CurlTalk

HELP/Before I kill my dog/Update 10-08

WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
Why is my 3 year old 1/2 cocker/poodle lifting his leg and pissing all over the house. This started last week! Is it because he's not neutered???

Tony's getting neutered tomorrow am! Poor baby!!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    It's possible. There might be females in heat around your neighborhood or he's marking his territory. Have you had anyone over lately that may have dogs? Perhaps the scent got onto your stuff and he's reclaiming what he sees as 'his'.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users
    Most likely, yes - why do you have an unneutered dog? Do you breed him?
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    UTI? Urgency due to it?
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    rileyb wrote: »
    I admit I've been having a hard time w/ pulling the trigger on getting my dog fixed...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• HropkeyHropkey Posts: 572Registered Users
    I admit I've been having a hard time w/ pulling the trigger on getting my dog fixed...

Our breeder actually told us to not neuter our dog before he turns 3 because it messes with how he's gonna grow (since he's supposed to be BIG). He's very well behaved even now that he's a doggie-teenager, so we're not too worried.
    Mod CG as of 10/18/08
    Using: Suave Naturals, L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, LA Looks Sports Gel.
    "We’ll not live like this. They will try to bury us with false manifestos, inscribe us in wars against false enemies but we’ll sing songs about dying from loving the wrong cowboy and gospel; our bodies will burn in effigies of promise. I swear."

-Ibi Kaslik
    Hropkey wrote: »

Our breeder actually told us to not neuter our dog before he turns 3 because it messes with how he's gonna grow (since he's supposed to be BIG). He's very well behaved even now that he's a doggie-teenager, so we're not too worried.

Breeders love to perpetuate those myths, it's not true - dogs hit puberty around 6 months, so as long as you wait until after that age it will not interfere with growth. Neutering is healthier for dogs - it eliminates testicular cancer and it reduces the risk of prostate problems. It reduces aggression, humping, marking and frustration from having a sex drive and no release. And of course if your dog ever got free or got away from you at the dog park, it can't impregnate another dog and cause unwanted puppies. Please, please spay & neuter your dogs unless you plan on breeding them.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Everyone I know who has a male dog has had their furniture pissed up at some point. This is why I don't have a male dog.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    You should definetely rule out a urinary tract infection. Then think about getting him neutered.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.fotki.com%2FTillyErnissee" class="Popup
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    The breeder didn't know what he/she was talking about. In fact, I am beginning to think the majority of them don't at this point in my career.

Neutering/spaying will not stunt an animal's growth. In fact, it has been found that, in cats particularly, they will grow larger if neutered earlier on. The only thing waiting to neuter will do is cause some unfavorable behaviors.

Take him to a vet and rule out medical causes, and then get him neutered.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    The breeder didn't know what he/she was talking about. In fact, I am beginning to think the majority of them don't at this point in my career.

Yeah, I love when the vet suggests "x" and the owners says, "Oh, NO! The BREEDER said to do "y" so that's what we're going to do!!" Um, okay. Considering that I've met a handful of good breeders, and a majority of backyard breeders.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.fotki.com%2FTillyErnissee" class="Popup
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    have you had a different guy over recently?
    my rabbit puts pee on any place an unfamiliar man sits or lays.
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    slight guano: When is the best age to neuter/spay dogs? In the past, they always waited until my dogs were 6 months to neuter, but now all the puppies for adoption are neutered/spayed by 10 weeks. Isn't that a bit young? :?

I never had this problem with my males. One male did mark in someone else's house, once (they had a female). Otherwise, never! They were neutered at 6 mo.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    slight guano: When is the best age to neuter/spay dogs? In the past, they always waited until my dogs were 6 months to neuter, but now all the puppies for adoption are neutered/spayed by 10 weeks. Isn't that a bit young? :?

I never had this problem with my males. One male did mark in someone else's house, once (they had a female). Otherwise, never! They were neutered at 6 mo.

5-6 months. That isn't the case where we are.

Many will adopt them out with a "certificate" for them to be spayed or neutered if they aren't old enough and haven't been done before they are adopted out.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users

Neutering/spaying will not stunt an animal's growth. In fact, it has been found that, in cats particularly, they will grow larger if neutered earlier on. The only thing waiting to neuter will do is cause some unfavorable behaviors.

