"black soap" (from plantains) to wash hair - shamp

mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
today i tried using black soap (from ghana) to wash my hair...... think it came out pretty well...... This is the real stuff made from plantains

bought it from nasabb.com

was wondering if it is stripping more like a shampoo or does it work more like a conditioner i.e. can i use it back to back days w- out damage?

my skin is very sensitive and it didn't bother it at all
in west africa it's used to wash both hair and body

i was wondering especially as i wanted to adjust/retry a hair experiment today involving leave-in, honey and (fantasia) gel......
i washed my hair with the black soap before putting anything in

any comments welcome
4a/4b tiny penspring curls
Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    I have the black soap, too. But mine doesn't say it's made from plantains, it says cocoa ash. It has that squishy, moldable, flaky texture and is brownish. I am using it on my skin because some of my other cleansers were too harsh. It does seem to leave that soap scum, so I wouldn't use it on my hair, unless I wanted to clear a scalp irritation.
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    I have the black soap from nasaab (the one made from plantains, etc) I originally bought it for my face (I've struggled with acne for most of my life) But it irritated my skin - and I had some left over, so I tried it on my hair (because the package says that you can use it to cleanse your hair...

I used it once to wash my hair and I didn't like the results...
    My hair felt more stripped than when I use regular shampoo. It was dry and even squeaked when I would run my hands over it.... The up side was that my scalp felt reeeeally clean... I usually have an itchy scalp around the end of day 2 after washing/co-washing/rinsing - but after using the blacksoap I didn't experience that problem.

I *might* try using it again... but only after trying a pre-wash treatment with oil or something...
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    natashamck wrote:
    I have the black soap from nasaab (the one made from plantains, etc) I originally bought it for my face (I've struggled with acne for most of my life) But it irritated my skin - and I had some left over, so I tried it on my hair (because the package says that you can use it to cleanse your hair...

My hair felt more stripped than when I use regular shampoo. It was dry and even squeaked when I would run my hands over it.... The up side was that my scalp felt reeeeally clean... I usually have an itchy scalp around the end of day 2 after washing/co-washing/rinsing - but after using the blacksoap I didn't experience that problem.

I *might* try using it again... but only after trying a pre-wash treatment with oil or something...

thx - i did wash with it again - was ok - i spot washed with some shampoo because there were a couple itchy/residue spots in my hair

i think i would use it again but it's not

i am quite chemically sensitive so i would not be able to use the same shampoo 2 days in a row like that......

i found it good for body........ a little strong for my face as well but i think i will keep it for when i'm having a bad break out and/or have been doing too many hair treatments and there is oil on my face

as an aside
    so squeaky clean is bad? i always was taught that was good - although i guess if you don't want hair stripped then it isn't
    for example when i wash my hair w- rainwater (hasn't happenned in years) the squeaks happen pretty much immediately

i think i may want to try cutting the black soap with something else - eg oil or conditioner to wash hair - what do you think?

hair growth journey
    jeamaria wrote:
    I have the black soap, too. But mine doesn't say it's made from plantains, it says cocoa ash. It has that squishy, moldable, flaky texture and is brownish. I am using it on my skin because some of my other cleansers were too harsh. It does seem to leave that soap scum, so I wouldn't use it on my hair, unless I wanted to clear a scalp irritation.

that sounds like a different one although there are diffferent formulas among ethnic groups in west africa...... and then there are also a lot of soaps that aren't the true formula.... mine is squishy and moldable as well..... BUT i do suspect that mine might leave residue...... it's hard to tell because i was experimenting with so many different things simultaneously :D

hair growth journey
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I also have this blacksoap...really like it for my body skin.

Make liquid soap by dropping a chunk of soap in distilled or filtered water. Add more water if it is too thick (you can also add a few drops of jojoba oil or other oil...be sure to shake before using). This way, you will not end up using too much soap to strip your hair. Also good for a liquid body soap. I keep mine in a pump bottle.

natashamck wrote:
    My hair felt more stripped than when I use regular shampoo...
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    mariposa wrote:
    as an aside
    so squeaky clean is bad? i always was taught that was good - although i guess if you don't want hair stripped then it isn't
    for example when i wash my hair w- rainwater (hasn't happenned in years) the squeaks happen pretty much immediately.
    i think i may want to try cutting the black soap with something else - eg oil or conditioner to wash hair - what do you think?

