Chicken A La King

marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
Since I'm in a typing mood and I just made this dish last week, I thought I'd share my mom's shortcut Chicken A La King. This is the most delicious yet EASY dish ever. I'm also including a recipe for the Jasmin rice because it's not the same without it. Throw in a green salad dressed with only vinegar, olive oil and salt, YUMMMY!
My Mom's Chicken A La King

1 whole roasted chicken, shredded into 1/2"
wide pieces (I usually buy a
rotisserie chicken at the deli
weighing about 1.5 lbs)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (any brand is
fine, just stay away from the frou-
froued roasted garlic varieties)
1, 5 oz. can of evaporated milk (you can
use half a regular size can if you
don't find this size)
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small can of sliced mushrooms (I prefer
frozen, about 1/2 cup)
5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
salt to taste

1. In a deep saute pan, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and green pepper. Saute on HIGH heat for 1 minute. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Continue to saute on HIGH heat for about 2 minutes or until onion is softened and transulcent.

2. Add shredded chicken and stir to mix. Add cream of mushroom soup and smush around with the chicken to distribute evenly. Add the evaporated milk and stir. Fill the empty evaporated milk can with water, swish around and then add to the pan. Add the mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Lower heat to MEDIUM and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes (checking often to stir) until thickened to about the consistency of chicken pot pie filling.

3. Serve over Jasmine rice (recipe below).

Jasmine Rice

3 cups raw Jasmine rice
1 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
3 cups water

1. This recipe is easier done in a rice cooker but you can do it on the stovetop. Place the rice in a collander and rinse for about 2 minutes. Allow to drain for about 5 minutes.

2. Place rice in pan (rice cooker or normal pan) then add olive oil and salt. Stir to coat rice well. Add water. If using a rice cooker, place in the cooker and turn on. Walk away until done.

3. If cooking this on the stovetop, place pan on HIGH heat and allow mixture to come to a boil. When water is boiling, turn down heat to simmer and place cover on pot. Cook until ALL the water is absorbed and rice is kind of dry (times will vary with different stoves). Fluff with fork and serve with Chicken A La King.

I promise you will not have leftovers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file