oil cleansing method

curlycue82curlycue82 Posts: 92Registered Users
Does anyone use the oil cleansing method (OCM)? I have read about it and have the oils (cold pressed castor and grapeseed) but I have also read that after a few weeks, the glow disappears for many,and is replaced by cystic acne.

Does anyone do it? What was your experience? Does anyone still do it? Do you use water in the am or a different cleanser? Do you use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) toner too - either in the am or after OCM?

I'm looking to make this a nightly routine, would you advise that?

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's the longest thread on OCM:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=2655

I've been doing it since 6/08. My dermatologist saw me after two weeks--thinks my skin is the best it's been in the fifteen years I've been going to him for roseaca treatment. He thought it was so good, he tried it himself to see if he should be recommending it to some of his patients! Over a year later, he still thinks my skin looks great--remarks on it every visit.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I've been doing it for 18 months now and it's absolutely the best thing I've ever done for my skin.

Before: extremely oily and always some degree of acne. Skin always red
    After: slightly oily and some days completely spot free. Much less redness

It does take a while to sort out which oils are best for you. I tried castor oil and various concentrations for a while, then I switched to sunflower only and got a huge improvement. I now use grapeseed oil only.

I sometimes use water only in the mornings, or sometimes just more oil (but use a cotton wool pad to get it off then rinse, rather than the hot face cloth).
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • curlycue82curlycue82 Posts: 92Registered Users
    Thank you!

I have read the thread, and am going to take the plunge!
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file