CG or Modified

I was wondering how many of us curlies follow the CG routine to a T meaning no poo, no silicones, etc.. I know of course many of us don't at all and others follow a modified routine of our own.
Please answer the poll and reply with any feedback! :)
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
3A curly with shoulder length hair
lovelovelove HE Set Me Up gel....
...still experimenting, any advice welcome! :)

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    My siggy says it all :lol:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    CG. No shampoo, no silicones, no flat iron or blow dryer (I do diffuse a little tho) for 1 1/2 years. It works for me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sil2opsil2op Registered Users Posts: 3
    Modified for me. I use a low-poo occassionally, diffuse, use more than just clear gel and if I ever come across something that works great for my hair cones or no cones I'll use it.
    2b/3a f/i; Modified CG
    PW: curlyq
    Flat-iron free since 7/21/06
  • curlgirl4lifecurlgirl4life Registered Users Posts: 88
    That's what I do too, sil2op! I figure that if a cone product styles my hair well and creates curls that I like, then so be it! We might as well use what works for our hair..that's my motto! :)
    3A curly with shoulder length hair
    lovelovelove HE Set Me Up gel....
    ...still experimenting, any advice welcome! :)
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I avoid 'cones and waxes like the plague, except when I get a haircut because I don't want to scare my stylist. I *know* that they'll really screw up my hair. But anything else (even SLS) occasionally has its purpose. Even though I'm careful to read ingredients and stay updated on new threats, like the 'xanes, I still get some buildup. Especially since there's no way I can do an ACV rinse, and I'd rather not use Epsom salts on my head.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Registered Users Posts: 708
    Modified definately. I tried full CG for 3-4 months, and whilst at first I had good results, it then went downhill. My curls became lifeless and I was easily prone to overconditioning. So now a mild shampoo every day days (no SLS) and a few cones are ok by me :)

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I think CG was the best thing that ever happened to my hair, but I am barely CG now. I still call myself modified CG because I avoid cones like the plague and barely ever use sulfates. I see CG as "rehab" for when my hair was dried out and damaged, and it did a great job of bringing my hair back into shape. Once I got it healthy again, co-washing and not pooing stopped working for me. I now shampoo with a sulfate-free poo 2-3 times a week, so I guess I'm not really CG. I still read all my ingredient labels and avoid anything that might build up.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    I voted modified. I only use water-soluble silicones and the amodimethicone in One Condition, but I do wash with a sulfate-free cleanser once every week or two (Curlicious Curl Cleansing Cream). Plus, I use mostly cream stylers rather than clear gels. Also, I use a clarifying shampoo (Elucence clarifyer) once or twice a year.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I use a sulfate shampoo about once a week. I would benefit from ditching the sulfates all together, but all the cool products I want to use have them so I just said, 'screw it'. Plus my water is so hard here that I think I'm better w/ them right now.

Every day I either water wash, or co-wash. I try to stay away from cyclopentasiloxane, but I will use other coned products. I don't use waxes, and stay away from things that will coat and suffocate my hair b/c I want moisture IN not OUT.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    i only use water soluble cones if there are any and i use sulfate free shampoo if i straighten my hair (for some odd reason)
    3b-3c CG
  • RedCurly1RedCurly1 Registered Users Posts: 14
    well I voted strict CG, only because I am just starting, once I am more comfortable with it I am sure it will end up more modified.
    I remember when I lost my mind - there was something so pleasant about that place - gnarles barkley
    3a with 3b underneath CG since end of July 2006
    Current favorites - CK, HE SMU, ACV Rinces, Honey
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a wavy so I get to use a gentle shampoo once a week! I gave up cones, real shampoo (T-gel), HAIRSPRAY, and comb/brushing--but do occassionally pixicurl diffuse.
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    No cones, co wash daily, sulfate free shampoo every couple of weeks (once in a blue moon I use a sulfate shampoo), air dry, no brush or comb
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Registered Users Posts: 1,628
    Modified. I use a very mild shampoo two or three times a week, and avoid sulfates and cones and waxes. I almost always air-dry, and I don't brush or comb except with my fingers.

But I don't limit myself to clear gel (though often the gels I like turn out to be clear)-- I like cream stylers too, I don't avoid polyquats, and I don't usually use conditioner aside from the conditioner in the shampoo. And I don't use Deva products.
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • unique1193unique1193 Registered Users Posts: 328
    Im definitley modified. I do use water soluble cones, and I do shampoo (without sulfates) every once and a while.

2c/3a
    Growing out hair to a little above bsl
    pw: ringlets
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    Modified CG for me. I stay away from the evil cone (cyclopentasiloxane), but do have a couple of stylers that have a cone in them. I try to not use anything that has more than one cone in it. I usually co-wash, only using a sulfate poo if I've used something with a cone for a few days. Use a sulfate-free or clarifying poo once in a while.

Don't blow dry (rarely even diffuse anymore), flat-iron or anything like that.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    Slightly modified. I use mostly cream stylers in the winter, though I use ones that rinse out just as easily as gels. And I use either Low-Poo or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink] about every couple of weeks, just to get out any possible buildup. I don't find that doing that hurts the condition of my hair at all.

But I do avoid silicones pretty carefully, and waxes and petrolatum and such.
  • Kgrl17Kgrl17 Registered Users Posts: 137
    Blush wrote:
    i only use water soluble cones if there are any and i use sulfate free shampoo if i straighten my hair (for some odd reason)

Same here. I generally follow CG but if I straighten my hair I usually shampoo before or after. Also, if I absolutley need my hair to look great then I will use a product with cones every couple months for a certain event.
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    Now for me, I have decided to do a modified "CG" routine, since I decided as of today that my hair doesn't need cones or sulfates in it anymore. I had intermixed using cones and sulfates in my routine over the past couple of weeks. But I am on eliminating these two ingredients from my regimen forever. I was starting to have to take more time detangling my hair, which I have never had to do before. So that's the min reason why I am tweaking my routine again.

Later on during late Fall, I plan on taking things up a notch and going full "CG" from then on.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    i was straight cg for about a year, then modified, (no cones or water soluble cones and non-sulfate poo), then back to sulfates and some 'cones, then modified again, and now i'm back to straight cg - no cones, no poo of any kind.

i do still have my little bottle of aveda hair detoxifier (and a heavy duty dt to follow) just in case i feel like i need it, since we have hard water ... but for now i haven't needed it.

i have been back on strict cg for about a month. i'm really liking it again.
    i am also product free except for the odd tiny smidge of pomade for surface frizz on humid days.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• IwantcurlyhairIwantcurlyhair Registered Users Posts: 338
    I was strict CG and I've slowly been changing my routine to fit my hair's needs. So I guess that makes me a modified CG'er. On average during the summer I've used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Volume-Clarifying-Shampoo-10-oz-p-37.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-volume-clarifying-shampoo]Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo[/buylink] once every month or two. I use Curls Curlicious Cleansing Cream about once a week and then do a DT(WDCT). I mainly water wash inbetween and I've been experimenting with natural ingredients like herbal rinses and tea tree oil to clean my scalp with. When I condition wash(maybe once a week) I've been having good results with Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner. I condition wash more often during the winter. Most days all I need to do is apply a lot of a creamy leave-in conditioner or I use a little oil but when it's humid out, I'll use either Curls Goddess Glaze or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink] for more hold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file