CurlTalk

What aspect of CG has made the biggest difference in your hair?

For me I would say the no poo or cowash instead of shampooing every day. Also, the clipping has given my flat top more lift.

Comments

• mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    My hair is definitely a lot stronger now from giving up the sulfates. I have less breakage and fewer split ends. Also, with the styling techniques have learned on this site, I have been able to style my curls with better clumps and less frizz. :)

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,240Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Giving up sulfates! I had been doing some of the CG things for decades before reading the book (not shampooing every day, doing vinegar rinses, not brushing or combing, limiting time spent blow drying my hair), but I was still shampooing with the original Herbal Essence shampoo (the smell was awesome). I think my hair actually sighed in relief when I stopped using shampoo.

The 2nd biggest change was giving up silicones. I didn't realize how it was contributing to dry hair and split ends.

Another great change - putting gel on soaking wet hair.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • peaches1975peaches1975 Posts: 211Registered Users
    Giving up silicones for me! I couldn't get protein, oil, or moisture that my hair needed past the stuff.

Second would be sulfates. They were truly to harsh on my baby fine to fine stranded hair.
    2aFii, low porosity, :love4: protein!
    Color treated (blonde, but darned grays!)
    COwash: Suave, V05, Salon Care Honey Almond
    CO: GVPCB, LVNPG, GFTN, HSH Pumpkin, Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    DTs: Lustrasilk SM, GVPCB
    PTs: Aphogee 2-step, ION Effective Care inbetween
    LIs/Stylers: Any of my COs, FSG, EcoStyler Krystal, LOOC, shea butter to SOTC

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fpeaches1975%2F" class="Popup
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Giving up sulfates - for sure! Once I quit using sulfate shampoos my hair started growing faster than I've ever seen it grow before. I've spent years complaining about how slow my hair grows. And it quit coming out in handfuls. When I used sulfates I had to clean the shower drain at least twice every single shower to prevent the hair from blocking up the drain. Now I hardly lose any hair. My thin spot is much thicker and my part isn't nearly as wide as it used to be. I'd swear I have less grey hair now too but I think that's probably my imagination.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users
    Well beyond the normal giving up silicones and sulfates and getting gorgeous curls, I now pay attention to my hair and understand it. I know the best way to take care of it. That is the best thing the CG method could have given me.
  • CJSmith241CJSmith241 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I've only been doing CG for a month now but one big thing I've noticed is that I don't have any more dandruff. I think that's mostly because I wasn't massaging my scalp like I should have been when washing my hair. Also, my hair doesn't fall out like it used to before. My hair looks better but I'm not sure if that is from going CG or because of the products I'm using. Maybe it's a combination of both!
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    shampoo poo and soap bars.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Using stylers and soap bars.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users
    Co-washing and using gel. I never thought it was possible for me to have shiny, soft hair.
    Pacific Northwest 3a/3b, medium all across the board, possibly porous.

Low-Poo: Trader Joe's Refresh
    Co-wash: V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile, Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm, Yes to Tomatoes, EO Chamomile & Honey
    Leave-in: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Sonoma Soap Company First Crush
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT
    Gels: BRHG, Biotera
    Stylers/Mousses: Komaza Coconut Pudding, Curls Goddess Glaze
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    CO washing, leaving silicones and sulfates, and using stylers that get raves on this board.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Two things:

1. Co-washing instead of shampoo

2. Using gel. I'd dismissed gel as an option after 1986 or so, and am so glad to have rediscovered what it can do for hair once you know how to use it!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    Learning too read an ingredient label has taught me a bunch! Not only can you apply it too hair products but skin and face also.

It's also fun too impress your friends by knowing that magnesium sulfate is just epsom salt or coconut is the one of the only things that enter the hair shaft. Now theres a conversation starter!
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    No sulfates and mainly cowashing made a huge difference.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    1) Learning my hair was desperate for protein.

2) Realizing that one little blob of conditioner after shampooing was nowhere near enough conditioner for my dry hair.

3) Throwing away my hairbrush.
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users
    1) Learning my hair was desperate for protein.

2) Realizing that one little blob of conditioner after shampooing was nowhere near enough conditioner for my dry hair.

3) Throwing away my hairbrush.

So with you on that.

1) Co-washing instead of sulfate shampoos
    2) Less dry scalp
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    NicaCurls wrote: »
    Co-washing and using gel. I never thought it was possible for me to have shiny, soft hair.

+ 1 and no sulfates. And being CG led me to being mod-cg, which has been the best for me. :cheers:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    sarahb1396 wrote: »
    Learning too read an ingredient label has taught me a bunch! Not only can you apply it too hair products but skin and face also.

It's also fun too impress your friends by knowing that magnesium sulfate is just epsom salt or coconut is the one of the only things that enter the hair shaft. Now theres a conversation starter!

Seriously? Wow I never knew! I just know it's been really effective for my skin and hair but had no idea why lol.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    Giving up sulfates and learning how to choose better products.
  • CurliniCurlini Posts: 258Registered Users
    1. Co-washing instead of shampoo
    2. Avoiding silicones
    3. Deep treatments
    Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
    Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
    Icequeen method
    CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    aislin wrote: »
    sarahb1396 wrote: »

Seriously? Wow I never knew! I just know it's been really effective for my skin and hair but had no idea why lol.

