We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What do YOU mean when you say "Coarse" hair

It is my understanding that coarse is just related to the diameter of the hairs (like if you were buying wire or thread or pipes there would be thin ones and heavier gauge ones).
I am confused when I read "my hair used to be coarse but I conditioned it and now it is smooth" and things like that. You can't cause it to grow out as smaller hairs, and why would you want to?
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Comments

  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Coarse hair does refers to the diameter of the hair shaft. It is larger than fine and medium. Whoever wrote that is confused by the definition of coarse hair. Imo, however, coarse hair also usually does feel rough when you run your finger down the shaft, compared to fine and medium textured hair.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    well, when i saw coarse, im talking about the diameter. im mostly coarse, but it depends where u pull it from. my coarse hairs are so thick and coarse (brace urself) i've used them to floss in extreme emergencies!!

    sometimes, when my straighten, it feels less coarse, since its smooth. but if i pull it out, its still coarse. its just stretched out so it seems less coarse. but dnt be fooled! i think i could strangle someone with a strand!!! just kidding :)
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

    i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    You can't change the true texture of your hair only the way it "feels". I could speculate that the person is saying that their hair used to feel coarse but now it's smooth because they use a certain product to help in that regard. A lot of times people think they have coarse hair but in reality it's just lacking moisture. If your hair is truly coarse no amount of conditioner will change that fact, but using emollient rich products will give the illusion of smoother strands :)
    Discovered CG 2007

    2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

    Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

    I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

    My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:


    CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    Coarse hair does refers to the diameter of the hair shaft. It is larger than fine and medium. Whoever wrote that is confused by the definition of coarse hair. Imo, however, coarse hair also usually does feel rough when you run your finger down the shaft, compared to fine and medium textured hair.

    Yes some of my coarse hairs are bumpy or tiny z or s or like teeny long springs all the way down so feel sort of rough, or maybe rough isn't exactly the right word but they feel textured, not smooth.

    But if I "fixed" that somehow, the hairs would still be coarse because they would still be heavy gauge.

    Fine hairs don't get bumpy? I guess they probably feel more like a mass of something than individual hairs, that makes sense.

    Anyway, it's not something I ever wanted to change so I was confused by people saying they were somehow improving their hair by making it not coarse.

    Burgundy, LOL about the flossing, mine would hold up, it's strong enough to sew with but it's not THAT big!
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

    Shoulder-Length now.

    Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

    Henna!
  • lissalissa Posts: 58Registered Users
    So can fine hair be coarse?
    Melissa Miralrio:love2:
  • dernhelmdernhelm Posts: 84Registered Users
    lissa wrote: »
    So can fine hair be coarse?

    After reading this thread, I am wondering the same thing myself.

    My hair is fine, I can't feel it when I press a strand between my fingertips. But when I run my fingers down a strand of hair it feels rough and bumpy? Is that because my hair may be porous?
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    dernhelm wrote: »
    lissa wrote: »
    So can fine hair be coarse?

    After reading this thread, I am wondering the same thing myself.

    My hair is fine, I can't feel it when I press a strand between my fingertips. But when I run my fingers down a strand of hair it feels rough and bumpy? Is that because my hair may be porous?
    Del2C is so right about coarse hair. I have coarse hair and even when I moisturize the heck put of it it still feels coarse the touch, the texture that is. There have been times when I used a silicone based products that my hair "looked" soft and smooth and almost shiny. But still if you touched it the texture was coarse. Not to mention my hair is never really shiny even when it is well moisturized and conditioned or straightened to the max with a shine spray all over it. It just diesn't shine. That too is a sign that you might have coarse hair ( so says my hair guy). My hair can "look" smooth with products that contain some silicone of sorts as a finisher. But even that is short lived.
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

    Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
    Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Prep: ? Looking for the HG
    Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
    Stylers: PM Foam
    Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

  • dernhelmdernhelm Posts: 84Registered Users
    dernhelm wrote: »
    lissa wrote: »
    So can fine hair be coarse?

    After reading this thread, I am wondering the same thing myself.

    My hair is fine, I can't feel it when I press a strand between my fingertips. But when I run my fingers down a strand of hair it feels rough and bumpy? Is that because my hair may be porous?
    Del2C is so right about coarse hair. I have coarse hair and even when I moisturize the heck put of it it still feels coarse the touch, the texture that is. There have been times when I used a silicone based products that my hair "looked" soft and smooth and almost shiny. But still if you touched it the texture was coarse. Not to mention my hair is never really shiny even when it is well moisturized and conditioned or straightened to the max with a shine spray all over it. It just diesn't shine. That too is a sign that you might have coarse hair ( so says my hair guy). My hair can "look" smooth with products that contain some silicone of sorts as a finisher. But even that is short lived.

