Protective Styles

soon2bsoon2b Registered Users Posts: 220
As a transitioner I know it is best to wear protective styles. So.....what styles have you guys been wearing. Also, I have read some people wearing a wash and go....how do you do that. My permed/relaxed hair is straight and my new growth is not....can I do the wash and go....if so how? I know its a lot of questions, but help would be greatly appreciated.
event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS

Comments

• elliemay72elliemay72 Registered Users Posts: 49
    I have about 2 inches of new growth, 6 inches of relaxed ends, and I do a braid-out at night, then wrap up it up in a french roll in the morning, with a few bangs popping out. :D It's kind of protective. This way, my new growth blends with the relaxed ends better, and I'm not combing or brushing my hair, or using any heat on it. That's about as good as it's going to get for me until my hair grows a little longer. HTH!
    Loving my natural 4a curls, coils and squiggles!
  • Chriscurls MomChriscurls Mom Registered Users Posts: 13
    Soon2B,

I am transistioning also and I do wear the wash and go alot. I use the GF soft curling creme, a mixture of honey, olive oil and distilled water and a little gel to hold my curls. Once, I have scrunched for a while.

This week, I went to the salon and got 2 inches cut off and she put twist in the front and did the curls in the back. I exercise everyday, so I shower and wet it down and start the same thing again, sometimes I pull it up in a loose ponytail. HTH
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    transitioning, last relaxer 6/06
    Anything is acheivable if you believe
    PW - crisscross
  • soon2bsoon2b Registered Users Posts: 220
    ChrisCurls Mom,

How do you mix the honey, olive oile and distilled water? In other words how much of each do you put in?
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • Chriscurls MomChriscurls Mom Registered Users Posts: 13
    I put in about a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of evo and the rest distilled water in a spay bottle and shake it up.
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    transitioning, last relaxer 6/06
    Anything is acheivable if you believe
    PW - crisscross
  • abeautifulbrownabeautifulbrown Registered Users Posts: 73
    my fav protective hair style was washing my hair and while it is wet, I two-strand twist it and then twist it into bantu knots... I either let it dry completely- in which case I get a curly fro

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abeautifulbrown/233099282/in/set-72157594218913799/

OR I let it dry for about 2 hours, spritz it LIGHTLY with some water and then take them done and let them hang in spirals...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abeautifulbrown/233099299/in/set-72157594218913799/

Good luck with your transitioning! :D

*edited* I forgot I made it so ppl couldn't link to pics on my website. put them on my flickr. :)
  • FanscieFanscie Registered Users Posts: 12
    I've been doing roller sets mostly with the purple flexi-rods and twistouts occasionally. My twistout doesn't look full enough for me so I'm going to wait until I get a more new growth. But the curls turn out beautifully everytime and I wash every three days so they last. I'll post some pics soon.
    Transitioning
    Hair Length:12" - 14"
    Hair Type: 4A
    www.fotki.com/Fanscie
    PW: hairaising

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file