Natural Skin Moisturiser?

AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
Hi
I've realised that I've been spending A LOT of money on different lotions for my skin, since I can't find my cocoa butter lotion anywhere :( Have you guys got any ideas of a natural skin moisturiser like an oil or butter? The reason I prefer a natural moisturiser is because it seems like parabens, mineral oil & cones are everywhere & i'm just one of the people concerned about them.....they sound pretty scary, lol

ETA: I've been thinking of using coconut oil since I can find it locally, but what do you think about jojoba oil, avocado oil or even AVG? Are they ok? I've heard coconut oil is the best oil for skin :]
~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
~~~
Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
~~~

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Emu oil is a great moisturizer. This company sells the nicest emu I've ever used...always high quality, never smelly:

http://lbemuoil.com/ultraemuoil.htm

If you're anti-emu, then jojoba is second best.

If you mix a drop or two of emu oil or jojoba with a little bit of hyaluronic acid (a humescent ingredient) in the palm of your hand and then apply, it helps the oil sinks in very nicely.
  • LaFleurPrincesseLaFleurPrincesse Posts: 87Registered Users
    Cocoa butter is considered highly comedogenic, so I don't recommend using it as a facial moisturizer, especially if you're acne-prone. Coconut oil is also considered to be highly comedogenic. Shea butter is considered non-comedogenic, as are the emu and jojoba oils suggested by RedCatWaves. While I can't offer my input on emu or jojoba because I haven't personally tried them, I enjoy shea butter because it mimics natural sebum and does not cause dryness through emulsion and evaporation like many of the moisturizers you can purchase in a spa or drugstore. Sebum is "natures perfect moisturizer", so anything that mimics it (and is non-comedogenic) is going to be ideal. Although I only recommend shea butter that is *unrefined*.

And hyaluronic acid is also a great suggestion! (Read below for more information on HA.)
    N-acetyl glucosamine is a major component of HA and is an anti-inflammatory which triggers synthesis of HA in skin, accelerates wound healing, improves skin hydration, and decreases wrinkles, and it is a safe skin brightener by naturally inhibiting melanin production (good for hyperpigmentation/age spots/uneven skin). HA prevents transepidermal water loss, too, by boosting the skin's ability to retain moisture.

Good luck! :)
    2A.B // Medium // High Porosity // iii
    From what I can tell, my hair loves protein, humectants, AND emollients. It hates humidity and being touched or flipped.

I often come off as very serious and rude in writing and on forums. Please do not be offended by anything that I have said, as I don't do well with conveying written emotions and my true intent is never malicious.
    My Blog // My Twitter // My Wishlist
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love the carrier oils from here: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/oils.html

I've got sample sizes of practically all of them and have tried baobab, babbasu, broccoli seed, cranberry seed, marula, and pomegranate so far all with good results.

I use coconut cream as a spot treatment.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    Thank you for your help :] I'm not acne prone so I might try coconut oil or jojoba oil. I can't find shea butter anywhere but thanks for the suggestions anyway!! Btw, I think I saw emu oil in the chemist the other day :) xo
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

• krazy coilskrazy coils Posts: 148Registered Users
    I have recently been using the AAA shea butter sold at Whole foods as a moisturizer. I also use avocado butter I ordered online from texas natural supply. Coco butter would cause me to breakout in the past but I have not had a problem with the shea butter or avocado butter.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    thanks guys for all your suggestions :o) I picked up some coconut oil from a health food shop and it seems to be really working and not dry anymore. I used a little on my face and my face has cleared up and some dry skin/eczema on my legs. It's really good so far. I only got this because I couldn't find some of the butters/oils you suggested and it was a good bargain. Thanks again xo
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    ~~~

• caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As with everything else, one's mileage may vary! That said, I'm a huge fan of unrefined shea butter and coconut oil. I make up my own formula for my own use incorporating those two raw materials, plus a little vegetable glycerin and a bit of lavender essential oil. Very soothing, rich and moisturizing. I have normal to very slightly oily skin(not acneic though, since I'm way older), and this does not clog my pores, but mineral oil and my skin do NOT get along at all!
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Im really liking the Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lotion from Whole Foods. It costs 4.99 for 32oz and it's super moisturizing. When it's really cold or really hot outside I apply the lotion first and then go over my body with a heavy butter like shea, it provides moisture for days.:love2:
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • zeforazefora Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi :) Have you tried using the one from Derma e? It's natural and is made of tea tree oil, rosewood and uhmmm... i forgot the other one. hehe Anyways, I've been using it too. I have sensitive skin and it's acne prone as well. I'm not so sure if we have the same skin but it might help you :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file