I was taught that squeaky clean was good too... but that was when my hair was relaxed & didn't seem to need the large amount of moisture that it does now... Besides - I think that it really did strip my hair... I was afraid to even run my fingers through it because it felt like that would make my hair break off... it was only after a DT that I even attempted to detangle...

I think I might try the liquid soap idea posted by curlybound06, and combine that with your idea to mix it with an oil or conditioner for my hair... and even try mixing something up for my body... I have like a brick of this stuff, so I have plenty to experiment with :D
    natashamck wrote:
    mariposa wrote:
    as an aside
    for example when i wash my hair w- rainwater (hasn't happenned in years) the squeaks happen pretty much immediately.

I was taught that squeaky clean was good too... but that was when my hair was relaxed & didn't seem to need the large amount of moisture that it does now... Besides - I think that it really did strip my hair... I was afraid to even run my fingers through it because it felt like that would make my hair break off... it was only after a DT that I even attempted to detangle...

I think I might try the liquid soap idea posted by curlybound06, and combine that with your idea to mix it with an oil or conditioner for my hair... and even try mixing something up for my body... I have like a brick of this stuff, so I have plenty to experiment with :D

let me know how it works for you
    i need to decide if i'll be buying it (i.e. the black soap) again
    i want to experiment again with it diluted but really need to wait until my face recovers
    :cry:

hair growth journey
  • bubbles76bubbles76 Posts: 288Registered Users
    I also got the black soap from nasabb. After a couple of weeks, it was also too much for my face. Worked great on my body though. If I used heavy butters on my hair or gel, the soap did not cleanse my scalp enough. If I used light butters or no gel (or a light gel), it worked great on my scalp. I may repurchase and dilute it.

Oyin has a black soap cleansing foam that is used for the face. It is EXCELLENT!! I think that she uses the black soap from nasabb or agabe karite (I can't remember how it's spelled). Here are the ingredients:

spring water infused with lavendar and calendula, pure african black soap, organic aloe vera juice, honey, MSM, grapefruit seed extract, green tea extract.

If you are not the kitchen chemist, I would highly recommend this product.
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
    bubbles76 wrote:
    Oyin has a black soap cleansing foam that is used for the face. It is EXCELLENT!!

I saw that... I LOVE Oyin products... the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Greg-Juice-p-190.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-greg-juice-nourishing-herbal-leavein]Greg juice[/buylink] is my favorite... I was thinking about trying the blacksoap/honey face wash, but I've tried sooooo many products for my face that just didn't deliver.

Has anyone tried the Oyin blacksoap cleansing foam? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked for you... especially if you have problem skin (like me... and I don't mean just a pimple here & there every now & again)
  • bubbles76bubbles76 Posts: 288Registered Users
    Has anyone tried the Oyin blacksoap cleansing foam? I'd be interested in hearing how it worked for you... especially if you have problem skin (like me... and I don't mean just a pimple here & there every now & again)

Well, I use it and LOVE it. If you don't mind the smell, it is a great product. I think it smells like feet. I don't really have what I consider problem skin though. I tend to break out in loads of pink dots (can't really say pimples, because it's not that) if it's really hot, so I had to start using sunscreen. Other than that, no BIG skin problems. But I'm a cheapie, and for me to shell out $9 for the foam, plus S+H is a big deal for me. I have found my natural cleanser :) You can email the mixtress and she will tell you all about it. Or you can go to her oyin forum. I don't have the address, but it's on the main page that you order her products from.
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
    bubbles76 wrote:
    I also got the black soap from nasabb. After a couple of weeks, it was also too much for my face. Worked great on my body though. If I used heavy butters on my hair or gel, the soap did not cleanse my scalp enough. If I used light butters or no gel (or a light gel), it worked great on my scalp. I may repurchase and dilute it.

Oyin has a black soap cleansing foam that is used for the face. It is EXCELLENT!! I think that she uses the black soap from nasabb or agabe karite (I can't remember how it's spelled). Here are the ingredients:

spring water infused with lavendar and calendula, pure african black soap, organic aloe vera juice, honey, MSM, grapefruit seed extract, green tea extract.

If you are not the kitchen chemist, I would highly recommend this product.

thank you for all your ideas! i hope to report back soon!

hair growth journey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file