    This is what my hair does. If I use silicones I can get it too look smoother, but it never feels smooth. And my hair is never really shiny. My hair is definitely fine. I compared it to a strand of my daughter's hair and the difference in diameter was amazing! Her single strand was SO much thicker than mine. My hair also does well with a high protein diet.

    So, I know that I can't be considered coarse in diameter. Maybe I just have an abnormally high porosity problem that accounts for the lack of shine and the "coarse" feel?
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    dernhelm wrote: »
    lissa wrote: »
    So can fine hair be coarse?

    After reading this thread, I am wondering the same thing myself.

    My hair is fine, I can't feel it when I press a strand between my fingertips. But when I run my fingers down a strand of hair it feels rough and bumpy? Is that because my hair may be porous?
    Del2C is so right about coarse hair. I have coarse hair and even when I moisturize the heck put of it it still feels coarse the touch, the texture that is. There have been times when I used a silicone based products that my hair "looked" soft and smooth and almost shiny. But still if you touched it the texture was coarse. Not to mention my hair is never really shiny even when it is well moisturized and conditioned or straightened to the max with a shine spray all over it. It just diesn't shine. That too is a sign that you might have coarse hair ( so says my hair guy). My hair can "look" smooth with products that contain some silicone of sorts as a finisher. But even that is short lived.


    I agree, Del is right. Coarse hair texture can't be changed. However, its look may temporarily be changed with product use. But the hair is still coarse in diameter and texture.

    Fine hair can't be coarse. That is a contradiction like saying a thin line is thick. Fine hair can feel coarse (here I'm using coarse as in the definition of rough like "coarse" sandpaper) if it is damaged or dry, but it cannot be coarse (as in thickness/diameter or one hair strand). The reason coarse hair is thicker and feels rough is that is has tons of protein built into the hair shaft. Since too much protein can stiffen the hair and cause it to be wiry and brittle, this is what is going on with coarse hair. Since coarse hair is manufacturing tons of protein the hair has more than it really needs and thus is thicker and feels rough. Nothing can change this if you truly have coarse hair.

    Dernhelm, if you have fine hair and it feels rough when you run your finger down from scalp to end, then your hair is probably dry and/or damaged. This is why it feels rough. Porous hair would feel bumpy if you ran your fingers from the hair end toward the scalp.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NimabuNimabu Posts: 9Registered Users
    New here, I think the confusion arises (and it did for me) because the same touch test is performed to determine the porosity and texture of your hair. When I did the strand test, my hair came out with high porosity (I could feel like I was pushing up little hairs as I made my way up) but this is exactly the same result you'll get if you perform the strand test for course texture. I was confused because it makes sense that my hair is very porous, but even though it feels course the hairs look fine. I think I have a mixture of textures, I have some hairs that are straight (i.e. they look normal) and others that have some sort of roughness to them and have some thinner parts and some thicker parts in the same strand (I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly).
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I'm a stylist.

    Coarse to me is hair diameter. So no, you can't be fine and coarse. Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.

    The confusion is because people (stylists included imo) mix up fine/thin and coarse/thick. For instance, I have very fine hair, but I have a ton of it...I'm very dense haired, very thick haired. But the size of my hairs are small. Thin and thick has to do with the amount of the hairs on the head....the density. Thin is fewer, thick or dense is a lot.

    Damage, etc, can make hair porous (or you can have some natural porosity issues like me) or overly porous. That's the bumpy feel. Fine, medium, and coarse hair can all be porous. Thick, medium and thin hair can all be porous. I used to be convinced I had coarse hair due to the rough, dry feel. But I don't. It's completely natural and normal for us to have different textures, different porosity, and different densities on different areas of the head.

    HTH.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

    Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I'm a stylist.

    Coarse to me is hair diameter. So no, you can't be fine and coarse. Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.

    The confusion is because people (stylists included imo) mix up fine/thin and coarse/thick. For instance, I have very fine hair, but I have a ton of it...I'm very dense haired, very thick haired. But the size of my hairs are small. Thin and thick has to do with the amount of the hairs on the head....the density. Thin is fewer, thick or dense is a lot.

    Damage, etc, can make hair porous (or you can have some natural porosity issues like me) or overly porous. That's the bumpy feel. Fine, medium, and coarse hair can all be porous. Thick, medium and thin hair can all be porous. I used to be convinced I had coarse hair due to the rough, dry feel. But I don't. It's completely natural and normal for us to have different textures, different porosity, and different densities on different areas of the head.

    HTH.

    Halleluyah.. finally someone that KNOWS what they are talking about on this subject!

    A lot of people say "coarse hair" in reference to how the hair looks and feels from what I noticed and it's a big misconception. And if it's not smooth to the touch it automatically gets labeled "coarse". And that really may not be the case at all.

    For instance, some people think that some black people with very tightly curled natural hair have coarse hair because of the way it looks and since it may not look or feel silky in some cases they think it's coarse hair. Even many blacks make this mistake about their own hair..

    But the truth is many blacks do not have "coarse" hair..they have fine hair..it's just densely (thickly) packed hair giving the illusion that it's really coarse to some people and people think tightly coiled hair must be coarse..but that's not neccessarily the case..frankly it's usually not the case.

    Unfortunately, I've seen and heard of many stylists promoting the misconception as well.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The diameter of the hair, not its texture. My sister's hair (coarse) is more than twice the diameter of mine (fine). And it's much stronger.
    Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.
    Not in my experience. Coarse hair I've encountered is more wiry and is quite smooth.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.
    Not in my experience. Coarse hair I've encountered is more wiry and is quite smooth.

    Oh.. I thought she was talking about diameter wise when she said that cause she used the word "tiny".. like a single silk strand is finer than a single wool strand..at least that's how I took it. :dontknow:

    Cause if you touch either a silk strand or wool strand..both are smooth. But it seems to me a wool strand would be thicker though. That is what I thought she was talking about..but I could have misunderstood her. :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I'm a stylist.

    Coarse to me is hair diameter. So no, you can't be fine and coarse. Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.

    The confusion is because people (stylists included imo) mix up fine/thin and coarse/thick. For instance, I have very fine hair, but I have a ton of it...I'm very dense haired, very thick haired. But the size of my hairs are small. Thin and thick has to do with the amount of the hairs on the head....the density. Thin is fewer, thick or dense is a lot.

    Damage, etc, can make hair porous (or you can have some natural porosity issues like me) or overly porous. That's the bumpy feel. Fine, medium, and coarse hair can all be porous. Thick, medium and thin hair can all be porous. I used to be convinced I had coarse hair due to the rough, dry feel. But I don't. It's completely natural and normal for us to have different textures, different porosity, and different densities on different areas of the head.

    HTH.

    Halleluyah.. finally someone that KNOWS what they are talking about on this subject!

    A lot of people say "coarse hair" in reference to how the hair looks and feels from what I noticed and it's a big misconception. And if it's not smooth to the touch it automatically gets labeled "coarse". And that really may not be the case at all.

    For instance, some people think that some black people with very tightly curled natural hair have coarse hair because of the way it looks and since it may not look or feel silky in some cases they think it's coarse hair. Even many blacks make this mistake about their own hair..

    But the truth is many blacks do not have "coarse" hair..they have fine hair..it's just densely (thickly) packed hair giving the illusion that it's really coarse to some people and people think tightly coiled hair must be coarse..but that's not neccessarily the case..frankly it's usually not the case.

    Unfortunately, I've seen and heard of many stylists promoting the misconception as well.


    The problem goes all the way to Cosmetology schools....they aren't drilling into stylists heads enough so they start to revert to the laymans terms.

    I don't work behind the chair anymore; I teach other stylists advanced cutting techniques and color techniques. I do drill it into their heads. A lot of them are misled about their own texture and density.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

    Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    The diameter of the hair, not its texture. My sister's hair (coarse) is more than twice the diameter of mine (fine). And it's much stronger.
    Fine hair is the complete opposite of coarse hair. Fine hair is silk like tiny strands, coarse is like wool.
    Not in my experience. Coarse hair I've encountered is more wiry and is quite smooth.

    Marah was right; I didn't mean the feel, but the diameter. Fine hair can feel smooth, fine hair can feel bumpy. Same for medium and coarse. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

    Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soursopsoursop Posts: 19Registered Users
    my understanding is fine is opposite of coasre or a thick strand of hair.
  • mm2ndjmm2ndj Posts: 156Registered Users
    my hair is coarse b/c it has an enormous diameter.

    and that affects texture, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file