CurlTalk

Is 80s fashion coming back into style?

hipchickhipchick Posts: 350Registered Users
I was in the mall yesterday and they were selling long tops and leggings to be worn with boots or flats. The style reminds me of 80s fashion. What do you all think?By the way, I am not comfortable wearing leggings, what would be a good alternative? All in all I am very happy to longer tops being in style again:) I am talland have scoliosis and look much better in longer, looser tops!

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    With a long, loose top, you'll definitely want something slim-fitting on the bottom. If you don't want to do leggings, how about skinny jeans? Those look cute tucked into boots as well. If a true skinny jean isn't your thing, a slim-fit straight-leg jean would work too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Yes, the 80s seem to be creeping back. Skinny jeans, or narrow-ish straightlegs, would work instead of leggings.

I admit to being a bit nostalgic for those loose, long tops -- very comfortable.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    for sure, 80's style clothing have been making their way back into fashion for the last few years. tunics with belts around natural waist, leggings. I like some of the styles, some I'll not do again.
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs722.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww223%2Fmamacurl7%2F" class="Popup
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fkatiebutton.rovia.com%2F" class="Popup
  • hipchickhipchick Posts: 350Registered Users
    Would boot cut jeans work with the boots in the pants?
    The boot cut jeans are stretch type. If not, I think I need to go shopping.
    hipchick wrote: »
    Would boot cut jeans work with the boots in the pants?
    The boot cut jeans are stretch type. If not, I think I need to go shopping.

You mean tucking the pants into the boots? That would be OK. But flared or boot cut jeans don't look right with the loose tops.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    YES! I've been trying to fight in but last year I gave in to Skinny Jeans and this year leggings. I REFUSE to go back to stonewashed. That's just taking things a little too far.

as for the boot cut, as long as the appear straight as they go into the boot. Otherwise the baggy-ness might throw off the look/outfit
    I am hoping I can tuck the boot cut jeans into the boots! It would probably ne simpler to buy straight leg jeans.
    scrills wrote: »
    YES! I've been trying to fight in but last year I gave in to Skinny Jeans and this year leggings. I REFUSE to go back to stonewashed. That's just taking things a little too far.

as for the boot cut, as long as the appear straight as they go into the boot. Otherwise the baggy-ness might throw off the look/outfit

Oh, but scrills, what you really need are acid-washed jeans!8-)
    I just hope they don't bring back shoulder pads BUT it would be great if curly hair becomes popular again!
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    i wear leggings with short skirts and it looks cute!
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    i wear leggings with short skirts and it looks cute!

me too:) usually with a flat..
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs722.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww223%2Fmamacurl7%2F" class="Popup
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fkatiebutton.rovia.com%2F" class="Popup
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    The less I see of the 80s (besides curly hair), the better.

This is a trend I intend to wait out.
  • brinabeebrinabee Posts: 105Registered Users
    I see it coming back bit its modified, its more Eo looking now. I can't wear skinny jeans though, they make me look so short and stout, lol! I'll stick with my boot but jeans and layered tshirts and tanks.:happy6:
    Mix of all 2's and a bit of 3a in the back under waves :tongue10:
    Gone CG Since Sept/28/09
    ModCG Since June/2011
  • deletedelete Posts: 815Registered Users
    Speaking of 80s fashion, has anyone seen denim leggings? They look like skinny leg jeans except they're skin tight. I've yet to see a person on the street wearing them, only mannequins and models so I'm not sure how I feel about them yet.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I like that longer tops are back again, but I'm not wearing leggings or anything skinny at the ankle. I gave up the ice-cream-cone silhouette for good when I gave up my shoulder pads. I wear the longer tops with regular pants or skirts. I just make sure the top is fitted as well as long.
    i hate skinny jeans, hate um. The only people who should wear them are tall skinny women...think model.
    and yea, leggings with skirt with flats:)
    My girlfriends and i were laughing about early 90's fashion. Think long sweater (from Express) leggings with bright colors and patterns, think black patten leather shoes. EWE, EWE, EWE!!! now that's something i hope to never wear again.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Got a flyer from Oriental Trading & on the cover was folks dressed in 80s garb...hubby & I busted out laughing! :happy6:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    i always thought the cutoff sweats were hot. looks like i have to find my almost Members Only jacket out(couldnt afford the real thing.)
    flashdance.jpg
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I broke down and bought some skinny jeans from Express with the sole purpse of wearing them in my boots. I like how the look, even without tucking them in. They don't get tight at the ankle. They are a like a slightly more form fitting straight leg.

