Can you do this with a relaxer?

prettywomanprettywoman Posts: 4Registered Users
Ok, I have always heard that your are supposed to apply the relaxer to the roots only. However with my hair texture the roots are fairly straight and the ends are curly/frizzy/ puffy. So, I was thinking about getting a relaxer but not applying it to the roots, just to the ends. I am natural and my texture is a 3c. I have defined curls while it is wet, when it is dry it is frizzy. I can easily blow dry my hair and my roots are straight but what prevents me from getting a smooth look is the ends of my hair. No matter how much I flat iron my ends, they are still somewhat frizzy. I just took a piece of my hair out to observe the pattern and the roots are fairly loose. Would it damage my hair to just relax the length part. Thanks!

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    Ok, I have always heard that your are supposed to apply the relaxer to the roots only. However with my hair texture the roots are fairly straight and the ends are curly/frizzy/ puffy. So, I was thinking about getting a relaxer but not applying it to the roots, just to the ends. I am natural and my texture is a 3c. I have defined curls while it is wet, when it is dry it is frizzy. I can easily blow dry my hair and my roots are straight but what prevents me from getting a smooth look is the ends of my hair. No matter how much I flat iron my ends, they are still somewhat frizzy. I just took a piece of my hair out to observe the pattern and the roots are fairly loose. Would it damage my hair to just relax the length part. Thanks!

I feel like I've been saying this alot around here lately, but just know that any chemical damages your hair--only the degree of damage varies. Especially relaxers! You can relax whatever part of your hair you want. But if your ends are the only problem, it is most likely because they are damaged, and that's why you have a problem with them. Nothing else makes sense. I personally wouldn't suggest compounding the problem by dumping the harshest chemical known to hair on them. You're not gonna want to hear this suggestion, but I'm going to make it anyway: The best way to combat that frizz and pouf on your ends is to trim the damaged ends off and lay off the flat ironing once you do.

Trust me...I've been battling my frizzy 3c hair for my entire life--43 years. I've done it all to relax/straighten my hair. It all came to a head 3 years ago when I was relaxing (with major overlap) AND coloring (lighter) every 4 weeks AND washing/blow drying/flat ironing my hair every day. It's a wonder I didn't go completely bald--which was on a fast track to doing.

Give your ends a rest. If you dump relaxer on your already trashed ends, they might just break off for you, but this way, the damage will continue to travel up the hair shaft, and you'll just keep fighting the same enemy over and over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • prettywomanprettywoman Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hey there, thanks for the advice, but I really don't understand how my ends would be damaged. I don't flat iron regularly and rarely use heat on my hair. Maybe once a month at the max. Mostly my ends (or the length) has a more curly/frizzy texture. I am fully natural and I DC, wash once a week or more depending on how dirty my hair gets. (although I mostly have problems with the scalp getting dirty quickly) I will however take your advice and get a slight trim. I've been natural for 9 months and in July I cut my hair back down to 1in. Now, I would say it is about 4-5 inches, then again that depends on where you measure. So, maybe I am long due for trim but if my hair is damaged I have no clue how it got that way.

I am just going to pamper it more and maybe my ends AKA the length won't be so curly/frizzy. I think it is so odd though that the roots are a more loose texture, lol.

Now that I think about it I prob. don't even blow dry it or straighten it that much. Most of the time I air dry my hair
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    My hair is very fine, which means it has very little keratin and each strand is very thin, so it takes far less to damage my hair than someone with coarse strands of hair. I have a lot of hair, but it's all baby fine.

So, if you have fragile hair, you can do significant damage with only occasional use of thermal hair tools--just enough damage to make the ends frizz or pouf. Also, pretty much everything we do to hair (comb, wash, touch, rub on pillows/clothing, etc.) causes damage--again, only the degree of damage varies. So, the older hair on the ends is going to be more damaged than the new hair at the roots. Sounds like you might be flat ironing the life out of your ends trying to get them smooth. Also depends how high the heat of the iron is. If you're anything like me, before I really understood hair, I thought that the frizzier my hair was, the hotter my irons had to be...what I didn't understand, though, was that the frizz was coming from the heat, and the higher the heat was the more damage I was doing to my hair = more frizz. A vicious cycle.

I don't know what--if any--of this applies to your hair, but, again, damage is the only thing that makes sense if your roots are smoother than your ends. Can you talk to a stylist about it? Good luck!

I just re-read your post and saw that your hair is fairly short--the damage I'm talking about *usually* occurs with longer hair. Hmmm...it doesn't seem like it would already be *that* damaged at that length, unless you are frying it with a flat iron whenever you do flat iron.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    I had the same problem. When you flatiron your hair, you have to run a rat tail comb through as you pass the iron through, that helps get the ends nice and smooth. :)
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file