Keeping crust crispy/preserving homemade bread

iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
How can I maintain the fresh-out-of-the-oven crispy crust on my homemade bread?

The paper bag trick does not seem to work. I know French bread is not meant to stay fresh forever, but the crisp is gone by the next day.

I am very tempted to quarter my recipe and bake every day.

Not sure if that would even work...
You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Why not just freeze it then reheat in a paper bag spritzed with water. You could always par-bake your loaves and freeze them.
    I just accept that it's going to go stale though and use it for fresh breadcrumbs that I freeze off.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    Thanks. I will try that.

Do you put the damp paper bag in oven? For how long? ...I do not want to cause a fire in my gas oven.

In the summer I used to make panzella. I will find some other uses for it in the winter.
    You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21
    Bread soup is a really fantastic way of using it. We did a tomato one at the last place I worked. It was irresistible.
    Wednesdaychef blog has a great-looking one with chorizo.
    Also, a French onion soup, gazpacho (the use of bread marks a true gazpacho), romesco sauce (a fave), bread gnocchi, strata (savory bread pudding), migas (Spanish, not Mexican version made with tortillas), and of course, bread lasagna. If If I remember other uses, I'll add them.

The bag doesn't burn in the oven at around 400.

The par-baking is what a lot of commercial bakeries do since they sell that bread to restaurants to bake off.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Thanks! You have made me a very happy person.

Now that I think about it, WF sells par baked bread. Duh. I should have thought of doing that a long time ago. I do not like eating a lot of bread (just a slice sets me up for the rest of the day), so par baking will be perfect.

Strata used to be one of my dad's favorite dinners when I was growing up. I think I will make a rabanada (sort of like french toast) and soup with this batch's leftovers.

I have a friend who makes matzo lasagna for Passover. One day I will try her recipe substituting my bread for matzo.

iara wrote: »
    Thanks! You have made me a very happy person.

Now that I think about it, WF sells par baked bread. Duh. I should have thought of doing that a long time ago. I do not like eating a lot of bread (just a slice sets me up for the rest of the day), so par baking will be perfect.

Strata used to be one of my dad's favorite dinners when I was growing up. I think I will make a rabanada (sort of like french toast) and soup with this batch's leftovers.

I have a friend who makes matzo lasagna for Passover. One day I will try her recipe substituting my bread for matzo.

I forgot about bread soufflé as another possibility. It uses breadcrumbs.
    I've also been curious about this:
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/circassian_chicken/

I have a recipe for a bread soup featuring milk and Swiss cheese. Very fattening, but tasty.
    I have a book that features a bread and zucchini lasagna and an eggplant one. She also does a peach dessert version with streusel topping.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    ^^Looks good, but too bad it is a meat dish.

Bread soufflé sounds good.

Thanks for the par-baking tip. I have been par-baking 4 mini loaves. Just enough for a few days so I have not had any leftovers. I am going to have to make one of the bread recipes soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file