winter squash recipes?

paulahhpaulahh Registered Users Posts: 16
Does anyone know of any good ones? Preferably that don't require a lot of exotic ingredients?

I'm wanting to try butternut squash, but any other type of winter squash recipe as well.
Or a good website, perhaps?

Thanks in advance!!! invasion.gif
"He who laughs last...thinks slowest."

"If you don't get in the kitchen and bake your Grandmama's celebrated cushaw pie, who will?"

Comments

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I made a pretty yummy recipe with acorn squash:

1 or 2 squash
    butter or margarine
    cinnamon
    brown sugar

foil

Cut squash in half, clean out seeds & loose pulp. Continue cutting so you have about four or five 1 1/2-2 inch sections (rings). Save the ends to if there is enough "flesh" to them.

Center each squash ring into a sheet of foil, top squash with bits of butter/margarine, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Fold foil to create a sealed packet.

I put mine on a grill, on medium heat, turning occaisionally for about 15 minutes. You could also put the foil packets on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about the same amount of time. When squash is soft to soft medium, it's done. (unless you like it really mushy)

Be careful opening the packets, they are hot!! Top with another sprinkle of sugar/cinnamon if too much ran off.

Here is a link to more squash recipes:
    http://www.foodtv.com/recipes/re-r1/1,6281,,00.html
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • mazeymazey Registered Users Posts: 709
    These are my staple recipes:

Butternut Squash:

Peel and cube the squash and boil until they are fork-tender.

Drain, and mash lightly (I like mine a little chunky), then add a little butter (2 Tbs. or so) and brown sugar (about a 1/4 cup)to your liking.

Acorn Squash:

I usually prepare this similar to the above recipe -

Slice Acorn Squash in half long-ways. Scoop out seeds and stringy pulp. Brush with olive oil and place skin up on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven on 350 degrees for about an hour (maybe a little less, but until fork tender).

When tender, take the squash out of the oven and put a little brown sugar and butter to taste in each, then scrape pulp off the side and mix it around.

A variation of this is to brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, roast as above, and serve as is.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • mangomango Registered Users Posts: 60
    You can make some nice soups with squash. Hubby adds spinach or swiss chard to it at the end.
    3b/c
  • mangomango Registered Users Posts: 60
    I was browsing on vegkitchen.com and saw these:

SOUTH AMERICAN HARVEST STEW
    Serves: 8
    This satisfying stew contains the ingredients known as the "three sisters"-squash, corn and beans-equally revered by the Native Americans of North America.
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 medium red bell pepper, diced
    4 heaping cups pre-baked, peeled and diced orange squash (sugar pumpkin, butternut, carnival, etc.)
    3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears)
    28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with liquid
    16-ounce can red or black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 to 2 fresh hot chiles, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
    1 cup vegetables stock or water
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    Salt to taste
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Hot cooked rice
    Heat the oil in a soup pot or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until it is translucent. Add the red bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.

Add all the remaining ingredients except the last three. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.

Season to taste with salt, then stir in the cilantro. Serve at once in shallow bowls over hot cooked rice.

SOY AND HONEY-GLAZED WINTER SQUASH
    Serves: 6

2 1/2 to 3 pounds small winter squash (carnival, golden acorn, delicata, or other)
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup apple juice
    2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    The squashes may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees.

Cut the squashes in half lengthwise. Place the halves cut side up in a baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water, and cover each half tightly with foil. Bake until easily pierced with a knife but still firm, about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the type and size of squash used. Or microwave, using about 4 to 7 minutes each as a rule of thumb per small squash or 10 minutes for a butternut. Test occasionally to make sure they don't overcook.

When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Peel the squashes and cut into 1-inch chunks.

Combine the remaining ingredients in an extra-wide skillet or stir-fry pan and heat gently, stirring together. Add the squash and turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces and the squash is nicely glazed, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve at once.

RED ONION AND ALMOND-STUFFED WINTER SQUASH
    Serves: 4

4 small winter squashes (carnival, acorn,golden acorn, delicata, or other)
    1 tablespoon natural margarine or whipped butter
    1 large red onion, chopped
    1/4 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    The squashes may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees.

Cut the squashes in half lengthwise. Place the halves in a baking dish, cut side up, with about 1/4 inch of water, and cover. Bake until easily pierced with a knife but still holding their shape, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the type and size of squash used. Or microwave, using as a rule of thumb about 4 to 7 minutes each for each squash. Test occasionally to make sure they don't get overcooked.

When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and transfer to a mixing bowl, leaving a sturdy shell of about 1/4 inch thick all around.

Heat the margarine in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the almonds and continue to sauté until they give off a toasty aroma.

Combine the onion mixture with the squash pulp. Add the ginger, season with salt, and stir together. Stuff back into the squash shells. Reheat in the microwave or oven, just until heated through, and serve.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE
    Serves: 6

1 large butternut squash
    1 1/2 tablespoons natural margarine or whipped butter
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Pinch of salt
    The squash may be baked in the oven or microwave. If you are going to use the oven, preheat it to 375 degrees.

Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Place the halves in a baking dish, cut side up with about 1/4 inch of water, and cover. Bake until easily pierced with a knife, about 45 to 50 minutes. Or microwave until easily pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes.

When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and transfer to a serving container. Add the margarine, and stir in to melt. Mash the squash until smooth. Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt. Reheat in the microwave or oven just until heated through, and serve.

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: mango ]
    3b/c
  • Nacho_MommaNacho_Momma Registered Users Posts: 28
    Here's one I like:

Butternut Squash Soup

Delicious and very easy to make. You can use 3 to 4 cups of chicken broth instead of the water and bouillon cubes. Also works well with half as much cream cheese if you don't
    want it too rich - or use half n half.
    This is a great soup - and if you want to "wow" your guests.......serve it in mini hollowed out pumpkins for bowls.

6 tablespoons chopped onion
    4 tablespoons margarine
    6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
    3 cups water
    4 cubes chicken bouillon
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese ( I only used half this amount)

Directions
    1 In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or
    until squash is tender.
    2 Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.

• webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    seasonings that go well with squash you can mix and match them but I wouldnt use all at the same time.

maple syrup
    cardamom
    cinnamon
    balsamic vinegar (but just a splash and dont use the cheap stuff)
    nutmeg
    clove
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file