Hair too dark, help!!!

CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Posts: 295Registered Users
So in order to cover gray in my hair I have been coloring with box colors and also color from Sally's. But the color is now darker than my hairs natural color.

I would like to lighten my hair with minimal damage.

1st Can I use a high lift color to lighten it without too much damage? will it get lighter, after coloring too dark?

2nd Will using high lift cover the gray?

3rd which dt should i use after i put it in?

This is what I bought:
ION Color Brilliance liquid permanent hair color (305710) it is 4N
I got ION Sensitive Scalp 9% Developer 30 volume creme developer to go with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Most people describe my hair as black although i have never used color past a level 3
Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
Fine, medium porosity
Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
my hair loves protein.
for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Color will not lift color. You would be better using something like ColorFix (they have at Sally's) to gently lift some of the color to the shade you like. If you are careful, you may be able to just lift a few shades or lighten a bit to the shade you want, without having to dye it again afterward. :) Just follow the directions for Gentle color removal (with shampoo). HTH :)

Ir try using a harsh shampoo and doing a protein DT afterward.

And next time, strand test!!! :eye: (see my sig) :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Posts: 295Registered Users
    Hi there

That is what i thought, but the girl in Sally's told me that it would work so I went ahead and bought it.

The first time I colored it this dark I did strand test and it worked and I liked the dark, I have been doing it for years then I tried to gradually go with a lighter color at the roots but the gray hairs do not cover with anything lighter so I've been kind of trapped in my dark hair for a while not being able to go with anything lighter.

The dark was not an accident.

Thanks again
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I have the same problem with grays not covering. I use a med dark color about 2 shades lighter than my natural color. I am thinking about high lights to just blend the grays. There is a product at sallys called gray magic that might help the grays cover better. It dont work for me but its cheap .99 cents per color application. Might be worth a try.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I find the best thing to do is to give my head a good shampoo with regular sulfate shampoo. This usually lightens a few shades every time I do it. The sooner I do it after coloring the lighter it gets.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file