Question about oil absorption

battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
I've read many times that a lot of oils have molecules that are too large to be absorbed by hair, so they coat it instead of soaking into it. I've also read in different articles that certain oils have a smaller molecular structure and can be absorbed. However, different sources I've looked at have given me different "magic oils" - jojoba, coconut, olive, argan, palm, meadowfoam, wheatgerm, shea... and the list goes on.

Does anyone know much about this, or can you point me to some sources where I can get a definitive answer about which oils absorb the best?

Thanks!
Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

Comments

• goobernutgoobernut Registered Users Posts: 2,317
    I have no help for you, other than to let you know that lots of us are confused.

I will use an oil as a pre-poo, but I try to avoid them in my rinse out conditioners as they make my hair stringy and greasy. I'm guessing that's just my hair type. I really like using my coconut oil as a pre-poo though. Learned the hard way that I can't leave them on overnight hah! My hair was so straw like. Yuk.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    I posted about this a few days ago. Someone else asked the same thing.
    Try to look for the link about oils for hair.

The oils which best penetrate the hair shaft are coconut oil and olive oil. Avocado does too, but not as well as these two.

Jojoba doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, but it is a good sealant and it is very good for the skin.

Hope this helps.
  • KaijahKaijah Registered Users Posts: 69
    2C-3Aish/mostly M/ii-iii, med-high porosity, normal elasticity, hip length
    Protein sensitive, likes heavy moisture and oils, mostly CO with occasional CWC
    Low Poo: SheaMoisture Moisture Retention
    Washing Conditioner: Trader Joe's Refresh, Tresemme Nourishing Moisture, V05
    Length Conditioners: GF Triple Nutrition, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Walgreen's BioInfusion Balm
    Leave Ins: AO Honeysuckle Rose, raw shea, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, sometimes aloe gel or KCNT
  • battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the responses! taltal, I haven't been able to find the post you referred to, but I'll keep looking.

I'm thinking of trying out different blends, one for sealing and one for conditioning. I saw the curl chemist article, so I'm wondering if based on the info there, oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats would be good for sealing, while oils high in saturated and monounsaturated fats would be good for conditioning. After the horrid humidity/dews/drizzle we've been having here for the last few days, I'd love to find a good sealing oil. A friend of mine recently told me meadowfoam oil is supposed to really coat the hair, so it may be a good seal oil, but I haven't found a lot of info on it online.
    Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

• taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    battah wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses! taltal, I haven't been able to find the post you referred to, but I'll keep looking.

I'm thinking of trying out different blends, one for sealing and one for conditioning. I saw the curl chemist article, so I'm wondering if based on the info there, oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats would be good for sealing, while oils high in saturated and monounsaturated fats would be good for conditioning. After the horrid humidity/dews/drizzle we've been having here for the last few days, I'd love to find a good sealing oil. A friend of mine recently told me meadowfoam oil is supposed to really coat the hair, so it may be a good seal oil, but I haven't found a lot of info on it online.

Battah hi, I found the thread. Here's the link :
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=1143720#post1143720
  • battahbattah Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file