Derm appt

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Well-it was very quick!!! She wants to try minocycline first before we go the topical route. I have a follow up in 6 weeks. We will see how it works.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    But did she say if you have rosacea or are you just being treated for acne?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    She felt I did not have a lot of the rosacea symptoms. So thinking acne right now. But I thought it was interesting that she prefers to go the antibiotic route first. It always seemed that most people I spoke with their derms go the topical route first.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't get the point of going the antibiotic route at all. When you stop taking them, the acne comes right back. Does anyone really want to take antibiotics for life?
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know you're glad to have gotten that first appt. under your belt. Hopefully, the minocycline will jump start your clearing so that a topical will maintain. Good luck! My face is continuing to improve - I've gone makeup-less the last few days - I'm afraid to say it, but it almost looks good.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    I don't get the point of going the antibiotic route at all. When you stop taking them, the acne comes right back. Does anyone really want to take antibiotics for life?

Nope but sometimes you are at the mercy of what the doctor wants to do....we shall see how it goes.

Also, there is some 'new' thoughts on rosacea thinking it bacterial (mites is what they are saying) so that explains some use of antibiotics.

"The immune response results in inflammation, as evident in the papules and pustules of subtype 2 rosacea," Dr. Powell said. "This suggests that these bacteria found in the mites could be responsible for the inflammation associated with the condition."

Here is the link to the rest of the article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6366/is_1_20/ai_n29414488/

And then this article which mentions the minocycline specifically:

http://rosacea-support.org/demodex-bacteria-one-baby-step-at-a-time.html
    Central Massachusetts

just popping in to see how you're doing...any improvements with the use of the minocycline? hope so...

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    Thanks for asking. All of the pimples/bumps etc are gone. I have not had any breakouts or cystic type issues at all and I did have my period a week ago. I still have some red marks where they were though (I always broke out in the same exact spots). But the overall redness has faded a lot. This is the best my face has looked in probably 2 years. I will see what she has to say when I go back about going off the antibiotic and what that will do.
    Central Massachusetts

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i was just talking to a medical professional about abuse/overuse of antibiotics.

i personally am sort of anti-antibiotics. i want my body to respond to them if/when i ever REALLY need them.

i've been taking the good belly shots (recommended by my doctor for gastro issues) and i can say that my skin is a LOT better. i have taken other types of probiotics over the years but i'm really happy with this one and will continue to use it.

re: the inflammation, dr. perricone recommends alpha lipoic acid for inflammation. i bought some recently and started taking it again. very good results.

good luck to you!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i was just talking to a medical professional about abuse/overuse of antibiotics.

i personally am sort of anti-antibiotics. i want my body to respond to them if/when i ever REALLY need them.

i've been taking the good belly shots (recommended by my doctor for gastro issues) and i can say that my skin is a LOT better. i have taken other types of probiotics over the years but i'm really happy with this one and will continue to use it.

re: the inflammation, dr. perricone recommends alpha lipoic acid for inflammation. i bought some recently and started taking it again. very good results.

good luck to you!

I totally agree with you on the antibiotic thing!! But as I noted above there seems to be some consensus that rosacea can be caused by bacteria. I have also been taking probiotics (Align which did not help me much and lately Pearls which work better for me) lately and they could be helping as well.

I do not have any inflammation anymore-just the reddish spots where my outbreaks would always take place.
    Central Massachusetts

i highly recommend the good belly. i prefer liquid probiotics to pills/dry. it has 20 billion vs. 5 billion or so of most probiotics. i feel it's helped me a lot.

i don't know much about rosacea at all but i think the alpha lipoic acid is pretty nutrative to the skin. dr. perricone recommends it and he's pretty knowledgeable on skin care and diet/supplements. just something to consider.
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Thanks for asking. All of the pimples/bumps etc are gone. I have not had any breakouts or cystic type issues at all and I did have my period a week ago. I still have some red marks where they were though (I always broke out in the same exact spots). But the overall redness has faded a lot. This is the best my face has looked in probably 2 years. I will see what she has to say when I go back about going off the antibiotic and what that will do.
    wow...that's fabulous!!! I'm jumping up and down for joy for you as I post! :blob8:

My face has cleared up as well. Like you, it's the best it's looked in quite a long time. My concern now is that I can keep it clear for a long, extended period of time (I can deal with a small, stray pimple on occasion, but I hope to not deal with anything worse than that) so that I can work on tone and texture.

