Carley's product made my daughter have MASSIVE breakout! HeLP!

AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
So I bought the Carley's Clear and Smooth product off of ebay after reading all the stuff and having some friends swear by it. I'm 43 but still get a very occasional pimple--I had very bad acne in high school and through my 20's. Not cystic but tons of pimples all over face, back, and especially neck and jawline. I have oily skin. The Carley's works awesome for me -- never tried anything as good! I use their moisturizer and face mask as well and I absolutely love them. My skin is clear and smooth and the skin tone is getting more even.

The problem is, after using it for several weeks, I had the idea that my daughter should try it. Lots of testimonials all over that it works great for teens plus my friends kids of course. We've tried several different things including proactive, neutrogena, cetaphil, basis soap, Oxy stuff, plus many other kits. What worked best is Kathymack's peppermint and tea tree soap that was organic.

After using it for just 3 days her forehead has what looks like 50-60 pimples and clogged pores. I have never seen anything that bad on her before. It's terrible. Luckily, even though she is 12, she doesn't really care as long as they aren't the cystic ones that hurt. She does pick at them :pale:

There are many ingredients in the Carley's that I might be able to point to as the problem. It's so weird that her skin reacted that way..even though she has normal skin (not oily) in the past our skin always reacted fairly well equally. I always tried everything onmyself before giving it to her just to be sure. I'm beating myself up over this seriously.

Do you have any advice for where to go from here? I don't have a ton of money to order super expensive treatments at this time...unfortunately I had an unexpected expense :sad5: Right now we are washing with the peppermint and tea tree soap and then using the Proactive lotion (with BP 2.5 to 7% depending on which one we use) and the proactive mask to spot treat the pimples. It's really the clogged pores that worry me. I just feel terrible!
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is it possible that the gunk in her skin is coming to the surface and it will purge itself in a few weeks? Maybe this is part of the process.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would def take her the the Dermo (MD)
    Don't mess with her skin especially is she's a picker.
    Scars from picking pimps can be bad later in life.
    Just a simple natural routine can get her back on track. Break outs are normal for a 12 yo.
    Good Luck!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • LaFleurPrincesseLaFleurPrincesse Posts: 87Registered Users
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    What worked best is Kathymack's peppermint and tea tree soap that was organic.

Acne can actually be caused from being overly harsh with sensitive skin. While I am a licensed esthetician, I can't see her skin to give her a proper consult. It seems to me that the reason why this worked so well is because her acne spawns from exacerbation. If that's the case, the gentler you are, the less breakouts she will have. I have this type of skin, too.
    After using it for just 3 days her forehead has what looks like 50-60 pimples and clogged pores. I have never seen anything that bad on her before. It's terrible. Luckily, even though she is 12, she doesn't really care as long as they aren't the cystic ones that hurt. She does pick at them :pale:

While I believe that her acne is sensitivity-related, you cannot judge a product after 3 days. Products cannot be judged fully until about 6-8 weeks into the program. These breakouts may be a purge, which generally happens with products such as these. Everything that was under the skin may be coming up, and this can last anywhere from days to weeks. However, the way you describe it leads me to believe that it may not be this, so I recommend getting her back on that organic soap ASAP.
    I always tried everything onmyself before giving it to her just to be sure. I'm beating myself up over this seriously.

As good as your intentions are, unfortunately this means nothing to her skin. Everybody's skin is different, even if they are genetically related, and what works amazing for you may be the worst thing in the world for her. Although I think it's very sweet that you would do that for her. :)
    Do you have any advice for where to go from here? I don't have a ton of money to order super expensive treatments at this time...unfortunately I had an unexpected expense :sad5: Right now we are washing with the peppermint and tea tree soap and then using the Proactive lotion (with BP 2.5 to 7% depending on which one we use) and the proactive mask to spot treat the pimples. It's really the clogged pores that worry me. I just feel terrible!

Bear with me on this one, as I know it sounds a bit odd. I recommend keeping her on organic soaps, preferably cleansing oil soaps. I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Almond Organic Bar Soap.

