It calms my frizz and poof, without CK I have a really hard time keeping my hair under control!

My hair is has low porosity. I have one spot on my head that seems to absorb no water when I wash my hair. Maybe that's the difference? It's also pretty fine.
    My styling products for today had NO glycerin (HEBE mousse, tiny dab of AOMM & HETT gel) and my hair is much more tame... I still have some frizz but I actually think that's due to not enough moisture, it feels a little dry and definitely not the greasy feeling from yesterday.

So I think for now I'm concluding that my hair does not like glycerin. I'll stay away and see if I can get great w/o using glycerin... if not I may experiement a little more in a few months. I really wanted to try my CK...

Anyone know of any great glycerin free curl creams, custards and gels?

I think [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is glycerin free right? I just wish it didn't take so long to dry!

Thanks for the help! -MF
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OK, now [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] is an exception to the rule. Don't ask me why but it works. I apply my products and at the end squeeze CK on all the ends of my curls for zero frizz. Now if you were using a whole bunch of Glycerine give it a few days to get out of your hair (I had to shampoo it out) with the cleansing you are doing so you get a clear try on the ck. Love CK love love,
    Cynthia
    FOTE first, Homemade FSG, Ck= perfect hair even in 100% humidity in Florida
    curlpro wrote: »
    OK, now [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] is an exception to the rule. Don't ask me why but it works. I apply my products and at the end squeeze CK on all the ends of my curls for zero frizz. Now if you were using a whole bunch of Glycerine give it a few days to get out of your hair (I had to shampoo it out) with the cleansing you are doing so you get a clear try on the ck. Love CK love love,
    Cynthia
    FOTE first, Homemade FSG, Ck= perfect hair even in 100% humidity in Florida

Thanks Cynthia! I think I have a FOTE travel size somewhere I can try with some gel and CK. I'll wait a bit to try it out though. Can I buy FSG anywhere? I just don't have the time to attempt making it..

Any other glycerin free products you've tried that have worked for you?

Thanks!
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curlkeeper contains Glycerin but it also has co-polymers added as well as other ingredients. It's impossible to know exactly how your hair will react unless you try it. Try not to get too hung up on specific ingredients and go for product formulation instead ;) My hair reacts very differently to straight Glycerin then when it's mixed with other ingredients, it's really weird..............
    Discovered CG 2007

Curlkeeper contains Glycerin but it also has co-polymers added as well as other ingredients. It's impossible to know exactly how your hair will react unless you try it. Try not to get too hung up on specific ingredients and go for product formulation instead ;) My hair reacts very differently to straight Glycerin then when it's mixed with other ingredients, it's really weird..............

:) Ok thanks DEL2C! What are co-polymers by the way? I feel like I need a serious chemistry lesson to figure all this shhh-tuff out! ;-) High school chemisty was a long time ago!!!
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:) Ok thanks DEL2C! What are co-polymers by the way? I feel like I need a serious chemistry lesson to figure all this shhh-tuff out! ;-) High school chemisty was a long time ago!!!
    copolymers are what give Gels Hold :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/the-nitty-gritty-details-about-hair-gel
    Discovered CG 2007

copolymers are what give Gels Hold :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/the-nitty-gritty-details-about-hair-gel

AH HA! ;-) Thanks!
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    And you can order FSG from Boticelli Botanicals on Etsy.

Here's the link. I recommend BB--she's great! If it doesn't work just look up www.etsy.com and go to sellers in the drop down and put BotticelliBotanicals

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Fshop.php%3Fuser_id%3D6934569%26amp%3Bga_search_query%3Dbotticellibotanicals%26amp%3Bga_search_type%3Dseller_usernames" class="Popup
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthewavytales.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Alexjoujou wrote: »

Here's the link. I recommend BB--she's great! If it doesn't work just look up www.etsy.com and go to sellers in the drop down and put BotticelliBotanicals

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Fshop.php%3Fuser_id%3D6934569%26amp%3Bga_search_query%3Dbotticellibotanicals%26amp%3Bga_search_type%3Dseller_usernames" class="Popup

Thats what I was going to reccomend as well. The ladies seem to like it here a lot.
    Cynthia
    curlpro wrote: »
    Alexjoujou wrote: »

Thats what I was going to reccomend as well. The ladies seem to like it here a lot.
    Cynthia

Great! Thanks ladies! :)
    * Diffuser Dependent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file