First time relaxing..

Tica77Tica77 Posts: 62Registered Users
Hi, Im curly now, but Im thinking about relaxing. I like to know everything, how works?, how often you need re-touch?, something bad I really need to know??.

So you can see I don t know anything about it, any advice be great for me!!. TIA!!

Comments

• lit26lit26 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Noticing by the replies....no one wants you to relax...:protest:.

But I am going to play nice (even though I am natural) and tell you what to expect.

Expect you hair to be straight, long, silky, easy to manage, and just as pretty as it is now. Retouch only two times a year. Make the perm last by wrapping your hair and wrapping you hair up every night with a silk bonnet. Buy a maxi glide, heat reatment, and chi silk infusion so that the straightness will last longer and so that you won't have to perm as much. USe argan oil!! to maintain moisure! It's awesome! also use pink oil moisturizer and blue magic coconut grease to manage moisture (if your hair is course).

The down side to relaxing is your hair will thin out and break off alot more than it does now. You will get perm burns on your scalp that will last a few days and may burn/sting for a couple of days when ever you wash your hair or add product. You hair will only be straight and may not ever curl again. Your stuck with a limited number of hair styles but straight is in so you have no worries right?

Also if you are one of those unfortunate few you may experience Alopecia or some scalp issue from the chemicals in the relaxer.

The worst thing though about getting a relaxer is that if you miss being natural you will have to cut all of you hair off or your hair will have to fall out in order to be natural again. If it IS falling out you may never experience being natural again because now you have a problem.

So think long and hard about relaxing :confused:
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    ajiotal wrote: »
    Noticing by the replies....no one wants you to relax...:protest:.

But I am going to play nice (even though I am natural) and tell you what to expect.

Expect you hair to be straight, long, silky, easy to manage, and just as pretty as it is now. Retouch only two times a year. Make the perm last by wrapping and wrapping you hair up every night with a silk bonnet. Buy a maxi glide, heat reatment, and chi silk infusion so that the straightness will last longer and so that you won't have to perm as much. USe argan oil!! to maintain moisure! It's awesome! also use pink oil moisturizer and blue magic coconut grease to manage moisture (if your hair is course).

The down side to relaxing is you hair will thin out and break off alot more than it does now. You will get perm burns on your scalp that will last a few days and may burn/sting for a couple of days when ever you wash your hair or add product. You hair will only be straight and may not ever curl again. Your stuck with a limited number of hair styles but straight is in so you have no worries right?

Also if you are one of those unfourtunate few you may experience Alopecia or some scalp issue form the chemicals in the relaxer.

The worst thing though about getting a relaxer is that if you miss being natural you will have to cut all of you hair off or your hair will have to fall out inorder to be natural again. If it IS falling out you may never experience being natural because now you have a problem.

So think long and hard about relaxing :confused:

This is great and right on point. :occasion5:
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
    Thank you :headbang: I was hoping it made sence!
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Isn't the Phyto relaxer supposed to be a more gentle relaxer option, compared to many other types?

From reviews that I've read online, it doesn't seem to cause any of those negatives for most people. Maybe I'm just being naive! I know it's not a "natural" relaxer as it is marketed, but I was thinking that it was not really harsh and extremely damaging as many relaxers can be.
    Hmmm I am sorry I am not sure. I think people come out with stuff just to make more but I am sure it like a texturizer or something but they claim its a natural laxer.
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

• ChAoTiCbLiSsChAoTiCbLiSs Posts: 127Registered Users
    The chemicals used to relax the hair are basically the same, they are all harsh and extremely damaging.
    3b/2b/3c mix
    ~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
    CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
  • mermadelovemermadelove Posts: 188Registered Users
    An excellent site for relaxed hair is www.growafrohairlong.com I went to it before deciding that I was never going to relax/texlax again. The site owner has gorgeous, long, healthy relaxed hair and great advice (and natural products) to help you take care of it. (I have the all natural flat ironing creme up for sale on the swap board if you are interested. )
    Even if you decide not to relax, she has great advice on how to comg and wash your hair to prevent breakage!
    3c/4a/fine strands/medium porosity/iii-dense!
    http://public.fotki.com/mermadelove/natural-hair-journey/
    wash: JC Hair Cleansing Cream or cowash
    Leave in: HE Dangerously Straight, HE HH
    Occasional Treatmet/Pre-poo: AV Shikakai Growth Elixir, Wild Woozle Tiare Pomade, Ojon Restorative Hair Tx
    Tightly Curly Method Convert <3 cured of PJism (alas.....) Now I'm a makeup PJ!!! :D
    BC'd on 6/17/10!!!! Do I like it??:confused: I love it!!
    ~*~~*Sparkle on!*~~*~
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Tica77 wrote: »
    Hi, Im curly now, but Im thinking about relaxing. I like to know everything, how works?, how often you need re-touch?, something bad I really need to know??.

So you can see I don t know anything about it, any advice be great for me!!. TIA!!

What is your hair type naturally ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file