Cross post - glycerin and stripping of reds

redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
I had been using the Curl Junkie hibiscus & banana honey creme leave in. I love what it does for my hair as far as conditioning and curl definition. But, it really stripped the red out of my hair. I'm a natural red who has faded with age, and so I get it colored to enhance the red. I went in today to see my colorist, and he noted how blonde I had become, and he was right. He mentioned glycerin stripping color, especially red.

I'm not sure if it's the glycerin or the honey (or a combo) that did it, but I'm now looking for advice for those who like their leave ins that are glycerin free.

I'm a 3B, fine, but thick looking, I use DevaCare as my wash out condish, but it seems too heavy for a leave in. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave In[/buylink] dried my hair out as a leave in due to the wheat protein.

I have seen ingredient lists with glyceryl, but am not sure if this will have the same color stripping effects. It seems that lots of leve ins have glycerin in them.

Any advice and recs are appreciated whether drugstore, internet purchase, homemade, etc.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file