loosening curls with a home perm

curly01curly01 Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    curly01 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried using a home perm kit for loosening their curl a little?

I'd like to just soften my curls, not straighten my hair.
    So I'm thinking about using a home perm in the same way that a relaxer is used. By smoothing the product through my hair and leaving it on for a few minutes.

I'm wondering if this would be effective and/or would it be damaging. My hair is color treated, but with deposit only color.

Every chemical process is damaging to our hair; only the degree of damage varies. I have 3c hair and had the brilliant idea to try to reform my curls with a home perm kit many, many years ago. It didn't do a *thing* to relax my curls. Maybe it was because I didn't use large enough diameter rods, but I would think you would have to remove the natural curl pattern in order to then reform a new one...this is what the jheri curl of the 80s did, resulting in such damage to the hair that we had to saturate our heads with heavy nasty oils to "activate" our curls. :eye:

I would talk to a stylist about this, but I wouldn't try it at home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file