CurlTalk

What's the best heat protectant ?

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
Which heat protectants do you recommend ?
I have natural hair which has hardly ever been flat ironed or blow dried, and would like to straighten it from time to time without causing heat damage.
What I'm mostly interested in, is long term protection from heat damage and afterwards the rest.

1) protecting the hair from flat iron heat damage
2) Getting good results, straight, flowy and shiny
3) Keeping away the frizz and the humidity, so that the straight hairstyle lasts as long as possible.

Can natural oils or butters such as shea butter serve as heat protectants ?

TIA

Comments

• FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Posts: 339Registered Users
    I personally would not use just an oil as it does nothing for my hair but when I mix an oil with shea butter and cocoa butter it works well for me.
    To avoid puffiness post flat iron I put my hair in 2 loose ponytails and sleep with a scarf or satin bonnet
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Posts: 260Registered Users
    I use Redken Heat Glide and Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat. For extra protein and sleekness I'll use GVP Anti-Snap and Chi Silk Infusion.

I'm not really sure how much protection something like shea butter would give.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • dmiller311dmiller311 Posts: 122Registered Users
    a leave in is good in addition to a heat protectant spray.
    3c with some 3b in there
    Current Faves:
    Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In
    Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    HE none of your frizzies
    Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel
    Diez en Uno Super Conditioner

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crownnglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    taltal wrote: »
    What do you use as a heat protectant before flat ironing ? Can natural oils or butters such as shea butter serve as heat protectants ?

And what do you do after flat ironing to keep your hair from becoming puffy and frizzy ?

Thanks

i only use natural oils or shea butter as a heat protectant. my sister does the same thing for her clients at her salon. you dont need any synthetic product to protect your hair. natural oils and butters do the same job and theyre better for your hair.

i usually only heat style on my "dirty" hair as well, never on freshly washed.
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    I thought using oil + heat would totally burn your hair?
    Natural since '03
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    curlsugar wrote: »

nope
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I use a little leave in conditioner then some frizz-ease heat defeat, works well for me, it has a cone but low on the list
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Posts: 318Registered Users
    i used oil on my hair before and my hair didnt like it. i had my step sis flat iron my hair and eventually 3 inches of my hair had to get cut off. i havent flat ironed since but i bought some shine spray that contains silicon to spray in my hair while its damp, and i have sabino moisture block to add to it when dry. im not taking anymore chances on my hair
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Thanks for all your replies.

Is the chi silk infusion good as a heat protectant on its own or does it have to be used with some extra heat protectant ?
    Has anyone used/heard of phytodefrissant and phytolisse as a heat protecter ?
    It is an almost all natural product and is supposed to be very good for heat styling.
    How good is it in preventing heat damage ?
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    I used oil for yearsssss as a heat protectant and then my hair grew longer than when i switched to silicone heat protectants (which when i realized it, prompted me to switch back)

I used an oil blend i bought from my shop (it was all natural, some man came in and sold it and the ingredients rubbed off grrr)

For the past year or so ive used a combo of Infusium23 Leave in & Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide...

recently i got great results from using jane carter leave in conditioner as a heat protectant (which it says it is) for extra protection, im also going to add One 'n Only Argan Oil Treatment on top.. which combines both the oil i enjoy with a little bit of silicone for extra heat protection !
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    Thank you Reeky.
    I've read so many good reviews on the smooth down heat glide. I think I'll try it.
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    Grapeseed oil is a great heat protectant because it has a high smoke point. Olive oil has an okay smoke point. So basically when using a natural oil make sure that you are not heating it to the smoke point.

Type of Oil Smoke Point Temperature
    Grape Seed 485ºF or 252ºC
    Avocado 480ºF or 249ºC
    Sesame and Olive 410ºF or 210ºC
    Canola 400ºF or 204ºC
    Macadamia 385ºF or 196ºC
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I love the Redken Smooth Down too...when I went natural I pretty much threw away all of my "relaxed" products, except this!

I may try mango butter or another pomade though....hmm
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Thanks for your recommendation, I've ordered the redken heat glide. Will update on the results when I get it.

Thanks DerbyCityNaturals, have you used it for continous periods of time without heat damage ?

Any opinions on the TIGI bedhead and the FHI hot sauce ? and something to prevent frizz and reversion ?
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I used the FHI Hot Sauce one time and didn't like it. It made my hair feel producty and dirty when I striaghtened.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    I've only used hot sauce to blow dry. I don't recall any adverse effects. I've used the Redken to flat iron.
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    I have not straightened my hair on the regular since I was transitioning. However when I do I use grapeseed when I want a natural oil.

