dye over highlights?

curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
Hey
I posted a while back that I have had highlights but I really don't like them, I think they're far too light.. everyone else goes on about how they like it and so on.
I want to dye it an auburn/mahogany type shade ( which is what I originally wanted my highlights to be) my hair is naturally very dark brown and to me the highlights are very blonde in reality they are more of a dark honey/ caramel blonde..

Anyway my question, if I dye my hair will the highlighted parts take more color and be darker than the rest?
Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am totally not sure of this, but I seem to believe the opposite will happen. I think that the highlighted parts will stay lighter. :dontknow: :confused3:

Btw, are you coloring it yourself or going to a salon?
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • curlprocurlpro Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you use semi or demi-permanent haircolor choose the same level(very dark brown 4-6) as your hair and leave it on 30 minutes you will cover them up about 90%. If you use permanent color you will lighten your natural color and the hilights will be lighter than your natural. Permanent color lifts the color out then re deposits color into the hair. You already have the lift, the hilights, and all you need is the deposit, color into the hair strand. Semi and Demi just deposit that is what you need plus it wont't mess up your natural color by making it lighter.
    Cynthia
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies, I plan to do it myself, I had always dyed my own hair but had it cut by my friend.

When deciding I wanted Highlights I thought it best to go the professional route and had her do it.
    she did a good job as far as where she placed them, but it's not the color I want, she luckily, didn't use bleach ( which I'm not sure I understand :confused:) but she said that my color lifts really easily.
    When doing it at home I always achieved the tone I want, besides I can shout and yell at my Mama when she's pulling snagging, I don't think I could do that in a salon..lol or they'd probably kick me out with half my head done..
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When deciding I wanted Highlights I thought it best to go the professional route and had her do it.
    she did a good job as far as where she placed them, but it's not the color I want, she luckily, didn't use bleach ( which I'm not sure I understand :confused:) but she said that my color lifts really easily.
    That means she used a permanent color with high lift (ammonia/peroxide).

You can use Color by Robert Craig to tone your highlights to the color you want. But I would choose a color a little lighter than you want, or don't leave it on as long so the highlights don't grab too much color. Also, if you are trying to get them much darker, you might need to use a light blonde to fill them. I can help you choose colors for that, if you go with RC. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    [quote=CurliLocks;1141319
    That means she used a permanent color with high lift (ammonia/peroxide).

You can use Color by Robert Craig to tone your highlights to the color you want. But I would choose a color a little lighter than you want, or don't leave it on as long so the highlights don't grab too much color. Also, if you are trying to get them much darker, you might need to use a light blonde to fill them. I can help you choose colors for that, if you go with RC. :)[/quote]

Thanks, I don't know if we have Robert Craig in the UK, I've only ever heard US folks talk about it
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    A filler is a must when covering blonde highlights. Without the filler the highlights wont hold the color very well. They should look more natural with a filler as well.
  • terrapinsterrapins Posts: 44Registered Users
    Hello Crazy Waves,

What is a filler? I need to darken my hair from medium blonde- golden, to dark blonde. I have had highlights and lowlights but they are fading. I want to go more natural without all the stress and drying out that happens in salons and with perm. color. Any suggestions?

Terrapins

3a/b- modified CG, fine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file