Straight Styling Products

VegiDeliteVegiDelite Posts: 1Registered Users
I have been attempting to straighten my hair for 10 years, and can only manage to make it look somewhat decent if i load it with hairspray. I've used so many products from creams, sprays, gels to drug store and salon products. I've chemically straightened it, but prefer the flat iron. My biggest issue with straightening is the bottom of my hair. No matter how recent a trim or deep conditioning treatments, my ends look fried, dry and split. What products prevent this?????? My hair is a 3b, and I would compare it to Debra Messing and Julia Louis-Dreyfus early years curl. Please help and give me some advice! I'm at a dead end, and ready to give up!!!!

Comments

• KK18KK18 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Have you ever gotten a blow out at a salon? My hairstylist is really good about sharing her tips and products so that I can straighten at home. Maybe they would be able to help you find the right combination of products.
    I have mid-back length 2a hair and I wash with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (my stylist uses Kerastase Oleo-Relax and it's amazing but I can't afford that on a regular basis). I towel dry and distribute Kerastase Ciment Thermique at the roots and Moroccan Oil through the length of hair. I let it air dry overnight and flat iron with a GHD in the morning.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
    Here's my routine. Part of my hair is very loose 3a curls, while part of it is thick, tight 3b. It's taken me years to perfect straightening but think I've got it down now. My hair turns out stick straight and smooth and stays that way until I wash it (3-4 days). People at work actually didn't believe I had naturally curly hair until I came in one day with it natural.

1.) Shampoo and condition with a thick conditioner (I like Redken Real Control for winter/Back to Basics Pomegranate Moisture for summer)
    2.) Ring hair out and put my up in Curl Ease towel for a little while to sop up extra water.
    3.) Spritz in ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizing Treatment (Sallys, $7) Comb through.
    4.) Scrunch in Sabino Lok & Blok concentrating on the ends (my HG- $25 ish online, seems pricey but 1 bottle lasts me almost a year because a little bit goes a LONG way. I've been using it for 2 years and it's never let me down) Comb through after all my hair is thinly coated
    5.) Here I either let it airdry a bit if I have the time OR roughly blow dry it (meaning airstream pointed down finger combing it- no pulling)
    6.) Once it's most of the way dry, I get out the paddle brush and smooth it with the blowdryer. My hair gets in no way straight here so the main concern it more to get it completely dry and smoothing what you can
    7.) Section hair off and add a drop of Lok & Blok to each section, comb thru then flat iron with Power IQ Tourmaline Iron (Sally's, $28 set to 380 degrees. With the Lok & Blok, I only have to pass thru each section 1 time.
    8.) Once whole head is finished, I rake through another drop of Lok & Blok for shine. Throughout the week, I'll get up in the morning, brush it and add a drop of Lok & Blok. This stuff is amazing because I can actually go out in the rain and my hair will not frizz or revert to curly.

The whole routine takes about a 1/2 hour depending on how long I let it airdry. I usually do this at night so I'll let it airdry and watch a TV program or eat dinner so the process obviously takes longer then but airdrying is better for the hair :) I actually find that my 3b hair straightens easier than my 3a sections. Hope this helps!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • Fluffy01Fluffy01 Posts: 271Registered Users
    Curlybrunette, do you use a sulfate shampoo to remove the lok and blok or can you use anything? Thanks.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Curlybrunette, what do you use as a heat protectant ? Does the lok & blok protect from heat damage ?
    Here's my routine. Part of my hair is very loose 3a curls, while part of it is thick, tight 3b. It's taken me years to perfect straightening but think I've got it down now. My hair turns out stick straight and smooth and stays that way until I wash it (3-4 days). People at work actually didn't believe I had naturally curly hair until I came in one day with it natural.

1.) Shampoo and condition with a thick conditioner (I like Redken Real Control for winter/Back to Basics Pomegranate Moisture for summer)
    2.) Ring hair out and put my up in Curl Ease towel for a little while to sop up extra water.
    3.) Spritz in ApHogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizing Treatment (Sallys, $7) Comb through.
    4.) Scrunch in Sabino Lok & Blok concentrating on the ends (my HG- $25 ish online, seems pricey but 1 bottle lasts me almost a year because a little bit goes a LONG way. I've been using it for 2 years and it's never let me down) Comb through after all my hair is thinly coated
    5.) Here I either let it airdry a bit if I have the time OR roughly blow dry it (meaning airstream pointed down finger combing it- no pulling)
    6.) Once it's most of the way dry, I get out the paddle brush and smooth it with the blowdryer. My hair gets in no way straight here so the main concern it more to get it completely dry and smoothing what you can
    7.) Section hair off and add a drop of Lok & Blok to each section, comb thru then flat iron with Power IQ Tourmaline Iron (Sally's, $28 set to 380 degrees. With the Lok & Blok, I only have to pass thru each section 1 time.
    8.) Once whole head is finished, I rake through another drop of Lok & Blok for shine. Throughout the week, I'll get up in the morning, brush it and add a drop of Lok & Blok. This stuff is amazing because I can actually go out in the rain and my hair will not frizz or revert to curly.

The whole routine takes about a 1/2 hour depending on how long I let it airdry. I usually do this at night so I'll let it airdry and watch a TV program or eat dinner so the process obviously takes longer then but airdrying is better for the hair :) I actually find that my 3b hair straightens easier than my 3a sections. Hope this helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file