Does anybody else use coffee?

LaFleurPrincesseLaFleurPrincesse Posts: 87Registered Users
Do any other brunettes use coffee to naturally increase their vibrancy and color richness? I've heard using dark coffee is best, but I never have it on hand so I stick with medium coffee. It makes my color gorgeous, rich, vibrant, I can't even describe it, but I love it. And it makes my blond highlights (which I hate and am growing out) more of the beautiful light brown I had wanted them to be in the first place. Does anybody else do this? What kind of coffee do you use? Do you add anything else? (I've heard adding black chocolate is good). When do you apply it and how long do you leave it sit for? How do you prepare it? It'd be cool to find out if anybody else does this and what their modus operandi and results are. :)

My Method
Add ~1c boiling water to 1/4-1/3c medium coffee grains, stir and let sit for a few minutes.
Strain the mixture so that you have no grains in your brew, let cool.
Wet hair in shower then dip hair in coffee and let sit for about 30 seconds to ensure a good soak.
Do this on both sides, then pour half the remaining coffee on your scalp while tilting your head back.
Flip over and pour the other half over the parts of the scalp you may have missed.
Be sure everything is coated, you may want to use your fingers to very gently work the coffee towards your roots.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse and condition as usual.

(Sorry if this thread has been done before, I looked around and did a search and didn't find one.)
2A.B // Medium // High Porosity // iii
From what I can tell, my hair loves protein, humectants, AND emollients. It hates humidity and being touched or flipped.

I often come off as very serious and rude in writing and on forums. Please do not be offended by anything that I have said, as I don't do well with conveying written emotions and my true intent is never malicious.
My Blog // My Twitter // My Wishlist

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That is really cool!! I've never heard of this. I may have to try it.

How often do you do this? Do you do this every time you wash your hair?
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • LaFleurPrincesseLaFleurPrincesse Posts: 87Registered Users
    I generally do it once a week or before a big event. My hair is quite porous so it tends to soak up the color well and hold it for a while. I love it because it's not damaging like chemical hair dyes, and it's like your natural hair color, only better. Not to mention it's cheap. You don't need fancy coffee, as a matter of fact I use Harris Teeter coffee. Let me know your results if you try it! :)

Edit:
    Oh, I also wanted to mention that my mother went on vacation and is currently borrowing my camera, but when she returns I'll try to get some pictures to share. :)
    From what I can tell, my hair loves protein, humectants, AND emollients. It hates humidity and being touched or flipped.

I often come off as very serious and rude in writing and on forums. Please do not be offended by anything that I have said, as I don't do well with conveying written emotions and my true intent is never malicious.
    I wanted to share more than just my methods and opinions, so I googled "coffee dye." :)
    It doesn't Dye your hair so much as stain it. Kind of like a henna tattoo, or using red berries to stain your lips. Its only temporary. But on the upside, there are NO harsh chemicals that will harm your hair OR the environment. Also as a result of it being 100% natural, you can do it as often as you like. Good luck and how encouraging that people are interested in getting back to natural products!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2088905_.html
    I do it all the time!
    Just mix 1/2 cup (more or less depending on hair length) with a few tablespoons of your favorite conditioner. After you wash your hair, wring it out and apply the coffee mixture. Let it sit on your hair for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water.

Repeat once a week to maintain results and build up the color. The coffee stains the hair very well! Sometimes I add a tablespoon of warm olive oil as a "hot oil" treatment. It makes my hair so soft!! If you use oil rinse with warm water!
    I have tried almost everything when it comes to these treatments. (keep in mind that the amounts I use is for shoulder length hair). The coffee method worked well on my dark hair, helped with shine and color intensity.
    I used:
    - 2 cups of leave in conditioner
    - 2 tbs of ground coffee
    - 1 cup of cold brewed coffee
    Mix the leave in conditioner with the ground coffee and the cold brewed coffee in a bowl. Then put it in your hair like you would any 'regular' hair dye. Leave it in for 1 hour or as long as you see fit.
    I'd recommend doing it because my hair feels really nice now and my husband thinks it looks a bit darker
    Coffee is not just good for waking you up in the morning, it can provide a much-needed wake up call for your hair as well. Coffee brings out the red and brown highlights in dark hair and can even cover and blend in gray. You can add shine, facets and dimension to your hair using a simple coffee mix that does not contain any chemicals or unnatural ingredients.
    If you do not see as marked a difference as you hoped for with your coffee rinse, repeat the rinse process for several days in a row. Sometimes natural dyes have a more subtle effect and can take multiple applications to achieve the desired look.

• MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    I don't use coffee, but I use Red Chai tea to bring out my reddish highlights in my hair (I have coffee brown hair, but it can be teased to auburn). I mix red chai tea with honey and olive oil, then add some flour to make a paste (though i want to test out using thicker oils instead) to make a mask. Then I leave it in my hair for awhile, and rinse it out.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for this interesting topic!! :love2: :coffee:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    I don't use coffee, but I use Red Chai tea to bring out my reddish highlights in my hair (I have coffee brown hair, but it can be teased to auburn). I mix red chai tea with honey and olive oil, then add some flour to make a paste (though i want to test out using thicker oils instead) to make a mask. Then I leave it in my hair for awhile, and rinse it out.

Ooh, I want to try that! I also want to try turning my coffee mixture into a paste, it sounds like a paste would penetrate better. Some people suggested mixing it with condish but it seems like the condish would be absorbed and leave no room for the coffee to set in, so I'm not too sure about it. I definitely want to try adding olive oil and honey! How much water do you add to your chai tea, and how many packets of tea do you use? Thanks! :)

anniemae wrote: »
    Thanks for this interesting topic!! :love2: :coffee:

You're welcome! I am very glad that you are enjoying it! :thumbright:

I use loose chai leaves, so it's about 1tsp for one cup (for drinking),but I use one cup with 2tsp for the paste. I use 1tsp honey, and 1tsp olive oil. Last night though, I tried making a paste with paprika (it was suggested to make a paste with a spice the same color as your rinse, but I was afraid to use the hot spice) I'm not sure if my highlights are any redder though, it might take some time.

For coffee, I'd suggest maybe making the paste with black coffee (dark brown) baking cocoa (med brown) or cinnamon (light brown).
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
    Ugh, just undid my hair from letting it marinate in the paste, paprika was a no go tangles everywhere
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • ricitos de ororicitos de oro Posts: 11Registered Users
    This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Do you think it would work on my dishwater blonde hair? Would it be really drastic since it's lighter? I've never dyed my hair, but I'm looking for a subtle change.
  • wredna.ankawredna.anka Posts: 28Registered Users
    Oh, I must try that! Do you use grain coffe or express?
    ____

curlies are great.:love10:
    3b/a?
    fine/medium
    very dry
    on the beginning on the way of helping them:angel8:
  • notyouraveragecurlnotyouraveragecurl Posts: 193Registered Users
    Bump! Interesting thread! I'd like to know more as I'm starting to feel bored with my black hair. :sleepy1: I'd like to know the answer to the above question as well! What kind of coffee do you guys use?

Also, @ Mysticspiral: how big of a difference do you see in your hair using the tea? :happy7:

Thanks, ladies :)<3
    There is a phenomenal amount of beauty in self-acceptance. <3
  • elitaelita Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This looks interesting. I had heard of this before and I've actually googled it but none of the sites listed how much coffee to use. (thanks LFP!) Before finding this site and going modCG, I used to use products that enhanced natural highlights for brunettes. I forgot the name but they smelled like a combination of cocoa and coffee.

Hmm...I might have to try this today. I'll let you know how it goes! :toothy10:
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
  • FriggaFrigga Posts: 42Registered Users
    I HAVE to try this! If it gently covers greys I'm sold, that's the only reason I dye my hair, and I recentlly got highlights thinking the incoming grey would be better intigrated (NOT). Thanks for the posts and I'll post again after I try!:toothy8:
    Sulfate free since may of 08!!
    MOD CG since July 09

2b-3a from base to canopy, Self proclaimed 2.5c,botticelli f-mii
    Hendigo head!
    lo poo: burt's bees, Dr. Bonner's
    co wash: Deva curl no poo or suave
    Condish: biologe conditioning balm
    Stylers: AG re:coil, FSG and proclaim
    Plopping...where have you been all my life?!
    I tried this as a rinse on Saturday but my hair has low porosity and I think the rinse really didn't soak into my hair.

Yesterday I had the not so bright idea of using leftover coffee grinds mixed with conditioner as I would a brown sugar scrub. Then left it on while I shaved and finished my shower. Well it helped to exfoliate my scalp, made my grown out highlights darker and made the gray not as noticeable.

However, coffee grinds do NOT dissolve in water. Silly me, I knew this but still tried it anyway. I am still cleaning grinds out of my shower and finding them among my conditioners and razor. (sigh) I think next time I'll try MysticSpiral's suggestion of using flour and brewed coffee. :oops:
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    Other Favorites:
  • yogigalyogigal Posts: 31Registered Users
    Anyone have before and after pictures to share?
    Last Relaxer - July 1997
    BC - November 1997
    dreadlocs - Spring 99 - August'-09
    took down my locs - September 09

Now, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it!:glasses8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    I have tried this several times before but as a DT, not a rinse. I mixed some dark coffee with conditioner and ground chocolate. I put the paste in my hair and left it in for a few hours (a little longer than I would leave a regular DT). I'm not sure if there was any difference in color but I know my hair was veery shiny and it smelled great for days. I haven't done this in a while because winter break is over and I'm bombarded with school work, but I think I'll start doing it again soon.

