CurlTalk

Homemade Deep conditioners

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
What do you use as your homemade DCs for 3c/4a hair ?

Comments

• angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    The last homemade DT I used was made with honey, avocado oil and organic coconut milk. I applied it to damp hair, covered with a shower cap, wrapped a warm towel around it and left it in for 1 hr. I was very pleased with the result. Soft, moisturized, shiny and no frizz. For a protein DT I beat an egg until foamy, put it in my hair then put coconut oil over that. I cover it with a shower cap, but no heat (don't want to cook the egg :toothy5:). You also have to rinse this out well with cool water for the same reason.
    I should add that I usually do an ACV rinse following DT's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    SMT (Snowymoon's moisture treatment from LHC)-Homemade deep treatment.
    4 parts conditioner (cone free-I used Giovanni 50/50)
    1 part AVG (aloe vera gel-Fruit of the Earth is what I used)
    1 part honey (warmed 10 seconds)
    oil (optional)--I used coconut

This works great for me!! The measurements that I used yielded more than enough for one use. I place the remainder in a clean airtight container. I used 1/2 c of conditioner, 2 TBSP each of honey and AVG, and 1 teaspon of coconut oil. You can either warm it all together or just the honey and add the remainder ingredients....I just warmed about 10 seconds...be careful not to warm for too long. Mix all ingredients together and place in freshly washed hair with excess water squeezed out. Leave in 30-60 minutes, rinse and style as usual. Can use with or without heat.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    I have tons, I always use homemade DTs and I add stuff to store bought DTs so it makes them kinda homemade. You might notice most of my DTs have similar ingredients, that's because once you find what your hair loves, you'll use it for everything.

Avocado DT
    1 Avocado
    EVOO
    Honey

Banana DT
    Organic banana flavored baby food
    EVOO
    Honey

Egg Protein DT
    Plain yogurt
    1 egg

Cucumber DT
    1/2 cucumber
    1 egg
    half of an eggshell's worth of EVOO

Tropical DT
    1 Avocado
    1/2 cup of coconut milk

Fruit Salad DT
    1/2 banana
    1/4 avocado
    1/4 cantaloupe
    any oil
    1 tbsp yogurt

Protein DT
    1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp EVOO
    3/4 cup water

Honey/ EVOO DT
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup EVOO

My Own DT
    Queen Helene Cholesterol Condish
    EVOO or 1 egg

-OR-
    HEHH
    EVOO
    Honey
    1 egg yolk

All of these are great. Find out what ingredients your hair loves and use them. EVOO is my hair's best friend, I use it everyday. I also add vitamin E oil to DTs sometimes.

Tip:
    NEVER use heat (dryer or hot water) when you have eggs in your hair, the eggs WILL cook in your head and it WILL smell!

Also use ACV rinses often they seal in the moisture of the DT.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    The recipes given above all seem great.

Just wanted to add for the protein sensitive people that avocado, banana, egg and any milk product (ie. coconut, yogurt, etc) have protein in them, so your DC will also have protein if you use these.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • jennycurljennycurl Posts: 35Registered Users
    i just made one today and it is really nice ....
    2 tlbs -coconut oil
    2tlbs-sweet almond oil
    3 drops-lavender oil
    3 drops-plumaria eo
    3 to 4 tlbs-suave cocont condish
    i heated to just warm- wet hair and squeeze through
    and put on shower cap
    leave on for an hour or more.
    :blob6::blob6:cg
    conditioner only 3a/:wav::wave: 3b chin length curls .
    cut it myself
    color myself
    lots of homemade deep treatments
    love tresseme naturals conditioner!
  • mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    belasuna wrote: »
    The recipes given above all seem great.

Just wanted to add for the protein sensitive people that avocado, banana, egg and any milk product (ie. coconut, yogurt, etc) have protein in them, so your DC will also have protein if you use these.

