Oh where oh where have my curly curls gone???

smurphysmurphy Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi there - I am so glad I found this site! I hope someone can help me with my hair!!

I always wore my hair short, and about three years ago, I decided to grow it out. I grew it to just above my shoulder, and it came in thick, curly (not tight curls, but loose, ringlety type of curls) and lots and lots of curls.. I was so happy! When I had my hair cut, the stylist used thinning shears in it to thin it, and it never inteferred with my curls. I decided to keep growing it and see how long it would go.

In May of this year, I went for my usual root job and trim. The stylist said that she wanted to use a razor in my hair because this would help spring up my curls.. Well.. its like it did the opposite - my curl is gone, my hair is straight with a slight amount of wave to it. I have used nearly every product available to get the curl back, but all they seem to do is make it greasy and weigh it down even more. I went back to the stylist and she blamed it on my age - I turned 40 in March - and hormones. She said it was normal for my hair to change at my age. I asked another stylist who said that using a razor in my hair was the worst possible thing and that I would have to wait until all my hair grew out again for the curl to come back. My hair is just below my shoulders now, and the top layer is about five inches long. Its not pretty - its limp, bulky on the sides, and thin. I am so unhappy!! Has anyone ever suffered this with their curls and was able to recover them? Any ideas on how to get it cut? Should I relayer in shorter lengths? Or is there some great product that I can get that will help. I should ad that I live in a smaller city, and it is difficult to get ahold of great professional products. Thanks!

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Hi smurphy and welcome to NC.com!

Sorry you had a bad experience. Not sure I can be of much help since I never go to a salon and have never had a razor cut. I do want to say that the stylist who said hair changes with age is correct, but it doesn't happen overnite! The 2nd stylist sounds like she knows what she's talking about - it was the cut that made your hair so different.

There is tons of info here that might help you out. Do a search on honey, curl enhancers, etc. You may end up having to get some layers put back in to give your hair some bounce.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Many of us here feel that razoring is something to be avoided at all costs.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi smurphy and welcome to NC.com!

Sorry you had a bad experience. Not sure I can be of much help since I never go to a salon and have never had a razor cut. I do want to say that the stylist who said hair changes with age is correct, but it doesn't happen overnite! The 2nd stylist sounds like she knows what she's talking about - it was the cut that made your hair so different.

There is tons of info here that might help you out. Do a search on honey, curl enhancers, etc. You may end up having to get some layers put back in to give your hair some bounce.

Ditto what Jeep said-never been to a salon.
    WELCOME and hope you find some good tips here :)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • smurphysmurphy Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for the input! I should add - my hair type is mostly 3A with a bit of 3B mixed in (heavy ringlets underneath, around my neck). Any other 3A's have any good tips for cutting?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file