Here are the ingredients:
    Saponfied Organic Coconut Oil*, Saponified Organic Palm Oil*, Saponified Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Glycerin, Water, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Almond Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (Vit. E), (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

As you can see, it's basically oil. While it seems counterproductive to cleanse acne with oils, these are non-comedogenic cleansing oils, and are much better for your skin than anything else. Some of the products you are using may be effecting the integrity of her skins natural barriers and not giving them time to repair themselves before harming them again. This generally happens with things like acne cream and foaming washes. Keep in mind that sebum is sterile, and is natures most perfect skin lubrication. Sebum traps dirt and other particles which cause acne, so it does need to be cleansed, but cleansing oils will not strip your skin, only purify it. Also, I would keep her off the acne cream, if this acne is being caused by irritation then that will only make it worse. As for moisturizer, try using all-natural, unrefined shea butter. It is non-comedogenic and the best moisturizer you can use as it mimics human sebum. Many moisturizers make your skin drier throughout the day, making no moisturizer better. For example, you use nothing and around 3pm your skin is a level 2/5 in dryness. On the other hand, you use a moisturizer which helps at first, but around 3pm your skin is a 4/5 in dryness. Emulsion and evaporation are the cause of this, which doesn't happen with shea butter, making it extremely ideal. So summarizing what I've said so far, organic soap bars and shea butter moisturizer, no acne cream. For the acne, I recommend adding one-two drops of pure tea tree oil to either her soap (after she's foamed it in her hands) or her moisturizer. Also, use baking soda. It makes a perfect natural exfoliant and tends to be non-irritating for most individuals. I like to wet the baking soda into a paste and use it to scrub my face (light fingertip pressure is all you need, anymore will likely be bad). Then, instead of rinsing it off, I leave it on as an acne-fighting mask for 5-10 minutes. Then I rinse it off and follow up with my moisturizer. She can either wash or not wash her face before doing this (whatever her preference is), as baking soda is very cleansing. Like I said, I can't see her skin to fully understand it, but at the very least this regimen has an extremely, extremely low chance of breaking her out, and I do believe it will help. Also, it's cheap. I don't know how much the organic soap you use now costs, but the one I use is $4.19. You have to spend $20 to complete a transaction, but you get free shipping and handling, and you get five bars for that cost, so if she likes it then it will sustain her a long while. The shea butter I get is $11 for 2oz, but you don't need much so it lasts a while, as well. Just be sure it's unrefined. I found pure tea tree oil at Ulta, and though I don't remember the cost I think it was fairly cheap and it lasts me forever. As far as baking soda, you likely have that around the house. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! I hope things get better for her!

P.S. Tell her to use a microfiber towel and pat, not rub, her face dry. I recommend this for absolutely everyone, regardless of age or skin condition. Also, don't let her wash her face more than twice a day. Some people recommend washing after working out, though I've heard sweat is sterile and this is not necessary. In the case of her working out, let her do whats best for her skin. :)

Edit: Also have her wash her face after she does her hair to ensure the proper rinsing of conditioner off the face.
    2A.B // Medium // High Porosity // iii
    From what I can tell, my hair loves protein, humectants, AND emollients. It hates humidity and being touched or flipped.

I often come off as very serious and rude in writing and on forums. Please do not be offended by anything that I have said, as I don't do well with conveying written emotions and my true intent is never malicious.
    My Blog // My Twitter // My Wishlist
    IamDonna wrote: »
    I would def take her the the Dermo (MD)
    Don't mess with her skin especially is she's a picker.
    Scars from picking pimps can be bad later in life.
    Just a simple natural routine can get her back on track. Break outs are normal for a 12 yo.
    Good Luck!

I agree with this. Do not let her pick her skin under any circumstances! I had always done this as a kid and while I've fixed my scaring since then, there were quite a few years where I felt ugly if I didn't wear make-up because I had scars. And yes, a dermatologist is a good idea in this situation. :)
    From what I can tell, my hair loves protein, humectants, AND emollients. It hates humidity and being touched or flipped.