Very good point! I discovered that fact the hard way -- by having hair that felt like a pile of straw after DT with every single one of them. I finally wised up to proteins and stopped at milk products (slow learner!) Since my hair is sensitive to oils as well, I'm curious if there's any other moisturizing ingredients readily available -- honey, aloe, etc.? belasuna, your siggy says you are making your own moisturizing conditioner. Can you share some ideas?
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Plain 0% yoghurt, applied to hair strand by strand and left on with a shower cap for about an hour.
    I tried this and the results were very good.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    Also you might want to look into the indian herbs Amla Brhami, ect. A lot of the 4a Ladies post about how wonderful they are to make conditioner pastes & rises with.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • curlycanadiangirlcurlycanadiangirl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Newbie here.....what's EVOO?
  • Night_StarNight_Star Posts: 6Registered Users
    curledlove wrote: »

Avocado DT
    1 Avocado
    EVOO
    Honey

Protein DT
    1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp EVOO
    3/4 cup water

Honey/ EVOO DT
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup EVOO
    How long do you leave this in your hair? I assume this is put on after washing the hair. :happy11: This will be my first time using natural products for hair conditioning.
    Night_Star wrote: »
    curledlove wrote: »

Avocado DT
    1 Avocado
    EVOO
    Honey

Protein DT
    1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp EVOO
    3/4 cup water

Honey/ EVOO DT
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup EVOO
    How long do you leave this in your hair? I assume this is put on after washing the hair. :happy11: This will be my first time using natural products for hair conditioning.

Between half an hour and up to two hours.
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 container of organic yogurt
    squirts of honey
    some olive oil

Mix apply and leave for 30 mins leaves hair moist.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • savvybrownsavvybrown Posts: 33Registered Users
    My favorite Dc is something I call Hair Guacamole. Check it out and tell me whatcha think!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsavvybrown.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsavvybrown.com" class="Popup
    One woman's journey to a greener, healthier life...on a budget.
  • tanishagurltanishagurl Posts: 49Registered Users
    the yogurt hair mask is awesome :DDDDD.
    1 cup of yogurt
    2 tbs honey
    4 tbs olive oil
    and a couple of vitamin E gel capsule things

mix it up and apply to your hair. put it up in a shower cap for 30 min and wash out :)
    Hair type- 2c
    Low Poo- Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner- Nature's Gate Tea tree & blue cypress
    Leave-In- Suave Naturals Tropical coconut/Aussie hair insurance
    Stylers- HETT mousse, Cottonseed curlboost, HESMU spray gel, GF wet shine gel
    Modified CG since March 2010!
    cUrl CRazED:love1:
  • rae*of*sunshinerae*of*sunshine Posts: 17Registered Users
    I can't wait to try some of these :)
    Trying to figure all this out and work with the limitied supply of items at the local AAFES PX!

3a at the nape of my neck...3b everywhere else <3
  • RoswentheRoswenthe Posts: 66Registered Users
    These recipes are great, but....

..is it bad I'm hungry after reading this thread??
    Averages out at 2b, ranges from 1c to 3a, very fine
    Mane 'n Tail co-wash + leave-in

Clarifying shampoo every few weeks
    Lavender Allergy
  • SkyegalSkyegal Posts: 7Registered Users
    These recipes are a lifesaver! I'm only just starting CG properly today and am living temporarily on a very remote island in the south Atlantic so there's a distinct lack of hair products here. Managed to find 'cone-free conditioner and 'cone-free hair gel but there doesn't seem to be ANY deep conditioning treatments AT ALL here, never mind CG-friendly ones! I don't know how the women here cope!

Anyway, I am about to get started on my homemade DT after I do my last sulphate wash. The only trouble is, I don't have a shower cap. I do, however, have a lovely neon pink swimming cap :D Would this be safe to use instead or do you think it being tight would encourage frizz?
    Welcome to NC Skyegal :)
    You can use a simple clean nylon bag, (the ones they give out at the supermarket).
    Skyegal wrote: »
    These recipes are a lifesaver! I'm only just starting CG properly today and am living temporarily on a very remote island in the south Atlantic so there's a distinct lack of hair products here. Managed to find 'cone-free conditioner and 'cone-free hair gel but there doesn't seem to be ANY deep conditioning treatments AT ALL here, never mind CG-friendly ones! I don't know how the women here cope!

Anyway, I am about to get started on my homemade DT after I do my last sulphate wash. The only trouble is, I don't have a shower cap. I do, however, have a lovely neon pink swimming cap :D Would this be safe to use instead or do you think it being tight would encourage frizz?
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    Has anyone added shea and other butters to their homemade deep conditioners?
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • generositytgenerosityt Posts: 245Registered Users
    I add shea butter to my DT all the time. I think it makes a big difference.
    A Mediterranean 3b lady
    In love with my curls, love love love
    CG since Nov/07

Co-Wash: VO5, Tresemme naturals, Fructis naturals
    Cond: Nature's Gate conditioners
    Stylers: Lotions made at home with coconut oil, honey, AVG, vegetable glycerin, OO, and EO.
    Gel: LA Looks sports gel for high humidity days.