Take him to a vet and rule out medical causes, and then get him neutered.

Good Lord. I'm glad I got my boy cat fixed when he was a kitten - he topped the scales at 21 pounds. Who knew his growth was stunted!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »

It's not really too young. They haven't seen many negative effects that are prevalent and its better than adopting them out and never getting them fixed.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Tony is getting neutered tomorrow AM> Poor baby!
    Tony is getting neutered tomorrow AM> Poor baby!

He'll be back on his feet in NO time, you're making the best decision for him! You can always get him neuticles. :tongue:
    Neuticles?!
    should I even ask?

:lol:
    My poor Rocky... :grommit:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

Neuticles?!
    should I even ask?

Surgical ball implants for dogs (and cats). Probably invented to scam judges at dog shows. Not cheap either. $900 for a custom pair, less for pre-fabs.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neuticles.com%2Fultra.php" class="Popup

neuticleultra.jpg
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Get well fast after your nuts are removed Tony!! hehe

We had our dachshund snipped because his little bits never dropped and the vet told us he'd most certainly get cancer if we didn't. Poor thing... it's a more invasive surgery and they have to go in and dig around for tiny little pebbles. He was so miserable for days and woke me up one night because he'd pooped on himself. He couldn't walk yet and was trying to crawl off his little bed I'd made him on the floor so he could potty. The SMELL woke me up..horrific. :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Wait...a...sec! I thought the nuts just shrank?!
    0004.gif

Wait...a...sec! I thought the nuts just shrank?!

Nope...they pluck them outta there like grapes.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    spring1onu wrote: »

We had our dachshund snipped because his little bits never dropped and the vet told us he'd most certainly get cancer if we didn't. Poor thing... it's a more invasive surgery and they have to go in and dig around for tiny little pebbles. He was so miserable for days and woke me up one night because he'd pooped on himself. He couldn't walk yet and was trying to crawl off his little bed I'd made him on the floor so he could potty. The SMELL woke me up..horrific. :lol:

Since you brought him up, we need Calvin pics!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Tony will be fine. :) Did he have an infection or anything?

My last dog was neutered at 6 mos and had his back dewclaws removed (tore one) at the same time, and he was ready to run around by the end of the day! :shock: We had to keep him on a leash so he wouldn't tear any stitches. :?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Sigi wrote: »
    spring1onu wrote: »

Since you brought him up, we need Calvin pics!

Awe, thanks! He's so camera shy I don't know if I can get any new ones *heavy sarcasm* :lol:. We're going on a leaf peeping day trip Saturday to VT and he's going with us so I'll take a few new pics of him and start a new "post your pets" thread. Those are always fun! TY for the suggestion! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,241Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Hropkey wrote: »

Breeders love to perpetuate those myths, it's not true - dogs hit puberty around 6 months, so as long as you wait until after that age it will not interfere with growth. Neutering is healthier for dogs - it eliminates testicular cancer and it reduces the risk of prostate problems. It reduces aggression, humping, marking and frustration from having a sex drive and no release. And of course if your dog ever got free or got away from you at the dog park, it can't impregnate another dog and cause unwanted puppies. Please, please spay & neuter your dogs unless you plan on breeding them.

If I could ditto this a hundred times I would. And in addition to all that, your pet will just be happier!

I've had many dogs and many more cats, male and female, and the only time they ever peed in the house was because of a health issue like infection (or occasionally because of jealousy over a new pet or person in the house, but that was easy to figure out).
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    Neuticles?!
    should I even ask?

Now go make an appt to neuter your dog!
    Neuticles?!
    should I even ask?

Now go make an appt to neuter your dog!
    Actually, the ball [no pun intended!] is in hubby's court on this. He wants to do it & will take him when the time is right...we know he has an enlarged prostate [not hubby! lol]...oy...
    0004.gif

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i feel bad that you have to neuter your dog.
    i mean, i understand. there are lots of reasons why you should or need to. i just feel that it's wrong.
    dogs weren't put on this earth to be our pets.
    they deserve to have their sexuality just as you have yours.
    because we keep them as our emotional love slaves we have to alter them so they can live in our human world.

my hammie will have to be neutered too.
    he can't go peeing all over the place and besides he keeps attacking my leg!