I often come off as very serious and rude in writing and on forums. Please do not be offended by anything that I have said, as I don't do well with conveying written emotions and my true intent is never malicious.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Acne can actually be caused from being overly harsh with sensitive skin. While I am a licensed esthetician, I can't see her skin to give her a proper consult. It seems to me that the reason why this worked so well is because her acne spawns from exacerbation. If that's the case, the gentler you are, the less breakouts she will have. I have this type of skin, too.

While I believe that her acne is sensitivity-related, you cannot judge a product after 3 days. Products cannot be judged fully until about 6-8 weeks into the program. These breakouts may be a purge, which generally happens with products such as these. Everything that was under the skin may be coming up, and this can last anywhere from days to weeks. However, the way you describe it leads me to believe that it may not be this, so I recommend getting her back on that organic soap ASAP.
    I always tried everything onmyself before giving it to her just to be sure. I'm beating myself up over this seriously.

As good as your intentions are, unfortunately this means nothing to her skin. Everybody's skin is different, even if they are genetically related, and what works amazing for you may be the worst thing in the world for her. Although I think it's very sweet that you would do that for her. :)

Bear with me on this one, as I know it sounds a bit odd. I recommend keeping her on organic soaps, preferably cleansing oil soaps. I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Almond Organic Bar Soap.

Saponfied Organic Coconut Oil*, Saponified Organic Palm Oil*, Saponified Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Glycerin, Water, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Natural Almond Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (Vit. E), (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

As you can see, it's basically oil. While it seems counterproductive to cleanse acne with oils, these are non-comedogenic cleansing oils, and are much better for your skin than anything else. Some of the products you are using may be effecting the integrity of her skins natural barriers and not giving them time to repair themselves before harming them again. This generally happens with things like acne cream and foaming washes. Keep in mind that sebum is sterile, and is natures most perfect skin lubrication. Sebum traps dirt and other particles which cause acne, so it does need to be cleansed, but cleansing oils will not strip your skin, only purify it. Also, I would keep her off the acne cream, if this acne is being caused by irritation then that will only make it worse. As for moisturizer, try using all-natural, unrefined shea butter. It is non-comedogenic and the best moisturizer you can use as it mimics human sebum. Many moisturizers make your skin drier throughout the day, making no moisturizer better. For example, you use nothing and around 3pm your skin is a level 2/5 in dryness. On the other hand, you use a moisturizer which helps at first, but around 3pm your skin is a 4/5 in dryness. Emulsion and evaporation are the cause of this, which doesn't happen with shea butter, making it extremely ideal. So summarizing what I've said so far, organic soap bars and shea butter moisturizer, no acne cream. For the acne, I recommend adding one-two drops of pure tea tree oil to either her soap (after she's foamed it in her hands) or her moisturizer. Also, use baking soda. It makes a perfect natural exfoliant and tends to be non-irritating for most individuals. I like to wet the baking soda into a paste and use it to scrub my face (light fingertip pressure is all you need, anymore will likely be bad). Then, instead of rinsing it off, I leave it on as an acne-fighting mask for 5-10 minutes. Then I rinse it off and follow up with my moisturizer. She can either wash or not wash her face before doing this (whatever her preference is), as baking soda is very cleansing. Like I said, I can't see her skin to fully understand it, but at the very least this regimen has an extremely, extremely low chance of breaking her out, and I do believe it will help. Also, it's cheap. I don't know how much the organic soap you use now costs, but the one I use is $4.19. You have to spend $20 to complete a transaction, but you get free shipping and handling, and you get five bars for that cost, so if she likes it then it will sustain her a long while. The shea butter I get is $11 for 2oz, but you don't need much so it lasts a while, as well. Just be sure it's unrefined. I found pure tea tree oil at Ulta, and though I don't remember the cost I think it was fairly cheap and it lasts me forever. As far as baking soda, you likely have that around the house. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! I hope things get better for her!

