Hashbrowns from scratch

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Anyone know how to make them from scratch? I'd love your tips if you have any..:angel3:

I'm trying to make some now, but they're just coming out burned on the bottom and mushy on top.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No tips but I feel your pain. Hash browns and omlettes are the 2 breakfast foods I have yet to master :(
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    You have to squeeze all the water out of it. I use a potato ricer.
    hello.world.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No tips but I feel your pain. Hash browns and omlettes are the 2 breakfast foods I have yet to master :(

Omlettes I can do.. what kind of problems do you have?
    webjockey wrote: »
    You have to squeeze all the water out of it. I use a potato ricer.

Thanks for the tip.. I'll have to try again next weekend. :icon_smile:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I put my potatoes and a small onion through my food processor to shred them, then let sit in a strainer for a while to get out most of the liquid, then thoroughly squeeze out the rest of the liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Sometimes I add rosemary. Add a bit of chopped bell pepper if you like. I bake mine in the oven, rather than fry. I spread the potato mixture out on a lightly olive oiled pizza stone, and spray a little olive oil on the top. Bake 20-30 minutes at 375, til as brown as you like.

They're a lot of work and make a lot of dirty dishes. I admit...I usually make them for dinner rather than breakfast, because they are so much work. I start with frozen shredded potatoes if ever I need breakfast hash browns.
    I put my potatoes and a small onion through my food processor to shred them, then let sit in a strainer for a while to get out most of the liquid, then thoroughly squeeze out the rest of the liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Sometimes I add rosemary. Add a bit of chopped bell pepper if you like. I bake mine in the oven, rather than fry. I spread the potato mixture out on a lightly olive oiled pizza stone, and spray a little olive oil on the top. Bake 20-30 minutes at 375, til as brown as you like.

They're a lot of work and make a lot of dirty dishes. I admit...I usually make them for dinner rather than breakfast, because they are so much work. I start with frozen shredded potatoes if ever I need breakfast hash browns.

Thanks RCW! Your method sounds like a healthier way to have hash browns.. and @ the bolded, I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into..lol :confused2:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

Thanks RCW! Your method sounds like a healthier way to have hash browns.. and @ the bolded, I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into..lol :confused2:

Yeah, it's usually more than I want to do in the morning. I've fried leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast and that turns out OK. The pan needs to be really hot, and well-oiled. I sometimes form into patties, or just fry it scattered in the pan. Fry til they are as brown as you like.
  • writerchicknycwriterchicknyc Posts: 8Registered Users
    If you do want to make them the traditional way on the stove top, you have to do it low and slow - low heat for a long time. And don't touch them so they get the crunchy bottom. I learned the method from watching Good Eats on The Food Network and it can't be beat.
    If you do want to make them the traditional way on the stove top, you have to do it low and slow - low heat for a long time. And don't touch them so they get the crunchy bottom. I learned the method from watching Good Eats on The Food Network and it can't be beat.

They don't come out greasy that way? I'll have to try all the different methods. :icon_smile:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and if you have any more, keep em coming!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

Omlettes I can do.. what kind of problems do you have?
    I can never seem to cook it over the right heat I guess. The outside will be cooked but not the inside. Or I can't flip it right. I just stopped trying and started making scrambles.

I'll def have to try RCW's way of cooking hashbrowns in the oven.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file