Question about henna and dark dyed hair.

melodybirdsongmelodybirdsong Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Several months ago I used an all over dark brown dye on my hair. After looking at these henna pics, I'm in love with the red and wanting to give it a try. I tried to add red highlights in my hair with a hairdye made for dark hair, and it did not dye over my dark dyed hair. Can henna do this? I'm just afraid that if i do it all over, I'll have pretty red roots where my new growth is, and then yucky brown for the rest? Anyone tried this before?

Thanks in advance. :)
"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels."

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Henna cannot lighten hair - on its own, it can only give red tones, so, it's not going to make the dark part any lighter, just give it a reddish cast.

You can mix henna and indigo (to make it darker) and probably blend the old and new, making the new growth darker than it is naturally. But then you're going to have to keep that up. To totally get rid of the dark is going to require bleach or cutting, whether it's now or after you do what I already suggested for a while.

Keep in mind that henna is permanent, too, but at least you can color over it as long as it's body art grade.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Henna gets redder and redder each time you apply it. It can buildup over time and give brown hair a burgandy color. I'm using henna every two weeks to achieve buildup.

This is after 6 applications.

Picture081-vi.jpg

My hair is still damp on the ends so they look darker but you can see my roots and the tops and the red color. It was orangy at first and it's getter redder with each application.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, unless you just do root touch-ups, it gets redder but it doesn't get darker - the intensity of the red is just deeper. That's the way the ends of mine are right now as compared to the first several inches that now get only a weak henna gloss.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file