We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

maka powder

afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
I did a search because I've heard member talk about it. The search yeilded nothing. Where do you get your maka powder from?

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    you can get some from ayurnaturalbeauty.com
    I think most people have trouble finding it on the ground. Indian grocers usually do not carry it. It's also known as bhringraj

HTH
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    I also buy my maka from ayurnaturalbeauty.com . Ekua ships the items promptly and your receive your package in about 2 -4 days. :flower:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Me too! I get mine from www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com as well. Great customer service and prompt shipment!!!:binky:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    So I can have it by next wash day. sa- weet! Thank you so much!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com%2F" class="Popup

Ok, hold up! The link I posted above IS NOT her store. Please see the link here. I just happened to click on it and I've never even been to that other site....

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users
    Actually, www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com IS correct... you've been gone so long you missed the new site launch.

:flower:

I still have the ecrater store too for a while.
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

EkuaSoul wrote: »
    Actually, www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com IS correct... you've been gone so long you missed the new site launch.

See, these are the cons to ordering in bulk. If I hadn't ordered so much freakin powder, I would have checked out this new site by now.:shock:

Holy Grails:

See, these are the cons to ordering in bulk. If I hadn't ordered so much freakin powder, I would have checked out this new site by now.:shock:

LOL! Buying in bulk (from Ayurnatural Beauty) is still awesome as you get free shipping. Weren't you notified via email about the site?
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikosbellemikosbelle Posts: 363Registered Users
    What all does the maka powder do? What else are yall mixing it with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]4A hair type, looking for healthy hair suggestions and improved styling techniques

my hair pics:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmikosbelle%2F" class="Popup
    no pw needed

Currently experimeting with: MOP TOP :smurf:

My staple product lines are Qhemet, Afroveda, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, and Curl Junkie :D

Favorite combo: Afroveda pur whipped gelly + Kinky-Curly Curling Custard:angel8:
  • drawmuhfreedrawmuhfree Posts: 402Registered Users
    YAY!! I am soooo glad Africurl asked the question because I have looked all over for this to no avail and there are a plethora of Indian stores in my area. I have been wanting to try this for so long and I have ALREADY placed my order and am eagerly waiting!! I have been loving the amla and brahmi, I hope the Maka keeps the momentum...

Thanks ladies!:toothy7:
    comic-p.jpg

"[My hair and I] are in an unhealthy relationship and I am the abuser."
    --MissKinkyCoily

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdrawmuhfree%2F" class="Popup
    mikosbelle wrote: »
    What all does the maka powder do? What else are yall mixing it with?
    I read that it helps with alopecia and that in general is good for your scalp. It can be mixed with oil or water and applied as a paste to your scalp or mixed in with henna. Anyone else wanna chime in...
    Is it moisturizing? I was gonna mix it with amla, brahmi, and shikakai powders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]4A hair type, looking for healthy hair suggestions and improved styling techniques

my hair pics:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmikosbelle%2F" class="Popup
    no pw needed

My staple product lines are Qhemet, Afroveda, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, and Curl Junkie :D

Favorite combo: Afroveda pur whipped gelly + Kinky-Curly Curling Custard:angel8:

I'd suggest you mix maka with the amla and brahmi. That mixture is really potent. Shikakai is mostly use for cleansing the hair, thus mixing it with amla and brahmi would counteract their purpose. Shikakai is often used with aritha for cleansing. They can be drying thus it is advised to do an overnight oiling to aid. Have fun! :happy3:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hesh uses the name Maka for their bhringraj powder. Its 100% Eclipta Alba, which is the scientific/latin name for it.

Bhringraj is for growth and hair fall. I will only use it with amla and brahmi, as too much of maka will tend to leave my hair a little hard (not dry, but kind of stiff). Amla and Brahmi counteract that and work well with bhringraj. I tend to do somewhere around a 40-40-20 mix when I use the 3 herbs together.

However, others use a 50-50 mix (amla/maka) and have reported great results.

I have never used Shikakai powder on my hair, just in an oil.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

Hesh uses the name Maka for their bhringraj powder. Its 100% Eclipta Alba, which is the scientific/latin name for it.

Bhringraj is for growth and hair fall. I will only use it with amla and brahmi, as too much of maka will tend to leave my hair a little hard (not dry, but kind of stiff). Amla and Brahmi counteract that and work well with bhringraj. I tend to do somewhere around a 40-40-20 mix when I use the 3 herbs together.

However, others use a 50-50 mix (amla/maka) and have reported great results.

I have never used Shikakai powder on my hair, just in an oil.

What is the regimen that you follow prior to and after the application. Do you shampoo your hair, apply paste, and then deep treat afterwards?

