Question about why their hair works ok....

RBLDRBLD Posts: 129Registered Users
I know my hair is bordering on the 3C-4a line...i think I have more 3c parts but there are some that are still 4a. I have tried everything possible to help with the humidity blockage, but nothing is working. What I noticed a few weeks ago is that while I was sitting in my grandmother's house, I had to have my hair pulled up on top of my head, as did my mother (she's white). However, my aunt (afdrican american) always is able to wear her hair down and it never looks like the humidity is affecting it. Whether she has her hair really short and in striaght little layers or longer to her neck, she always has her hair striaght and beautiful and her daughter's hair straight. I know rain will revert anyone's hair, but why does the humidity not affect theirs? If I straighten mine, it is a huge puff an hour later. What do you think they are using on their hair? I love how african american women are still able to have their hair styled even in the dead heat of summer.

Any suggestions?
"If i can see it, then i can be it. If i just believe it, there's nothing to it. I belive i can fly, I believe i can touch the sky, i think about it every night and day spread my wings and fly away, I believe i can soar, I see me running through that open door-- i believe i can fly...if i just spread my wings.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm no expert but this is what I've read -- When humidity affects you hair like that, it's because it's starving for moisture. So it is sucking up whatever it can get from the atmosphere. The hair surface (cuticle) is probably roughened and that causes frizz.

This site is a great place to pick up a lot of helpful tips for making the most of your hair. I started a modified Curly Girl routine (described in the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey) a month ago. I had to change the products I use and the way I treat my hair. And there's a definite improvement.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    It is not a race thing, whether somebody's hair will react a certain way to humidity. Plenty of posters on here are black and there is always somebody complaining about humidity and shrinkage.

It really varies with hair type, especially given the enormous range of natural hair types black people display, from very straight to extremely curly, as well as different textures, and crucially, ways people's hair reacts to water.

Some hair, especially very dry hair, is just more affected by moisture in the atmosphere, so it is more prone to absorb the water and expand, causing shrinkage.

You should look at the LOIS system and compare different water responses; they have a really unique way of looking at it.

Is your African American aunt's hair relaxed or naturally straight? That could be a factor. You should also ask her what products she uses and see if they work for you. I can't say anything for sure because you did not make clear if you are wearing your hair curl or straight.
  • RBLDRBLD Posts: 129Registered Users
    My aunt's hair is relaxed and I'm referring to mine when i straighten it with a flat iron.

I was thinking my problem is with the lack of moisture, but no matter what I use, it just doesnt stay moisturized. It's always extremely dry. So i'm going back to the hunt for something to moisturize.
    "If i can see it, then i can be it. If i just believe it, there's nothing to it. I belive i can fly, I believe i can touch the sky, i think about it every night and day spread my wings and fly away, I believe i can soar, I see me running through that open door-- i believe i can fly...if i just spread my wings.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    RBLD, I am having similar dryness problems to you. I recently got a ton of recommendations that I am trying:
    If you live in a hard water area, try a shower filter.

check your products for dryness causing ingredients; silicones, sulfates, isopropyl myristate, magnesium chloride, mineral oil, polyquaterniums, proteins, petrolatum and certain alcohols. It varies from person to person.

Use warm not hot water to wash your hair and finish with an icy cold rinse.

Drink lots of water.

Get regular, thorough trims.

Moisturize daily.

Have a diet rich in essential fatty acids. You could do this by taking flax seed oil, eveing primrose oil, or hemp seed oil internally.

I don't know what you have or haven't tried from the above, but I hope there's something that can help you. I'm going through the same thing and it's beyond annoying.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    RBLD wrote:
    My aunt's hair is relaxed and I'm referring to mine when i straighten it with a flat iron.

Your aunt's hair resists humidity because it's relaxed bone straight. The relaxer has permanently broken the bonds that causes the textured hair to curl. Although some people's relaxed hair also is affected by humidity (if they're texlaxed or texturized), most are not affected.

Texturized hair reverts after straightening because the flat iron/press is just temporary heat--it doesn't break down the hair strand (unless you use too much heat a permanently heat damage your hair).

That's why many naturals don't bother heat straightening our hair when it's humid--it's a waste of time. Heat straightening can also rob your hair of moisture if you do it a lot or don't remoisturize well.
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • ConcernedCoilsConcernedCoils Posts: 106Registered Users
    i agree, race has nothing to do with how your hair reacts in weather. My hair is very coily, my great-grandmother, however has stick straight waist-lenght hair and we are not mixed with any European/Caucasian ethnicity.

And I am one of those people whose hair acts crazy in high humidity, so you can't assume that race has anything to do with things like that. it simply is what it is. But in terms of dealing with it, most people use a straightening serum designed to block humidity so theri hair won't poof out or revert as the case may be.

I think if you do a search you might find something, but I think straighening products with silicone are supposed to help prevent poofiness, but if you don't want to use any products with cones, then that may be problematic...

But, i'm sure if you try a search or post on the strightening board, you will prob get more replies.

HTH!
    products:
    co-washing with any Aubrey Organics product
    Olive Oil +/under leave-in for super soft hair!
    Whipped Karite/Shea or Avocado butter leave-in
    Also lots of water, pilates and meditation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file