See? Told you it's impressive!

I learned that from The Natural Haven blog. Along with coconut oil there is olive oil, avocado oil, and of course water.
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    From CG (the book) specifically? Giving up sulfates.

As for the rest, the time and effort here along with many months and dollars of trial and error to learn what ingredients my hair likes and hates and why my hair may like or hate those ingredients, and how climate can change how those ingredients work.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    Definitely not using sulfate poos and cones. Also, clipping at my part has given me tons of lift on top. Really, the whole curly girl routine has helped tremendously. I haven't touched a curling iron in several months and barely use my blow dryer except to diffuse every now and then when my hair is too damp to go to work. My routine takes less time also. I'm very happy with my CG routine. Dont' get me wrong; I still have days when I wish I could pull my hair out. But, for the most part, I am happy with my hair.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    No poo/sulphates = less eczema
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Losing the Cones and learning about humectants/emollients in relation to the dews/humidity levels.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    EVERYTHING!

In no order--
    -Not using a terrycloth towel to dry--t-shirt or microfiber only
    -plopping
    -adding product when very wet
    -using product at all (I never used to)
    -shower comb! I haven't brushed in over a year
    -detangling in the shower
    -COWASHING. I love cowashing.
    -Using a lot of LI
    -Scrunching
    -Using curl activators like CK or ReCoil
    -Gently, gently diffusing
    -NOT spending tons of money on supposedly 'moisturizing' shampoos--they don't exist. Cowash!
    -Getting rid of 'cones (for the most part, occasionally I use a-cone) and 'xanes, and, for me POLYQUAT 11.
    -NOT spending tons of time trying to detangle a huge impossibly matted clump of wet hair after taking a shower
    -Actually getting to wear my hair loose and wavy!

In short, for YEARS! I wore my hair in a braid. It's a good style for me because of work, where my hair needs to be pulled back, so I still do braid it quite a bit, but for YEARS I never wore my hair loose. It was always pulled back because I didn't know what to do with it. I remember in middle school I would brush my hair straight when it was wet, thinking that EVENTUALLY it would have to straighten, right? Well we all know how that works. Later I grew my hair to waist length but it was braided EVERY DAY. Not until my late 20's did I figure out how to wear my hair loose. And finally I found CG and I can wear my hair loose whenever I want! Really that is the greatest thing. I would have NEVER figured how how to take care of my hair otherwise. Taking care of curly hair properly is SO nontraditional--I mean, most people shampoo with detergent everyday and condition. Can you imagine? I use 3-4 conditioners in a row every time I do my hair! Yea right! When I was a kid my mom didn't even BUY conditioner. I couldn't brush the tangles out of my hair, so my mom said--"If you're not going to take care of yourself, then your getting a hair cut!" So I had a mom cut until I was 10. And since then I've always had at least shoulder length hair.

Anyway, CG for me has been huge and I've learned so much. Admittedly I'm a little emotional about something so insignificant as HAIR but now my hair is at least the one kind of pretty thing about me, so I like it alot.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.fotki.com%2FTillyErnissee" class="Popup
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    In short - getting rid of the silicones finally allowed my hair to breathe and get the moisture and protein it really wanted.

In long:
    No more silicones
    No more sulfates
    Learning how to read ingredient lists (for hair and body! - found myself buying a body creme the other day based on ingredients and lack of moisture robbing cones!)
    Plopping
    Learning that there is no such thing as a moisturising shampoo
    Learning that most 'hydrating' conditioners aren't
    Learning my hair needed protein - lots of it
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    I think the aspect of cg thats made the biggest difference would be the whole cg aspect every part of it has helped a lot!:blob7:
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • jamaicacurljamaicacurl Posts: 130Registered Users
    So much! The best for me so far has been:
    co-washing - my scalp is moisturized and not dry & flaky anymore

plopping - nice curls, less dripping

using a t-shirt or flour sack towel instead of regular towel

learning which ingredients to avoid and which my hair responds well to

learning how to read the ingredients on everything!
    CG since 8/8/09
    Tried & True products:
    *Suave Tropical Coconut
    *Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    *GVP Conditioning Balm
    *Taliah Waajid Crinkles & Curls
    *Elasta QP Feels Like Silk gel
    *Coconut Oil
    *EVOO
    [/color]
    Check out my online store of handmade accessories: www.jcurlsthisnthat.etsy.com
    :flower:
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    1. Giving up sulfates and co-washing instead
    2. Giving my hair a LOT more moisture, which has helped my true curl to come out.
    3. Giving up cones
    4. Giving up my brush
    5. Not letting a terrycloth towel touch my hair!
    6. Plopping
    7. Getting to know my hair (what it likes, what it doesn't like)
    8. Learning how to spot a bad ingredient
    9. Learning that moisturizing shampoos do not exist.

Ohhh...going CG was the best possible thing I could've ever done for my hair. I love it! :toothy7:
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    The increased moisture from not using sulfates and using more conditioner in all parts of the washing/styling process has made my hair stronger, shinier, curlier, etc. I don't always style my hair curly, but whether it's straight or curly it looks and feels considerably different than it used to.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)