Need Help - Curls and the Car Seat

LsMomLsMom Registered Users Posts: 2
My 2 year old has curly hair... not sure what "type" - but its spirals mostly, although the sides of her hair nearest her face are mostly straight. I was told that might be lingering baby hair. Her hair continues to grow in more and more curly. When wet, it is half way down her back. When dry, it barely covers her shoulders.

I am having a difficult time keeping tangles away. Have been washing it only when I must, and using a baby conditioner on her hair every time I bathe her.

The biggest problem right now is that it becomes severely knotted every time she rides in her car seat - and has recently started breaking off in back. TONS of tiny little knots. Sometimes I am forced to cut them out, as I cannot remove them even after oiling her hair.

Any advice on how to prevent the car seat problem?
General advice on hair products?

My hair is naturally wavy, with small curls only near my ears underneath. Her dad's hair is completely straight. No idea where the curls came from ;)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I just had this thought, maybe it will help. Many people sleep on satin pillowcases to keep their hair from tangling at night. The lining of the car seat may be a fabric that catches her hair easily. Could you arrange some kind of satin fabric behind her in the car seat?
  • LsMomLsMom Registered Users Posts: 2
    Good idea. :) I have a small satin robe... might try wrapping that around the top of her car seat for a few days and see if it helps. Thanks.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    LsMom wrote: »
    My 2 year old has curly hair... not sure what "type" - but its spirals mostly, although the sides of her hair nearest her face are mostly straight. I was told that might be lingering baby hair. Her hair continues to grow in more and more curly. When wet, it is half way down her back. When dry, it barely covers her shoulders.

I am having a difficult time keeping tangles away. Have been washing it only when I must, and using a baby conditioner on her hair every time I bathe her.

The biggest problem right now is that it becomes severely knotted every time she rides in her car seat - and has recently started breaking off in back. TONS of tiny little knots. Sometimes I am forced to cut them out, as I cannot remove them even after oiling her hair.

Any advice on how to prevent the car seat problem?
    General advice on hair products?

My hair is naturally wavy, with small curls only near my ears underneath. Her dad's hair is completely straight. No idea where the curls came from ;)

Thanks in advance.

this sounds exactly like my daughter's hair. i use a satin scarf and drape it over the back of her carseat. and she also sleeps on a satin pillowcase and i put a satin blanket in her crib (because she never stays on her pllow).
  • CurlyQMomCurlyQMom Registered Users Posts: 203
    I can't believe I didn't think of putting a satin pillow case on her car seat! She sleeps on one so I don't know why it never occured to me!

Thanks!
    Sulfate & Silcone Free since July 2009
    2C-3A normal to high (ends) porosity, medium texture, lower end of med density
    Currently experimenting with Water Only Washing and dropping stylers

Negative on: AOHR, mineral oil
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyQMom/
  • tierramaria87tierramaria87 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I put a satin piece of fabric behind my son's head in his car seat since birth. His hair in the back has not broken off. So maybe you can give it a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file