Boiled Peanuts?

marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
Boiled peanuts are more of a Georgia thing. They're kind of elusive in North Carolina. My husband makes his own or found a canned brand that comes close.

Actually making your own just takes time but it's not that hard.

Comments

• paulahhpaulahh Registered Users Posts: 16
    ...what do they taste like?

Do they have a "peanut-ty" flavor at all? Do you shell them first? What's considered a "good" boiled peanut? (some people prefer them firm, others mushy) Are the canned as good as the fresh? I could live on peanuts and peanut products if necessary, but always thought boiled peanuts looked incredibly gross.

I'm now kind of intrigued about them.

Would you believe that I'm a VA-on-the-border-of-NC native whose daddy raises peanuts, and have never tasted a boiled one?!?

Thanks in advance to my many questions!

[ May 26, 2003: Message edited by: Rock Blackkat Amadeus ]
    "He who laughs last...thinks slowest."

"If you don't get in the kitchen and bake your Grandmama's celebrated cushaw pie, who will?"
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Registered Users Posts: 279 Curl Connoisseur
    They're soooo good! They don't really taste like peanuts to me. You peel them and eat the nut, but I like to chew on the shells when I'm really craving salt. My mom makes them in a pressure cooker, but I don't know how. She only makes them once every few years, and now I live in another state, so I rarely get any. You best believe they're ALL I eat when they're around, until they're gone!

Oh, I didn't really answer your question. They taste like some kind of pickly bean, salty, but not in the usual sense. I don't know how to describe it except Heaven.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: modegrrl ]
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
  • paulahhpaulahh Registered Users Posts: 16
    So, what's the texture like?

Are they mushy to the tooth, or do they have a little crunch to them? I'm REALLY curious now...I can only find the canned ones here, but am dubious as to whether that's the best way to try them.

(You know, kind of like how canned asparagus is totally gross/inedible compared to fresh...I'm having morning sickness and the very thought of canned asparagus and its smell is making me *gag*)
    "He who laughs last...thinks slowest."

"If you don't get in the kitchen and bake your Grandmama's celebrated cushaw pie, who will?"
  • gooppygooppy Registered Users Posts: 39
    bump
    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    The texture is a bit mushy, like little potatoes. Yes, they are definitely a Georgia and beach thing . . .

I've never had the canned ones.

We were just talking about them at work the other day, and I believe one of the women there knows how to make them. I'll ask and post recipe if I get it.

However, I believe you just put unshelled raw peanuts into very salty water and boil.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
    Okay: here's the recipe:

2 to 3 pounds fresh green (raw)peanuts
    1 1/2 cups salt

Put the peanuts and the salt in a large pot; cover completely with water. Bring to a boil and simmer between 1 to 3 hours. When they are soft, they are done. (The nut, not the shell.) They should not be crunchy at all. If they are not salty enough, leave them in the salted water and turn off the heat. When they are done, drain and serve immediately.

Can keep a short while in refrigerator, and you can reheat in the microwave as you like, if you prefer them warm.

Outside the South, you'll probably need to go to a gourmet/specialty store to get raw peanuts. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH DRIED OR COOKED PEANUTS.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

Bumping for Curlyrican

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Central FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    When I moved down south, I thought boiled p-nuts looked gross, but they kinda grow on you...love 'em now- Cajun especially...canned are ok, not as good, but have the same cooked-bean texture. Funny that the first posting I'm doing on a curly-hair site (new today) is about boiled peanuts....
  • LoisyBugLoisyBug Registered Users Posts: 17
    Boiled peanuts are just like Lays potato chips...no one can each just one.
    I am a transplant to FL from PA and when I first saw boiled pnuts I was like "no way"....then I tried one, and another, and another, and....now it's a love story.
    The only way to eat boiled pnuts is:
    1) They must be green
    2) They must be hot
    3) They must have enough salt, but not too salty
    4) They must be cooked just right, not too crisp and not too mushy--somwhere in between
    I believe cooking them is an art, and most Georgia folks have it down to a science. My hubby is a native Floridian who was once married to a Georgia girl, and sometimes he brings out the pressure cooker and makes them....what a real treat!!
    3B, boticelli & corkscrew mix

Humectress, Gen. Silk Therapy, Biolage Gelee', Gen. Potion 9, Zero Frizz cream, Poo every 3 days, Plopping, Diffusing

<><
  • LillyleeLillylee Registered Users Posts: 6
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LoisyBug:
    Boiled peanuts are just like Lays potato chips...no one can each just one.

The only way to eat boiled pnuts is:
    1) They must be green
    2) They must be hot
    3) They must have enough salt, but not too salty
    4) They must be cooked just right, not too crisp and not too mushy--somwhere in between
    I believe cooking them is an art, and most Georgia folks have it down to a science. My hubby is a native Floridian who was once married to a Georgia girl, and sometimes he brings out the pressure cooker and makes them....what a real treat!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they are definitely top of the food chain for out-of-the-back-of-a-pick-up-truck cuisine!
    I used to be Silly, but that was just a phase!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file