Congrats to you...keep me posted!

luvmylocs,
    Is this what you take? Where do you get it? You drink (is it a drink, or is it yogurt-like?) one per day in the a.m.? What does it do for you? I'm quite interested, can you tell? :)

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    VTmom wrote: »
    luvmylocs,
    Is this what you take? Where do you get it? You drink (is it a drink, or is it yogurt-like?) one per day in the a.m.? What does it do for you? I'm quite interested, can you tell? :)

Haha - I was just looking at that, too. At the top of their website is a store locator. It's found at whole foods and genuardis around my home. I'm gonna get some tomorrow. Plus there's a link for a buy 1, get 1 free coupon....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles wrote: »
    luvmylocs,

Haha - I was just looking at that, too. At the top of their website is a store locator. It's found at whole foods and genuardis around my home. I'm gonna get some tomorrow. Plus there's a link for a buy 1, get 1 free coupon....
    I'm jealous. The nearest store to my home is over 60 miles away. I guess buying online is out of the question. :angry8:

xcptnl - which pearls do you take?

yep ladies, that's the one i drink!! i love it. 9 grams of sugar, which is less than the 27 grams in the probiotic drink they sell also. it's literally the size of a shot so it's a quick drink which is good because i'm not a big juice person. it's not yogurt like it's really like a mildly thick fruity juice. i love the taste really. plus they are dairy, soy and wheat free. i've tried all 3 flavors and love them. now the big 50 that tastes a little thicker than i'd like for day to day but it's a super dose of probiotics like for when you're sick or whatever. anyway, back to the good belly plus. there are 50 cent off coupons on the carton they come in so be sure to clip that. i just do one a day so it comes out to $1 per day for my probiotics. for me it's worth it. i also haven't gotten sick this season yet, knock on wood! love this stuff!!!!
    xcptnl - which pearls do you take?

Here is their site:

http://www.enzymatictherapy.com/pearlslife/

I know the drink ones have more 'stuff' in them but I like the convenience of the pills and I figure it's better than not taking anything at all. What was weird was that the Align product did nothing for me but I really notice the Pearl product working.
    Central Massachusetts

Thanks for the link, but I see 5 different kinds - acidophilus, x-press, immune, IC (intensive care) and YB (yeast balance). Is the acidophilus the basic one?

Back to the subject of the thread - guess what? I had someone at work today tell me how great my skin looked, and I had on NO makeup! Can you believe that??? I can't - yippee! :rendeer:

Thanks for the link, but I see 5 different kinds - acidophilus, x-press, immune, IC (intensive care) and YB (yeast balance). Is the acidophilus the basic one?

Back to the subject of the thread - guess what? I had someone at work today tell me how great my skin looked, and I had on NO makeup! Can you believe that??? I can't - yippee! :rendeer:

I do just take the basic one-they did not have all those choices in the store-thank goodness.

To the bolded-fantastic!!! I bet that made you feel sooooo good!!!!
    Central Massachusetts

yeah, it did. Although she probably really wanted to finish the sentence with "compared to the ugly mess you were sporting a few weeks ago," but was too kind. No matter, I'll take what I can get!

I'm thinking I may give this probiotics thing a try.

yeah, it did. Although she probably really wanted to finish the sentence with "compared to the ugly mess you were sporting a few weeks ago," but was too kind. No matter, I'll take what I can get!

I'm thinking I may give this probiotics thing a try.

I totally understand that sentiment. SO knows I have been sooo upset over the whole face thing so he mentioned last week how good it was looking and in my head I added that part on too!!
    Central Massachusetts

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My derm prescribed Oracea, which is a very low-dose antibiotic, but I didn't like the idea of taking it and my regular doctor didn't recommend it with my other meds and everything I have going on, so I never even filled it.

But the only eason I ever sought out seabuck thorn oil as we discussed on the other thread is that the demodex mites (I think that's the correct name) that some think causes at least some roseacea supposedly hate it.

Thankfully, I haven't had to resort to either oral or topical meds or the seabuck thorn oil in quite a while.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file