Hair goal: Waist length healthy curls
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I add shea butter to my DT all the time. I think it makes a big difference.

Cool! Do you by chance have a recipe to share?
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • curlycat_14curlycat_14 Posts: 17Registered Users
    Once a week every week I dt my hair (3b-3c)
    for an hour (with a heat cap) with this homemade recipe;
    2 overripe avocados
    2 Tblspns of honey
    2 eggs
    4 tblspn of olive oil
    a tblspn of walnut oil
    Then I put it all in the blender until it turns into a smoothie type texture.
    I have shoulder length hair and that works really well for me! Hope this helps you :)
    Currently loving: The Devacurl Line, Ecosytler Krystal, Suave Natural Coconut Conditioner, Duckbill Clips, Baking Soda Cleanses, and ACV Rinses.

CG since July 2010!
    A horseback riding, curly who loves to read :read2:
  • IggyIggy Posts: 51Registered Users
    Today I did this PT:

2 eggs
    4 Tablespoons of Coconut milk
    EVOO

Put it on with a shower cap for an hour and followed with a DT. Amazing results! After my hair dried it was super shiny, curly and soft.
    Almost 6 years natural, and NOW I'm taking care of my hair. Shame on me :angry3::angry3:

3c mixed with 3b ends because of heat damage.

Fine, low porosity

My hair is in love with protein, EVOO and Coconut Milk!

Experimenting with new produtos almost everyweek :sunny:
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Skyegal wrote: »
    T...Managed to find 'cone-free conditioner and 'cone-free hair gel but there doesn't seem to be ANY deep conditioning treatments AT ALL here, never mind CG-friendly ones! I don't know how the women here cope!...

You might try asking them... Because if they have hair and they're close to the ocean, there has to be some kind of DT going on. Local fruit maybe???
  • capaRezzacapaRezza Posts: 33Registered Users
    The banana, OVOO, and honey DT felt amazing on my 3b/c dry, porous hair. I spritzed my hair with water (just like when doing the S&C) then proceeded to smooth and scrunch the mixture into my hair, section by section. I kept the DT on for about an hour and now I have shiny, soft and defined curls. Yay!

Thanks again :cat:
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    For those of you who put shea butter in your dt.... how do you get it out? I've put it in my hair before, and it made my hair feel super coated and greasy, and I ended up shampooing with sulfates to get it out, which completely defeated the purpose.
    Either A- I shouldn't be using it with my hair type, or B- I just used way too much? I dunno.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    For those of you who put shea butter in your dt.... how do you get it out? I've put it in my hair before, and it made my hair feel super coated and greasy, and I ended up shampooing with sulfates to get it out, which completely defeated the purpose.
    Either A- I shouldn't be using it with my hair type, or B- I just used way too much? I dunno.

I find shea to be rather heavy for me too. My daughter who is high porosity loves it. When I use my whipped shealoe on my hair I use about the size of a dime or penny for my entire head. I melted about 1/2 tsp once and added it to some condish for a DC and it was okay but only in small amounts for me.
  • RoseMadderRoseMadder Posts: 38Registered Users

I find shea to be rather heavy for me too. My daughter who is high porosity loves it. When I use my whipped shealoe on my hair I use about the size of a dime or penny for my entire head. I melted about 1/2 tsp once and added it to some condish for a DC and it was okay but only in small amounts for me.

Isn't it funny how different we all are? :)

My hair was just fried after bleaching and I've been fighting with it ever since. I couldn't get a pick, comb, or even my fingers through it when it was dry, no matter how many times I conditioned it. I don't even want to think about how much breakage I've suffered.

I finally bought some coconut butter last night and mixed it with equal amounts of cocoa butter and shea butter and then mixed that with an equal amount of Sally's GVP conditioning balm.

Sectioned my hair and used about 1/2 a cup of it on my hair and then slept with a plastic cap on. Rinsed it out this morning and although my hair still isn't soft (yet, sigh) I can get my fingers through it!

I thought I'd end up with a greasy, stringy mess but that sure didn't happen.

I think my hair is highly porous, though, and it's thick and sort of coarse.
    2C, maybe
    Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Deva Curls One condition
    GF Triple Nutrition conditioner, deep conditioner and leave in spray
    anGell and Set it Free