homemade cake icing recipe needed

Summer91Summer91 Registered Users Posts: 265
Anyone have a good recipe for this? Especially plain vanilla, buttercream or chocolate flavors.

Also, I know it sounds bizarre, but I hate bakery cake icing, anyone know of a way to make icing taste like the stuff in the tub? I can imagine Martha Stewart freaking out over this one, tub icing preferred over bakery...lol

Comments

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I hope these help. I found them in my Betty Crocker cook book.

Creamy vanilla frosting:
    3 cups powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter or margarine,
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, about 2 tablespoons milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla and milk; beat until smooth and of spreading consistency. Frosts a 13x9 cake or fills and frosts two 8- or 9-inch cake layers.

Note: to fill and frost three 8" layers, use 4 1/2 c powdered sugar, 1/2 c margarine, 2 t vanilla and about 3T milk.

Fudge Frosting:

1/2 C granulated sugar, 2 T cocoa, 1/4 c milk
    2 T butter or margarine, 1 T light corn syrup
    dash of salt, 1/2 to 3/4 C powdered sugar
    1/2 t vanilla

Mix granulated sugar and cocoa in 1-quart saucepan. Stir in milk, butter, corn syrup adn salt; heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes; cool. Beat in powdered sugar adn vanilla. Frosts one 8" or 9" cake layer.

I can't find anything for buttercream, sorry.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Summer91Summer91 Registered Users Posts: 265
    Thank you cynaminbear!
  • Nacho_MommaNacho_Momma Registered Users Posts: 28
    I like this one:

1 stick real butter
    1 # powdered sugar
    1/4 cup of cream or half n half ( you can adjust this to the desired consistency)
    1 tsp vanilla

cream butter, gradually beat in sugar, gradually add cream to desired consistency and then beat in vanilla.

This recipe also works well substituting cream cheese (yum) for the butter.

You can also "brown" the butter first in a pan, being careful not to burn it......and this gives it a richer, deeper flavor.

Gosh....I'm hungry for cupcakes now!! icon_wink.gif
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    Frosting is one of my bugaboos, believe it or not. I FINALLY found a recipe...well, my sis found it...on the back of the cocoa cannister that I like and that I don't screw up. I don't have it with me as I'm in PA this week, but I'll post it to you sometime over the weekend. It's a chocolate frosting with cinnamon and it's devine on chocolate cake or on yellow cake. Mmmm. icon_smile.gif

I think it was Hershey's cocoa, if you wanna check it out yourself.

It's literally the only frosting that works for me - the consistency is right, it tastes good, it's spreadable, and it's pretty. icon_smile.gif
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • madgalene00madgalene00 Registered Users Posts: 2
    An easy to adjust (for quantity) baker's recipe:

1 lb. powdered sugar
    1/2 lb. grated unsalted butter, or vegetable shortening (I prefer the butter, but if it is chocolate, they won't notice the Crisco)
    1-2 teasp. flavoring (vanilla, rum extract, orange extract, etc.)
    Pinch or two of salt, to taste
    If chocolate: Add about 1/2 c Hershey's cocoa, or to taste (I go by color, I like my chocolate dark)
    Enough H2O to make spreadable.

I like to use the food processor for this,
    if it's handy... otherwise, good ol' hand mixer does the trick.

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: AzoreanCurls ]
    Thick, fine, tinted 3B hair, past shoulder length, long layers.
  • hsmhsm Registered Users Posts: 2
    Here are my favorite frosting recipe.

Cocoa frosting:
    1/2 cup margarine softened
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2,2/3 cups unsifted confectioners sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Add ingredients with margarine. Beat on LOW until moist. Beat on MED until creamy.

This makes ALOT. I frosted a 8" double layer cake and still had spoonfulls for snacking on. Its also really really chocolately.

Also there is this trick (though never admit it to anyone who doesn't cook!)
    If you get a tub of regular frosting (mine always seems to be chocolate), not the fancy whipped kind or anything, take it out of the tub and beat it in a mixing bowl with some milk or cream and a little vanilla extract, and butter if you want it really rich. It comes out creamier than straight out of the tub and no one can tell it's not home made. So don't tell! icon_biggrin.gif
    Curly Witch
    3a, v.dark brown, just below my shoulders
    I once asked a four year old
    what the secret of life was.
    "Feed the kitties," she said,
    "feed the kitties." Ellis Felker

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file