tried making fsg...help!

laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Neophyte
I used the recipe for flax seed gel where you put the flax seeds in a tea ball. I did it two separate times. Both times the gel came out super runny. Almost like an oily/sticky water. Totally unusable. How do I thicken it up? I had the cook top set to 5 for like 30 minutes and it still came out way too thin! Any tips? Thank you!

Comments

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    I've never used a tea ball. What was your ratio of flax seeds to water?

I use 1/2c flax seeds to 2 c of water and then bring to boil and boil for 2-3 minutes tops and pull it off when it is still very runny. It always works pretty well.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Neophyte
    I used two table spoons for 1 1/2 cups of water. Maybe I just want it really thick? Does it usually thicken up a whole bunch as it cools for you? Because mine barely did.

I really think I had it on the stove for too long though.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    I think the seeds need to be free in the water to get the gel to slough off. Before I bought a normal sized strainer, I boiled the seeds in water then strained through an open tea ball. It worked, but it was frustrating. I got a big steel mesh strainer from the dollar store and it works much better than the tea ball. And definitely use Alexjoujou's ratio: 1/2c seeds to 2c water or 1/4c seeds to 1c water. Good luck!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • laurenbrookelaurenbrooke Registered Users Posts: 63
    For consistency I think some people add xanthum gum to thicken it, but they'd have to weigh in, because I don't know what ratio, where to get it etc.

Anyone use it?
    Cleanse: JCC, Deva low poo
    Co Wash: ? trial and error
    Condish: Jessicurl too shea
    Leave in: ? trial and error
    Gel: HESMU or BRHG with KCCC
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Registered Users Posts: 239 Curl Neophyte
    Well I tried it with the seeds loose with no additives. 4 tablespoons for 2 cups of water. I boiled for 10 minutes. The gel came out perfect!

I made it again with sea salt added and it was a little less thick, same amounts as above.

Now I just need to play around with amounts. Thanks guys!
  • solidgoldsolidgold Registered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    I used a pinch of xanthan gum (got it from my local health food store but I also saw it in my local market) once--but I never really needed it because the gel is plenty thick on its own!

Layne, glad to hear it's working out for you!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • holly8holly8 Registered Users Posts: 632
    I used the recipe for flax seed gel where you put the flax seeds in a tea ball. I did it two separate times. Both times the gel came out super runny. Almost like an oily/sticky water. Totally unusable. How do I thicken it up? I had the cook top set to 5 for like 30 minutes and it still came out way too thin! Any tips? Thank you!

I put 1\4 cup of flaxseeds in 1 cup of water and then I set the stove on meduim(number 5 on stove).I mix it constantly and then I turn off the stove when there is a foam on top.I keep the pot on the stove and continue mixing.While i'm mixing I check to see if the gel isn't runny (I take a utensil and dip it in the pot to see if the gel is thick.To know if it is thick the gel feels like a thick slim and it bounces back on the utensil).When the gel isn't runny strain the gel quickly before it gets too thick.Your finish gel should be thicker than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and IC fantasia gel.

Check out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yPFKaxo70
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file