Thanks!

my hair pics:
    no pw needed

Before, I may or may not pre-poo my hair. I admit that sometimes, I just decide to do it as opposed to planning to do it. I typically shampoo my hair first. (Sometimes I will do an oil rinse here at this step, not always) Then apply the paste just like a relaxer in sections from root to ends, cover with a cap, and let it sit for about 2 hours. Rinse really really well, then use a conditioner to get the rest out. Apply my DT and let that sit for 30min to an hour (sometimes with heat, sometimes with my body heat). Rinse, add my leave-in in sections all over, then I go back through each section and apply my moisturizing products, seal, and style.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

What results have you noticed? How often do you do the treatment?

my hair pics:
    no pw needed

I'm not Ekua, but I hope you don't mind me answering mikosbelle. I do that treatment every week (on Saturdays). I've notice a definite thickness in my hair. My hair is much thicker from when I BC. Also, this treatment has darkened my hair considerably. It's now a wonderful black. Lastly, I've seen better definition since using this ayurvedic treatment. HTH! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    I'm not Ekua, but I hope you don't mind me answering mikosbelle. I do that treatment every week (on Saturdays). I've notice a definite thickness in my hair. My hair is much thicker from when I BC. Also, this treatment has darkened my hair considerably. It's now a wonderful black. Lastly, I've seen better definition since using this ayurvedic treatment. HTH! :D

cosigning on that thickness issue, but for Amla. My hair is thicker and i get ALOT less shedding. It definetly darkens. I am a believer in the Ayurvedics! I am going to do a treatment again next weekend I thick.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
    Amla gave me thickness and definition, but when I mixed it with brahmi and maka, my hair started to grow amazingly. I'm in love with these ayurvedic herbs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Are these safe for color-treated hair? I have done research, but can't find anything on it. If it darkens I may have to reconsider.

my hair pics:
    no pw needed

The darkening happens over time. If you use it every week, the darkening may happen quicker. However, if you use it monthly, you may not experience the darkening as fast.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What results have you noticed? How often do you do the treatment?

Definitely thicker hair, stronger hair, and less shedding all over the place. I also personally notice more shine to my hair and it looks darker. I'm also getting good hair growth.

I was doing a paste treatment once a week, then I recently tried slowing down to every other week. If I go longer, my hair immediately protests and starts acting crazy - tangles, shedding, demands more product to stay moisturized.

I'm going to start doing tea rinses in between paste treatments, just so I can still get the herbal goodness every week, but cut down on the amount of time spent on my hair every week.
    Are these safe for color-treated hair? I have done research, but can't find anything on it. If it darkens I may have to reconsider.

I don't see much about people who use these herbs on their color treated hair unless its in relation to henna/indigo, not chemically colored hair. The only thing I can say for certain is that I have noticed more of a sheen to my already dark hair and I do believe there has been a darkening to it. It's a property of amla and bhringraj, so you probably want to take that into consideration. It won't happen in one application, and you won't get dramatic jet black hair, but over time, the darkening becomes noticeable.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• ChrsLvsBksChrsLvsBks Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also purchased my ayurvedic powders from EkuaSoul's store--awesome shipping time.

I am glad I read this thread. I used a mixture of amla, brahmi, kapoor kachli, maka and shikakai the last two weeks. I now know not to add the shikakai. Is there anything counterproductive to adding the kapoor kachli? I love how it fragrances my hair--light and pleasant.
    Hair: coarse texture; low porosity; normal density and elasticity

LOL! Buying in bulk (from Ayurnatural Beauty) is still awesome as you get free shipping. Weren't you notified via email about the site?

I went back and checked my email and I was. But I get sooooooooo much mail from places I online shop (GAP, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Victoria's Secret, Barnes and Noble, Borders, you get the picture...) that I just look over the emails and don't read them or I even highlight them all and throw them away.:(

Holy Grails:

ChrsLvsBks wrote: »
    I also purchased my ayurvedic powders from EkuaSoul's store--awesome shipping time.

I am glad I read this thread. I used a mixture of amla, brahmi, kapoor kachli, maka and shikakai the last two weeks. I now know not to add the shikakai. Is there anything counterproductive to adding the kapoor kachli? I love how it fragrances my hair--light and pleasant.

I've used kapoor kachli and the only thing I had to watch was how much of it I used. The first time I used mostly all kapoor kachli and it took a while for me to get all the grit out (granted I didn't let the mixture sit long either).

Other than that, I love that it kills the smell of the stinkier pastes and whenever I use it, my hair comes out fragrant and fluffy. It has such a pleasing smell to it.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

I'm am so interested in my hair not shedding as fast, at my crown my hair is noticably thinner. I am currently wearing updos with my twists to hide it. I am not interest in the darkening. I'm just started to get others to notice my henna. I will give up my burgundish color for a fuller fro any day though.

So how much of this are folks mixing for one treatment because a box is only 50g. I use 200 g of henna in one application.
    afrikurl wrote: »
    I'm am so interested in my hair not shedding as fast, at my crown my hair is noticably thinner. I am currently wearing updos with my twists to hide it. I am not interest in the darkening. I'm just started to get others to notice my henna. I will give up my burgundish color for a fuller fro any day though.

So how much of this are folks mixing for one treatment because a box is only 50g. I use 200 g of henna in one application.

I can usually get 2-3 uses of the a box of maka, but again, I am using more amla and brahmi in relation.
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

afrikurl wrote: »

I only about about 2 tsps at most due to its drying properties. I've found my length of hair, it works. My hair is shorter than yours.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MsC.MsC. Posts: 489Registered Users
    I started using henna last year to bulk up my hair,I recently came across the ayurvedic spin off thread i made it to page 16 before my vision went funny...lol.
    I want to try these are they safe over henna? Tomorrow is my birthday and this possible purchase is my b-day present to myself.
    Which one is best for moisture and thickness?
    I took the dosha test, 4 of them i think.
    I am Predominantly Vata with some Pitta.I am looking for growth and thickness any advice on which ones i should get?
    Big Chop August 23,2008 myself&two daughters;-)
    Fia`s system:3c/4aMii
    INSANITY WORKOUT week 3 Day 1 7lbs lost to date:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file