P.S. Tell her to use a microfiber towel and pat, not rub, her face dry. I recommend this for absolutely everyone, regardless of age or skin condition. Also, don't let her wash her face more than twice a day. Some people recommend washing after working out, though I've heard sweat is sterile and this is not necessary. In the case of her working out, let her do whats best for her skin. :)

Edit: Also have her wash her face after she does her hair to ensure the proper rinsing of conditioner off the face.

Just have to say it...

Saponofied oils are not oils any longer...they're soap. They retain none of the properties of oil. Most soaps, espcially in hard form, have very high pH levels. High pH will injure the skin barrier every bit as much as harsh detergents. I don't think anyone should be using bar soap on their face.

I would suggest a liquid castile soap cleanser that has had it's pH brought down to neutral or acidic (Dr Bonners is extremely high...like 11...and therefore very bad for the skin barrier). PSFskincare.com has a Gentle Cleasing Castile that meets the lower pH criteria. It's about $20 for 8 ounces (you can get 20% off by typing facebook20 in the promotion code box at checkout), and it is very concentrated, so you only need a tiny amount, and will last 6 months to a year.

PSF also carries a nice 2% or 5% salicylic acid, which is good for acne. I don't think 12-year-olds need more skincare than just cleansing and a SA treatment product. If moisturization is needed (contrary to what the beauty industry would have you believe, most acne-prone people do not need moisturizing...natural skin oils abound in teens and pre-teens), I would suggest a drop or two of emu oil or jojoba, mixed in the palm of the hand with a little blob of hyaluronic acid then applied to the face (PSF also carries HA, but there are cheaper sources. If interested, I can list). HA is a humescent which helps the skin absorb the emu or jojoba oil. It's an ingredient in most moisturizers, but not really available on most store shelves. Most commercial moisturizers contain detergents and other skin damaging ingredients.
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Thank you so much all. I'm going to go investigate all this and write it down. I'm fine with up to $20 cleansers (I don't consider that expensive). Many of the girls that work with me buy stuff that is SO expensive. Like $100 for a kit--so that's what I meant.

I will have to go see all these things! There are some good options for her. Until we get something else I told her she can continue with the soap she's using...since I don't have anything else in house..but I do have baking soda and tea tree pads she could use to spot treat for now and then I'll look for what we want to order.

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. It means a lot to me and to her!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Just have to say it...

Saponofied oils are not oils any longer...they're soap. They retain none of the properties of oil. Most soaps, espcially in hard form, have very high pH levels. High pH will injure the skin barrier every bit as much as harsh detergents. I don't think anyone should be using bar soap on their face.

I would suggest a liquid castile soap cleanser that has had it's pH brought down to neutral or acidic (Dr Bonners is extremely high...like 11...and therefore very bad for the skin barrier). PSFskincare.com has a Gentle Cleasing Castile that meets the lower pH criteria. It's about $20 for 8 ounces (you can get 20% off by typing facebook20 in the promotion code box at checkout), and it is very concentrated, so you only need a tiny amount, and will last 6 months to a year.

PSF also carries a nice 2% or 5% salicylic acid, which is good for acne. I don't think 12-year-olds need more skincare than just cleansing and a SA treatment product. If moisturization is needed (contrary to what the beauty industry would have you believe, most acne-prone people do not need moisturizing...natural skin oils abound in teens and pre-teens), I would suggest a drop or two of emu oil or jojoba, mixed in the palm of the hand with a little blob of hyaluronic acid then applied to the face (PSF also carries HA, but there are cheaper sources. If interested, I can list). HA is a humescent which helps the skin absorb the emu or jojoba oil. It's an ingredient in most moisturizers, but not really available on most store shelves. Most commercial moisturizers contain detergents and other skin damaging ingredients.