Also like leggings with long shirts, baggy and form fitting. My new favorite pair are my "wet look" black leggings. I stood in the store staring at them on the hanger wondering "Can I pull these off" Yes.I.Can. hahah.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Sarahgrace wrote: »
    Speaking of 80s fashion, has anyone seen denim leggings? They look like skinny leg jeans except they're skin tight. I've yet to see a person on the street wearing them, only mannequins and models so I'm not sure how I feel about them yet.
    I ALMOST bought a pair of these a few weeks ago. They were really cute IMO. I didn't get them because I didn't like how wide the band at the top was. I would totally rock them.

I love 80's fashion and don't mind wearing leggings or off the shoulder tops. You shoulda seen me all dolled up for the Poison/Def Leppard concert I went to a few weeks ago ;)
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I first saw this trend emerging about 3-4 years ago in San Francisco.

So, yeah, some 80s trends are coming back. Like all returning trends, they are being reinterpreted.

Also see colored hosiery thread.
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    hopefully the linebacker shoulderpads look stays in the closet
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    The 80s have been back for a few years but I can't get down with leggings. I've been wearing long, loose off the shoulder tops for a while. If I don't wear them with a short skirt/shorts I wear them with bootcut jeans (they look skinny on me). I don't do skinny/straight legged pants either.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I first saw this trend emerging about 3-4 years ago in San Francisco.

So, yeah, some 80s trends are coming back. Like all returning trends, they are being reinterpreted.

Also see colored hosiery thread.

i was thinking the same thing. honey where have you been? the 80's look has been in for so long that i'm sure it's about to go back out again.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Is 80s fashion coming back into style?

Howdy~

It's been in style for a while now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I think all shoulder pads should be burnt...yuck! I can get down with leggings as long as they are the right length to flatter my stubby little troll doll legs 8-)
    I think the key with any trend is to keep it subtle. Just add a few accessories etc to get the look rather than going for the whole deal.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i completely totally disagree that the only women who should wear leggings are thin women. insanity! as long as you wear leggings with a long top it doesn't matter the size, imo.
    the curvier the sexier.

686810_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Khloe_Kardashian-339x420.jpg

Mo%27nique.jpg
    this would've been a cuter look if those jeans were tighter.

Khloe%20Kardashian-CSH-049452.jpg
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I love it! I rock the long sweater dresses over skinny jeans or leggings with boots, flats, and heels. I also do the same with this long fitted flannel shirt I have.

I like the style that is in right now MUCH better than the super tight yet long shirts, and the huge empire waist shirts that were in a few years back.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    frau wrote: »
    i completely totally disagree that the only women who should wear leggings are thin women. insanity! as long as you wear leggings with a long top it doesn't matter the size, imo.
    the curvier the sexier.

686810_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Khloe_Kardashian-339x420.jpg

Mo%27nique.jpg
    this would've been a cuter look if those jeans were tighter.

Khloe%20Kardashian-CSH-049452.jpg
    if you're referring to my comment i said skinny jeans, not leggings:) Klhoe is totally rocking the leggings:) to me skinny jeans are different than leggings. I guess I just hate skinny jeans. OH And i'm all about curves... that's what god intended for women to look like:love7:
    I love it! I rock the long sweater dresses over skinny jeans or leggings with boots, flats, and heels. I also do the same with this long fitted flannel shirt I have.

I like the style that is in right now MUCH better than the super tight yet long shirts, and the huge empire waist shirts that were in a few years back.
    I like this looks too, but with leggings:love7: