CG: Which styling gels?

turidturid Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi, I want to try the CG routine, but I am not sure how to find a good styling gel. I have been using Sebastian Potion 9 as my only styling product after showering, but I see that it has a cone in it, so I probably shouldn't use it if I plan on not shampooing. All I have really ever used is different kinds of creams to define my curls and tame the frizz, so I am not familiar with the landscape of (clear) styling gels at all. Can anyone help me? And please, spell out the product names for me, because I am new here, so I don't get all the abbreviations, especially not for product names.

I also discovered that my conditioner contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:
Ingredients: Lavender Flower Infusion (Lavandula hybrida), Rosemary Infusion (Rosmarinus officinalis), Agar Infusion, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol (&) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax benzoin), Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), *Citral, *Limonene, Perfume.

The CG book doesn't say anything about this ingredient in a conditioner, but I guess it's bad since this is the number one ingredient to avoid in a shampoo. So I might need suggestions for good conditioners too, but I figured I am more likely to find a good one on my own there, since I am more familiar with conditioners than with syling gels.

Oh, and my hairtype is 3a, with some 2b underneath, and a scalp that tends to be oily unless I shampoo it with something that strips it of too much moisture.

Comments

• BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    My favorite CG gel is Special Effects (Fx) Curl Boosting Fixative Gel. In the USA, you can get it at almost any drug store or mass merchandiser. It's not clear. It's sort of yellowish in color and has shiny mica particles in it. I haven't noticed any problems, though, with it not being clear, but my hair is medium brown.

Good luck on your search.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • RedCurly1RedCurly1 Registered Users Posts: 14
    the 3 gels I have had good luck with are LA Looks Sport and HE Set me up (cheapies) and BRHG (more pricey)
    I remember when I lost my mind - there was something so pleasant about that place - gnarles barkley
    3a with 3b underneath CG since end of July 2006
    Current favorites - CK, HE SMU, ACV Rinces, Honey
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    So far I really like Herbal Essence Set Me Up gel and Suave Anti-Frizz smoothing gel.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I really like BRHG (Biosilk Rock Hard Gellee), Got2B Spiked Up (the blue one), and Batia & Aleeza Bio-mineral gel (online only). These are the only gels I use anymore. I also really used to like the one Brio uses, the FX Fixative Gel. Hmmm, why did I ever stop using it? Will have to add it back to the rotation.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • unique1193unique1193 Registered Users Posts: 328
    I really like samy get curls re-energizing potion, and herbal essences totally twisted gel.

2c/3a
    Growing out hair to a little above bsl
    pw: ringlets
    unique1193 wrote:
    I really like samy get curls re-energizing potion, and herbal essences totally twisted gel.

I hadn't realized any of the samy stuff was CG :shock: I need to stay home for a few days. I have issues :shock: I need to control my impulse to buy new shiny things :roll:
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I'm with you on controlling impulses, I'm ashamed to even add up what I've spent lately!
    I did get some Samy at Walmart today woohoo! I'll use either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink] over it or Dep Sports Gel. Those are CG for sure I know although one is blue, bad bad me! :lol:
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    WOW,
    I don't mean to guano but does this mean that all the products we discuss on this "Going Shampooless" board is automatically CG? Cool! 8)
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
    unique1193 wrote:

I hadn't realized any of the samy stuff was CG :shock: I need to stay home for a few days. I have issues :shock: I need to control my impulse to buy new shiny things :roll:

I'd read the label carefully. Several of the things that I have seen in the Samy line have silicone, at least Amodimethicone (SP?). I don't think I have ever looked at the curls re-energizing potion, though. I'll have to check this out next time I am in Walgreens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    tooj68 wrote:
    WOW,
    I don't mean to guano but does this mean that all the products we discuss on this "Going Shampooless" board is automatically CG? Cool! 8)

I would think so, but I wouldn't take it as a given.
  • unique1193unique1193 Registered Users Posts: 328
    Brio wrote:
    unique1193 wrote:

I'd read the label carefully. Several of the things that I have seen in the Samy line have silicone, at least Amodimethicone (SP?). I don't think I have ever looked at the curls re-energizing potion, though. I'll have to check this out next time I am in Walgreens.

yeah, the only product in the Samy curls line without alcohal & water insoluble cones is the re-enegergizing potion. I really reccomend it though; Because of its water soluble cones, it gives you the same kind of frizz control that real silicone does, but it washes out with water.

2c/3a
    Growing out hair to a little above bsl
    pw: ringlets
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    Although these were already mentioned... These days I am loving LA Looks Sport, FX Curl Booster Fixative gel, and Herbal Essence Set me Up.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
    unique1193 wrote:
    Brio wrote:
    unique1193 wrote:

yeah, the only product in the Samy curls line without alcohal & water insoluble cones is the re-enegergizing potion. I really reccomend it though; Because of its water soluble cones, it gives you the same kind of frizz control that real silicone does, but it washes out with water.

Something else for me to try! :twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

• gigilaprofgigilaprof Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Connoisseur
    Brio wrote:
    My favorite CG gel is Special Effects (Fx) Curl Boosting Fixative Gel.

I just found this at Six Star for $2. I'll give it a try and stock up if it works! Thanks for the tip!
    3B, thick/corkscrew. CG since 9-3-06.
    gigilaprof wrote:
    Brio wrote:

I just found this at Six Star for $2. I'll give it a try and stock up if it works! Thanks for the tip!

Dammit! I hadn't even thought to look at Six Star :twisted:
    gigilaprof wrote:
    Brio wrote:

great deal! I haven't found it that cheap yet in my area.

I hope you like it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

gigilaprof wrote:
    Brio wrote:

Dammit! I hadn't even thought to look at Six Star :twisted:

:lol:

A new source for hair products!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

• esmeraldaesmeralda Registered Users Posts: 187
    hi turid!!

i am also based in norway,are you in oslo?
    if you are,tanum bookstore at Paleet shoppingcentre has the curly girl book by lorraine massey.
    (it explains a lot about CG).

it sucks to be a CG in norway as we have little or no access to great products:/
    i usually get my firiends to pick up stuff for me when they travel or i do it myself.
    you can try cowashing with fructis conditioner for fine hair,its CG & very cheap also.it can be a little tricky to locate,but not impossible.
    since i am a modified CG i do use gentle sulphates now & then.(phytojoba shampoo,you can get it at steen & strøm shoppingmall)
    as for stylingproducts,i am still looking for some myself.
    questions to consider before buying:
    does your hair like protein?(the first time you use the product it works great,but if youre sensitive your hair will be dry & crispy the next few times you use it)

does your hair like oil? as in jojoba,coconut...
    jessicurl is a very popular line here,but very oilbased.
    i have small samples i can send you if you want to.
    let me know!!
    e.
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Turid, I'm going to take a big guess at your ingredient list above and say you're using LUSH Veganese conditioner? :wink: I hate that they feel the need to add SLS to what would be very lovely conditioners otherwise, but apparently they do so to make them easy to rinse out. :roll: I haven't found anything here in Sweden that is CG for co-washing or conditioning. The fructis stuff here definitely isn't, so unless you guys in Norway have different fructis ingredients, I'd stay off it if you really want to go CG. If you have any health food stores around, you could check them out to see if they have anything sls and cone- free. But just because they're in the health food store doesn't mean they are. Good luck with your quest! :)
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • esmeraldaesmeralda Registered Users Posts: 187
    hi lush:)
    most fructis stuff is LOADED with cones,
    except the conditioner for FINE hair.
    its on "the list".
    (list of cone & proteinfree products)
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • turidturid Registered Users Posts: 11
    esmeralda: Yes, I'm in Oslo, and I have already bought the CG book at Tanum, Paleet. I guess I will have to find out if my hair likes proteins and oil; I don't know yet.

lushaholic: Yes, I'm using Lush Veganese, and so far I actually think it works great in the CG routine, so I might just keep using it. It does not seem to make my hair or scalp dry. It is sort of funny though, that this is the conditioner from Lush that my hair has responded best to (maybe except from Retread), even though it is supposed to be the lightest conditioner they have. Coolaulin and American Cream do not give me as mush moisture as Veganese.

As for a styling gel, I ended up buying Sunsilk Creation Sculpt & Fix. It comes in a blue and green tube, and is labelled Ultra-Strong. As far as I can see, it does not contain alcohol or cones. It works well for me, and it does not make my hair sticky or crunchy.

So far I'm very happy with the CG routine, and I will definitely not go back to shampoo and cone-based products anytime soon. I don't know how it would be if I used a sulfate-free conditioner, but as long as my hair seems happy with the one I'm using, I'm not very eager to change it. But I migh't try the fructis one (thanks for the tip, esmeralda) if I feel like it, or if I run out of Veganese (no Lush in Norway :( ).
  • emoloveemolove Registered Users Posts: 1
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel is the best gel that has worked for my hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file