Generally that's true, most soaps are too alkaline. Because the skin has auto pH adjustment in the form of buffers it should tolerate organic soaps without detergents and preservatives quite well. Although I didn't know that they weren't oils anymore, that's very interesting! You are right, however, finding a wash with a pH between 4.6-6.4 is ideal, however, if it is true that the skin will buffer the organic soaps alkalinity then she should be just fine, especially at her age. Although soaps with a lower pH are ideal, so if she can find an organic wash with a low pH that may work better. I find that my skin tolerates the organic soaps very well. I did some research on castile soap and haven't heard anything bad, so that's definitely worth a shot! As far as moisturizer, it is absolutely necessary for oily skin. Failing to give the skin the moisture it needs is what causes overproduction of oil. It will attempt to compensate for its lack of hydration by pumping out more moisture. I know this well, as I have never met anybody with oilier skin than I. Moisturizer helps me a buttload in keeping it under control, but like I said using pure, unrefined shea butter which won't make the skin drier is the ideal, and it is non-comedogenic. As far as SA, I don't recommend it as her age as there have been studies done showing evidence that it may compromise the skins natural functions causing it retardation later and preventing it from properly fighting off acne and bacteria. Although there haven't been extensive studies, it's something to consider and at her age I don't think it's a good idea to expose her to it unless necessary. Try using the gentler products (castile soap and shea butter) and use tea tree oil. Off the top of my head I've also heard neem oil and neroli oil and some herbal supplements, though I would double check on those. If none of those work, then go for SA in small amounts, preferably every other night.

Also, I checked out the ingredients of the castile she suggested, it checks out great and she's right, it is a heck of a deal. I may try some myself (skin PJ, haha). :)

Thank you so much all. I'm going to go investigate all this and write it down. I'm fine with up to $20 cleansers (I don't consider that expensive). Many of the girls that work with me buy stuff that is SO expensive. Like $100 for a kit--so that's what I meant.

I will have to go see all these things! There are some good options for her. Until we get something else I told her she can continue with the soap she's using...since I don't have anything else in house..but I do have baking soda and tea tree pads she could use to spot treat for now and then I'll look for what we want to order.

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. It means a lot to me and to her!

You're welcome, we are all glad to help! :) I am glad you are going to do some investigation, I encourage everyone to never take anything at face value and always do some research. Especially when it comes to skincare! I am always hearing new discoveries that sound risky (at-home chemical peels...whose friggin' idea was that?!?!), new methods and techniques, the new HG products, etc. Things that we thought were good yesterday we may discover to be the most dangerous thing the next day. It's scary! Also, try to keep her using the baking soda only once a week, at most twice. Over-exfoliation can exacerbate acne terribly, so you have to find that "happy" amount. :)

I would suggest a liquid castile soap cleanser that has had it's pH brought down to neutral or acidic (Dr Bonners is extremely high...like 11...and therefore very bad for the skin barrier).

Could you link me to where you found Dr Bronners pH? I can't find it. I am specifically looking for the pH of the organic almond bar, if you have it. I did some research, and someone on a forum was claiming that Dr Bronner uses DHMO (Dihydrogen Monoxide). Although it this ingredient is in many products, limiting its use as much as possible is suggested. I checked it out on EWG's database, but couldn't find Dr Bronners products. Although they work well for me and I haven't heard anything else bad about them, I am wary now, and am definitely going to do more research and consider switching to the castil you recommended after my bars are gone.

Four posts in a row, yikes! I was feeling a little crazy because earlier I told you that the skin can naturally adjust many pH's but couldn't remember my source. It was driving me crazy! I went back and read one of my books and wanted to quote it.

"Our skin is naturally acidic. The pH of healthy skin is 5.5. This level of acidity helps ward of certain microorganisms from the skin's surface. Opponents of soap used to say that soaps, which are very alkkaline, remove too much natural fatty acid from sebum covering the skin's surface, thus leaving it tight, dry, and vulnerable to bacterial attacks. However, research dating back to the 1980s says that our skin has excellent self-protecting capacities that can neutralize even the most alkaline substances in soaps, but not sulfates and other synthetic chemicals that make up the bulk of those fragrant bars that we traditionally associate with bar soaps."

The Green Beauty Guide by Julie Gabriel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file