2. Does henna always come out with a reddish tone? Or can it be any color :?:

3. How long does henna last - is it permanent or does it wash out in time :?:

Thanks.
Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
2b-c/F/ii
:dog:

Comments

• SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    1. You can use body-art quality (BAQ) henna over previously colored hair. BAQ henna is 100% pure henna, with no other chemicals in there. I ordered my henna from http://www.mehandi.com.

The henna hair dyes you see in health food stores are usually compound henna, which means they may contain chemical dyes and/or metallic salts, both of which can have unpredictable and often awful results when combined with other hair dyes.

2. Henna will only give you red colors. If you see a "henna" hair dye that claims it will give different colors, it has something else in there besides henna.

You can combine henna with other things to get different colors, however. A lot of brunettes do various proportions of henna plus indigo; you can also use buxus to tone down the red and give brownish colors. Cassia is often called "neutral" henna as it gives a light golden tint which is really only visible if you have blonde or gray hair. Check out http://www.hennaforhair.com for examples of various mixes.

It is, however, NOT an exact science. All of the plant dyes can only add color; they cannot lighten your hair. So whatever you get will be your natural color + the henna or whatever. The darker your hair, the less red the results.

3. Henna is REALLY REALLY REALLY permanent. It actually bonds with the keratin in your hair shaft, rather than coating the shaft like chemical dyes. The only way to get rid of it is to grow it out and cut it off. That is why I wanted to do it -- I'm sick of my haircolor fading after a week. But once you start henna-ing, you are pretty much committed to that haircolor for a looooong time.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1. Yes, you can use body art grade henna over chemical hair color. You can also use chemical color over BAG henna, however, if there is indigo in the mix, you can get unexpected results - proceed with great caution. Body art grade is very important because other henna products can have metals, salts and other ingredients that can cause unexpected results if you try to use regular hair color over them - many hair stylists won't even attempt to correct color if they know you've used henna, even if it is BAG. Most of them don't know the difference. Chemically colored hair can really take in the red because it's quite porous, so the ends with old color can sometimes be more intensely red than your new growth. That can often be toned down with an indigo gloss, depending on your hair color.
    2. Yes, henna's only color is red. You can adjust it by mixing indigo, amla, buxus and/or cassia. You cannot go lighter than your natural hair color without bleaching. These are only stains on top of your existing color.
    3. Yes, henna is always permanent - it may fade a little, but basically it's there until you cut it off. The others may be on most people, but on me they are less so than the henna.
    You can find all the information you'd likely ever need at www.hennaforhair.com - basic info about each of these plants as well as info on mixes to achieve the color you want, etc. Message boards much like these here, though not as active.

I've also answered in detail some of the questions ya'll had over on the other henna thread you were participating in.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • rachelpetersrachelpeters Posts: 8Registered Users
    Anniemae,

Yes, you can use henna over previously lightened hair. The lighter the hair, the brighter the henna will turn out. However, henna cannot lighten your hair. Because it contains no ammonia, it can only darken the hair.

Most of the time henna is red, but it can also come in deeper, warm browns and burgundy. I've never seen henna sold in neutral or ashy tones.

Henna is ABSOLUTELY PERMANENT. It coats the hair like lacquer and never comes off. After several applications of henna, the hair shaft can literally be seen as thicker at the microscopic level. The only way to get rid of it is to grow it out, so please henna with caution.

Hope that helps. I'm a licensed hair stylist. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Salamander - thank you for all the info. I will definitely read more about it on that henna website. It's very interesting.

BTW, I saw your pics and your hair looks gorgeous. It is the perfect color for you!! :love2: And, I also think that your curls/waves look great, too.
    2b-c/F/ii
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Great minds, Salamander :thumbup:
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    auntnett and rachelpeters,

Thank you both for the info. It is definitely something I have to think about. It sounds like there is a lot to it. I have to do some homework....
    2b-c/F/ii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file