Anyone layer cut hair by herself ?

taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
I would like to layer cut my hair by myself.
Does anyone here know how to layer cut 3c curly hair on her own ?
I have 3c hair which is bra strap length when wet and about shoulder length when dry and would like to layer cut it but keep the length.

Comments

• FunkyCurlGurlFunkyCurlGurl Registered Users Posts: 264
    I cut layers in my hair ALL the time. Sometimes I'll just go in and make a random layer while at work or something, but I have a ton of hair so it costantly appears different. When my hair was below my shoulders, I used the ponytail method for cutting layers into it, found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

and it actually worked well for me. I had my hair flatironed at the time, and I wouldn't recommend trying it with curly hair because you want the layers to come out even and all that. HTH!
    event.png

http://public.fotki.com/funkycurlgirl/
    "when I feel her jump up and dance / I hear the music! my God / i'm talking about my nappy hair!"
    - Lucille Clifton, "Homage to my Hair."
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    I cut layers in my hair ALL the time. Sometimes I'll just go in and make a random layer while at work or something, but I have a ton of hair so it costantly appears different. When my hair was below my shoulders, I used the ponytail method for cutting layers into it, found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

and it actually worked well for me. I had my hair flatironed at the time, and I wouldn't recommend trying it with curly hair because you want the layers to come out even and all that. HTH!

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna have to try that.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• CurlyChrisInTheSticksCurlyChrisInTheSticks Registered Users Posts: 40
    Try a vertical cut. When I was in Chicago the stylist there did it. It was so simple, I figured why not. You might want a friend do it if your hair is that long, though. The back might be tricky.

This is the info I found on the web and printed for my use. I just did it yesterday and must say I'm happy with the results.

<<<EDITED FOR COPYRIGHT VIOLATION>>>
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
  • SandiSandi Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    Hmm.. my hair grows in layers, it seems. Whenever I try to cut it all even, it ends up layering itself again.. I don't really mind it, but since my hair is short and thick... eeeeekk....
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • taltaltaltal Registered Users Posts: 614
    Thanks CurlyChris and funkyCurlGirl, for the video and the written instructions.
    Do you think these methods will work on very curly 3c-4a hair ?
    Cutting your own hair is a major leap of faith. I got a good cut in Chicago and don't trust anyone around here to not mess it up. She told me the method she was using, I watched her closely, and the vertical instructions I gave are exactly what she did.

I cut wet, so I'm not fighting the curl. To some it's a major no no, but I cut very little. The only thing for sure that will work is that your hair will grow if you don't like it.

Sorry I couldn't be more reassuring, but again; major decision. If you have a stylist or friend you trust, you could have them give you the first cut, then it's a simple process of "following the lines." I'm thinking of taking more off next time since I liked my hair a little shorter, the way it looked after she did it.

Chris
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I'd like to see a diagram of how how hair is sectioned and held, and what angle the scissors are held at.
    There is a diagram on this page; for some reason I couldn't get a copy. Must be restricted. HTH

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/hairslightlyup.htm

Chris
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    This is interesting...have u seen pictures of this cut done on curly hair? I'm curious how it looks...maybe I could bring that to a stylist...
    There is a diagram on this page; for some reason I couldn't get a copy. Must be restricted. HTH

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/hairslightlyup.htm

Chris
    comic-p.jpg
    Yes, me. I had this cut done in Chicago. My curls seem to be more in control, according to my mom.
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Would u be willing to post before and after pics? I'm curious to see what it looks like...
    Yes, me. I had this cut done in Chicago. My curls seem to be more in control, according to my mom.
    comic-p.jpg
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Registered Users Posts: 339 Curl Novice
    I like this when I cut my friends hair ill bare this in mind. i wish i could do this to my hair but my hair already grows in layers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file