Keeping celery fresh

automaticflowersautomaticflowers Registered Users Posts: 3,465
Is there any way to do this? It's just me and my boyfriend, so whenever I buy fresh veggies that come in bundles like celery, some goes bad before we can finish it.

Is it a lost cause? Do I just start adding celery to everything I cook? :lol:

Comments

• scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    Could it be the settings on your fridge? I know that some fridges adjust for fruits and veggies. My celery seems to last for awhile
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    here's what i do!!! for whatever reason, i feel that celery while its all in its bunch together, tends to go bad faster than when i seperate them (im sure im totally making that up). so i clean them and put them in divide them up into a few ziplock bags.

you can try that and see if you get a better shelf life. also, i have tried those green bags and it does keep most veggies and fruits fresher for longer.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Those special veggie baggies really do help prolong the life of produce. The ones I've used are those Debbie Meyer Green Bags - I guess that's what Burgundy means by green bags, too. You can get them with the As Seen on TV stuff at the drugstore or maybe even at the grocery store by now. If I put stuff in them inside the produce drawer of the refrigerator, it makes a big difference - I throw away much less when I use them. Need some more right now, in fact.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    heehee, that's what i meant auntnett :). i've seen the bags every where at this point!!! walmart, publix, krogers, bed bath and beyond.

hope you find them!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    We used to keep the chopped (in half) stalks in water; they're hydrocephalic (water loving), so that ensured freshness.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Registered Users Posts: 3,465
    Thanks for all the tips!

Burgundy, your theory sounds like the banana theory I have. :lol: I separate them from the bunch, convinced they'll last longer that way.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    We used to keep the chopped (in half) stalks in water; they're hydrocephalic (water loving), so that ensured freshness.

You can even buy them like this in some grocery stores, already trimmed and in water. I always wondered if that leached out all the nutrients, though . . . .
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Wrap the entire celery bunch in aluminum foil. It will keep fresh for weeks.

Those special produce bags work also, but they're expensive. Store-brand foil is much cheaper and works just as well.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Registered Users Posts: 3,465
    Thanks, all! I'm trying the foil first, but I may throw a couple of stalks into some water and see how they keep. :)
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    This really works -

Rinse off the celery with water and then dry it with a paper towel.

Cut it into whatever size pieces you like, and then wrap up in aluminum foil, and refrigerate.

The celery stays for weeks!!
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file