PS- I was doing these DTs every 3 days. My hair felt and looked great. Maybe because of all the DTing.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    Frigga wrote: »
    I HAVE to try this! If it gently covers greys I'm sold, that's the only reason I dye my hair, and I recentlly got highlights thinking the incoming grey would be better intigrated (NOT). Thanks for the posts and I'll post again after I try!:toothy8:

This is totally me, too! I allowed my stylist to go heavier in an attempt to cover more of the gray. She wanted to use the lighter colors because they would blend with the gray better. Well, it makes sense, but it's also very damaging to fine dark hair like mine, and now I'm having major breakage. I need something for the future because I can't do the highlighting thing again.

So is there an update?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • swansinaprilswansinapril Posts: 117Registered Users
    I would really love to see before & after pics too! I am certainly going to try this -- tomorrow! :toothy10:
    Very coarse, thick, porous 3B. My biggest challenge is SOFTNESS and SHINE.

Current shampoo: Biosilk w/ added vitamin E
    Current conditioner: Lush Okra :love5:
    Leave-ins: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, KCCC
    CG didn't work for me. Oils don't work for me. Trying hard to learn how to love my hair. Read my blog.
  • swansinaprilswansinapril Posts: 117Registered Users
    I used the coffee yesterday, and I sprayed a bit onto my hair today. I am pretty impressed with the results, not to mention my hair smells like heaven :thumbup:

I mixed up something of my own, I did:

2 cups cold brewed coffee
    1.5 T coffee grounds
    Aprox. 1 cup Philip B. Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse

I washed & conditioned my hair, then applied this, tied it up, and left it in for 1 hr. I would not use the coffee grounds again; it was far too messy, and hard to get out. My hair was very healthy and shiny afterwards, and much curlier (actually well-formed curls, as opposed to frizz). I find that my hair is much curlier when it is well nourished.

This morning I was still impressed with the conditon, although I think I'll need a few more applications to fully stain the color into my hair.
    Today I put some coffee into a spray bottle, added some olive oil, and refrigerated it, then sprayed it on. This has done a better job with the color-staining.

I'll keep it up! Very happy with this! :cheers:
    Very coarse, thick, porous 3B. My biggest challenge is SOFTNESS and SHINE.

Current shampoo: Biosilk w/ added vitamin E
    Current conditioner: Lush Okra :love5:
    Leave-ins: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, KCCC
    CG didn't work for me. Oils don't work for me. Trying hard to learn how to love my hair. Read my blog.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    If you don't mind me asking, are you covering any gray?

Pics? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
    If you don't mind me asking, are you covering any gray?

It seems to cover the gray VERY subtly. On my hair it looks like I have very light blond highlights. I've only done this once a week for the last 2 weeks though and it sounds like there could be a cumulative effect if used several days in a row.

I'm trying to find a way to allow the coffee to sit on my hair longer. I tried the flour but it made the mixture lighter and I felt like I needed a lot of it to really make a paste. I'm thinking of trying instant coffee granules mixed with conditioner. These would dissolve in water and I think I could concentrate on the grays and the old hightlights a little better.
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    Other Favorites:
  • AthenaAthena Posts: 36Registered Users
    The coffee staining was such a great idea. I tried it last night mixing coffee grounds in water with a little olive oil, then adding to leave-in conditioner. I left this on for about an hour, then rinsed. My hair smelled great with fabulous shine and nice highlighting--maybe with even more bounce to my curls. However, it didn't cover my grays at all (I have dark chocolate brown hair). That was disappointing because I was hoping to find a gentler solution to coloring my stubborn grays. I will have to try more of a paste next time and see if this helps. I don't want to give up just yet....
    "A great deal of talent is lost in the world for want of a little courage."
    ~~Sydney Smith
  • mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    Intriguing! I'm wondering if espresso grind would be fine enough to make a paste that rinses out. Can't wait to try it with next washing!! :toothy4:
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • kissthegirlkissthegirl Posts: 2Registered Users
    Has anyone tried using the Starbucks VIA instant coffee?? it's a microground instant coffee, that you just add to hot water. It dissovles wonderfully in water, so you wouldn't have pesky coffee grounds in the shower. I'm just asking because I work at a starbucks and have tons of the VIA samples and am interested in using coffee to dye my light brown hair.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Very interesting thread! Can't wait to try this :toothy8:.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file