Hair Gel

SienaSiena Posts: 19Registered Users
I have a job interview tommorrow and I want to wear my hair pulled back in a ponytail and I want to know what hair gels are good for 4a/4b textured hair?

I have some gel but that worked well when i was still perming my hair. Its been raining heavy here and in all honesty I don't feel like flat ironing my hair. My hair broke off pretty bad when I tried biolage, so I need gel or something to keep certain pieces from sticking up and the texture overall isn't slicking back for me...

I can't wait til my hair grows out so I can cut all my perm out and just worry about one texture :x

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
What's my hair type???? THICK! THICK!! and THICK!!!

pw:pretty

Comments

• CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    For most of the time, I use IC Fantasia w/sparkelites, either the clear (crunchier hold) or the blue for color treated. Someone else hipped me to Thick 'n Shine by IC Fantaisa. It's a protein gel, but alcohol free, and it does a good job of holding back hair--I used it for my phony ponytail, and my hair held all day.
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • nikki-noodlenikki-noodle Posts: 6Registered Users
    I've been using the Fantasia IC gel too from posts of other users. I used on my dry hair this morning and it is still holding my wavy slick down in the front.

Doesn't work well for me if my hair is wet. I have found this gel to be my new best friend.

-Niki
    4a Newbe
    DIY Big Chop 8/20/2006, cut the braid at the knot! Lovin my curly hair (with gel of course)

Why didn't I do this sooner? Fear, nothin short of it.
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    I like the IC Fantasia Sparkalites as well. Can't find the blue one to try it, though.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • so1913so1913 Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    for slicked back low puffs, I use Fantasia IC Thick n' Shine gel which has a stronger hold and is resistant to humidity. I find the Sparkle Lites gel doesn't provide enough hold or resistance for when I want to achieve this look, all though it is a staple for my wash and go's. I use leave in's moisturizers under it, so I have no problem with this product and is a staple for my slicked back smooth styles.
  • Dijah_xoxoDijah_xoxo Posts: 131Registered Users
    fantasia thick n shine is good if you want a strong hold.
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    ita with the previous posts... you might also want to try using a scarf (not cotton) to tie your hair down until it dries... that usually gives me an extra sleek & shiny look...
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • FuzzbusterFuzzbuster Posts: 100Registered Users
    Ladies THANK YOU - THANK YOU -THANK YOU!!!!

I went out this afternoon and bought a couple of tubes of the Fantasia Thick n Shine Gel (it was very hard to find)......I'm doing the phony-pony thing now (or trying too :lol: ). I tried the regular Fantasia IC's, it works nothing like the Thick'n Shine for the slick back look for me!!!! I LOVE IT!!!
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

I went out this afternoon and bought a couple of tubes of the Fantasia Thick n Shine Gel (it was very hard to find)......I'm doing the phony-pony thing now (or trying too :lol: ). I tried the regular Fantasia IC's, it works nothing like the Thick'n Shine for the slick back look for me!!!! I LOVE IT!!!

where can i find this thick n shine? had not heard of it before reading this thread.....

i can get the clear fantasia (sometimes) at my local sally's
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • SienaSiena Posts: 19Registered Users
    Well I got the job :hyper:hyper.gif :Smurf1:smurf1.gif

Yet like so many have said the clear gel doesn't hold so I am on the hunt for the blue gel. The clear gel I think will be good if I wanted to wear it curly. My hair is S wavy in the front half and in the back, coily everywhere else. The gel made my waves shine and wavy up even more, lol! I wished I had enough length to BC so I could focus on the natural, because I brushed it and wrapped it until it dried, and it did nothing for those wavys...those suckers are STRONG...I am not even going to get started on the coils, they battle with the best of them, lol!
    What's my hair type???? THICK! THICK!! and THICK!!!

pw:pretty
    mariposa wrote:
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

where can i find this thick n shine? had not heard of it before reading this thread.....

Asian Markets......unfortunately......I really don't like spending my money with them when I can help it. The one's I'm familiar w/have known to be rude & insensitive....
  • MelanieRavenMelanieRaven Posts: 6Registered Users
    I have been using ISOPLUS LIGHT CONDITIONING GEL. It is MUCH better than that Fantasia IC stuff. It is a yellow gel in a clear jar with navey blue lid. It holds perfect ponytails, and I mix 1 heaping teaspoon to 1/4 cup of water and apply it to soaking wet hair after my moisterizer after co-washing and it leaves very defined shiny curls. The IC stuff is too crunchy and contains a cone. I hope this is sold in states other than Maryland. I never heard anyone mention this. Hope you get to try it out. :)
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster wrote:
    mariposa wrote:
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

Asian Markets......unfortunately......I really don't like spending my money with them when I can help it. The one's I'm familiar w/have known to be rude & insensitive....

I really want to try this Thick n' Shine, too! I will definitely be looking for it. Fantasia is OK on my hair but nothing special.

If you don't want to spend money at establishments known for being rude insensitive and even racist towards their customers, maybe you can try and ask at a BBSS w/good customer service if they will consider stocking a certain product. It might be good to ask a few of your friends to do so, too, to put a little more pressure on them.
  • Dijah_xoxoDijah_xoxo Posts: 131Registered Users
    I bought my thick in shine at the grocery store in NY, but i haven't seen it in CT yet....sooooo I'm going to be trying this stuff called "ecostyler" (at sally's)....Can't wait!! I'm also buying lot and twist gel for twists
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    Do you apply gel for slick back syles to wet,damp, or dry hair?
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
    jeamaria wrote:
    Fuzzbuster wrote:
    mariposa wrote:
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

I really want to try this Thick n' Shine, too! I will definitely be looking for it. Fantasia is OK on my hair but nothing special.

If you don't want to spend money at establishments known for being rude insensitive and even racist towards their customers, maybe you can try and ask at a BBSS w/good customer service if they will consider stocking a certain product. It might be good to ask a few of your friends to do so, too, to put a little more pressure on them.

Good tip.....I'll do that....thanks
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    Does anyone use the Thick 'N Shine for anything other than ponys/slicks?
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster wrote:
    mariposa wrote:
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

my experience w- asian markets has been varied..... it helps to take on a case by case basis - when they are good they are far better than the regular stores...... haven't been to a rude one since i lived in NYC

unfortunately none of the ones in my area carry beauty supplies (to my knowledge) - just grocery
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • lalapixielalapixie Posts: 242Registered Users
    plain aloe vera gel can do the trick too, i use it on dry hair for slicking, in wet hair for afros, and whatever gel you use it helps to apply an extra layer of leave-in over the surface before the gel to combat crunch and drying
    violently happy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file