One 'n Only Argan Oil Treatment has a nice smell and gives good protection but my hair felt so dry underneath. Not from this product in particular just from from coating it with cones and not being able to get some water up in there.
  • LaLaLovely76LaLaLovely76 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Grapeseed oil is a great heat protectant because it has a high smoke point. Olive oil has an okay smoke point. So basically when using a natural oil make sure that you are not heating it to the smoke point.

Type of Oil Smoke Point Temperature
    Grape Seed 485ºF or 252ºC
    Avocado 480ºF or 249ºC
    Sesame and Olive 410ºF or 210ºC
    Canola 400ºF or 204ºC
    Macadamia 385ºF or 196ºC

thanks so much for the tip!! Redken is crazy expensive (over $15 w/Macadamia oil, i'm sure it's because of that). But I just purchased a 24 oz bottle of Grapeseed oil for $9.99 at TJMaxx!!! I purchased it to cook with, LOL, but hey! I may need to use it for my hair instead!!! Should I use it solo or pair it up with shea butter or another oil?
    Don't remove the kinks from your hair. Remove them from your brain.” ~Marcus Garvey
  • CraftyKellCraftyKell Posts: 78Registered Users
    I'm sorry taltal, but no matter what products you use, you are seriously taxing your hair by blowing drying and flat ironing. I've learned that the curlier your hair, the more fragile it is. Why? Because it takes longer for your scalps natural oils to reach your ends due to the curl pattern. Also, your hair is weakest at the bends. Just the thought of using my blowdryer to actually detangle my hair makes me cringe, let alone running a tool through my hair that burns my skin with the slightest touch lol.

Have you considered rollersets instead? It's a healthier method of getting your hair straight because you don't use as much heat. However, it is very time consuming, so I only get this done at a salon. Check out my blog for tips on how to DIY. Keep in mind, your hair will be curly after the rollerset, but the bigger the rollers, the wavier your hair will be. Then all you'll have to do is pass your flat iron gently through to get your hair straighter.

But your hair may be more resilient than others (mine isn't lol). So if you want to put your hair through the blow and flatten method, I'd recommend Tigi S-factor. I used to use it back when I straightened my hair. It smells really good and helped my hair be silky, frizz free, with body.

Hope I helped! :)
    Hi, I'm Crafty! Howdy, howdy, howdy!

Crafty Kell

www.craftykell.blogspot.com
    Who says you can't make art out of yarn? View C.K.'s blog to see proof!

Crafty Kell's Curls
    www.craftykellscurls.blogspot.com
    Join C.K. as she journals her adventures with her hair.

Crafty Kell on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/craftykell
    Like C.K. on FB if you value the joys of D.I.Y!
  • CraftyKellCraftyKell Posts: 78Registered Users
    curlsugar wrote: »

Girl, everything starts cooking the moment you put heat into the equation. Putting on any product, oil or otherwise, just means it cooks first. After it's gone, your hair shaft is next. Muahaha! :D

If I ever decide to straighten my hair with the blow and flatten again, I'll try the Redkin. I've heard good things about them as well. :)
    Hi, I'm Crafty! Howdy, howdy, howdy!

Crafty Kell

www.craftykell.blogspot.com
    Who says you can't make art out of yarn? View C.K.'s blog to see proof!

Crafty Kell's Curls
    www.craftykellscurls.blogspot.com
    Join C.K. as she journals her adventures with her hair.

Crafty Kell on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/craftykell
    Like C.K. on FB if you value the joys of D.I.Y!
  • livylivy Posts: 1Registered Users
    you can also let your hair air dry with a little leave in conditioner
  • LauraWolfhartLauraWolfhart Posts: 57Registered Users
    I personally recommend using a heat protectant based on jojoba or argan oil. I have one called Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan oil that I got online at Beyas and I've been loving it so far because argan oil is supposed to be really good hair food. It also tones down the frizzes and makes hair nice and shiny, plus it's not greasy AT ALL and smells great, not overpowering. :)
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users
    My favorite straightening aid is Jane Carter Solution nourish and shine. It works as a heat protectant and also keeps my blow-out sleek and smooth. You don't need to use much and it lasts forever. Smells great too!

Ingredients:

Shea butter, Kokum butter, Illippe butter, Mango butter, Vitamins A, D, & E, grapefruit essential oils. squalene
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • monique1mmonique1m Posts: 1Registered Users
    I personally think the Karmin Spray Heat Protector is the best :thumright: