My First Race!! UPDATE 10/18

MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
I ran my first race this weekend!!

Me and seven friends ran the Tussey mOUnTNBACK 50 mile relay on Saturday. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I only ran one shorter leg (3.4 miles) but I did it! We finished with an overall 7:44:40, thanks to some amazing speed demons on our team (not me!!).

I've got two more races in the next month (both 5ks) and I can't wait!! This was a great way to start racing. A whole weekend of great friends, an amazing race, watching some of the most inspiring and possibly insane ultra runners, I wouldn't change a thing about it!!
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.

Comments

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    That sounds like a great experience. I am glad it went so well. Good luck in your future races. :toothy4:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Awesome! :wav:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I was hoping you would post about your first race! Congratulations!!!

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    wow! that sounds like so much fun! I've never done a relay, but I'm thinking that it'd be lots of fun to try! Way to go :) Can't wait to hear all about the next races :walk: (ok, pretend she's running)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's sounds like soooo much fun - great job!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good for you! Aren't they fun? Races give me an incredible high -- and I'm not a speed demon or super-athlete, either. Sometimes I think I get more out of it for that reason. Congratulations! Keep it up!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
    Good for you! Aren't they fun? Races give me an incredible high -- and I'm not a speed demon or super-athlete, either. Sometimes I think I get more out of it for that reason. Congratulations! Keep it up!

I totally agree. My mantra while running a race, is to run strong (no matter what the pace is) and run it with a smile on my face. If I'm not enjoying myself, then it's time to do something different. I LOVE races, though wish they weren't so darn expensive! It adds up.
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
  • runnerchickirunnerchicki Posts: 475Registered Users
    Great job, and be careful....you will become addicted to racing!

I'm so glad I found this forum...I am new to this website and it's so cool that we can talk about things other than hair too!
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    welcome runnerchicki! obviously you're a runner, been running long?
    a few of us are over on the exercise accountability thread, posting away our daily workouts to hold eachother accountable. c'mon over, I'd love to chat run stuff with ya :)

so Michelle, what's next?
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Race for the Cure 5k on Sunday!!

Then at the end of the month, I'm running a 5k to benefit a local farm that got trashed in a storm.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    Race for the Cure 5k on Sunday!!

Then at the end of the month, I'm running a 5k to benefit a local farm that got trashed in a storm.

Good luck!!!
    GL on Sunday and at the end of the month, two very great races! I love charity races, such a great feeling to be running for something and putting my $ towards a good cause :)
    Good for you getting out there and racing, it's wonderful to be around other runners!
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    How exciting!! :wav:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

And today I ran my first 5k! Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.

It's been raining in Maryland for the better part of the last week, and this morning was no exception. Well, no, that's not really true. We woke to find SNOW on the cars. Not a huge amount, and there was no accumulation on the lawns or roads, but still, for mid-October in Maryland that's insane. It was still raining when we got moving, and no more than 38 degrees or so. Me and cold do NOT get along. We have a tenuous history with one another. I was not pleased.

I went tot he race with my husband, one of my best friends/neighbor, and another friend. My neighborfriend has helped me train, and is faster than I am, but has frequently sacrificed her own times to help me through a workout. Today was no exception. She started with me, and when it became clear that she could have easily taken off, I told her she should go, that I'd see her at the end. (It was drizzling the whole frikkin time, for those watching at home.) She stuck right with me. After the hill (I accidentally typed "hell" first, which isn't that far off) that ended the second mile I thought I was going to have to walk, she encouraged me that this hill wasn't anything like the hill I run for regular workouts, and sure enough I kept moving. She was awesome.

My goal was 35 minutes for the 5k. I'm slow, but I've been able to do 11 minute miles here and there. With the jostled race start (thousands of people!! It was pretty cool) and the horrid weather, I was still hopeful I'd get in under 35 minutes but I wasn't going to be devastated if I didn't. Thankfully I didn't have to find out if that was true or not, I came in somewhere around 33-34 minutes!! I'll get my official time next week (I threw down the extra five bucks to do the timed race instead of the fun run), but it was definitely under 35, which makes me ecstatic. PLUS my husband, my lovely pacecar/friend/neighbor L and I all wore our race shirts from Tussey, which in addition to making us look badass (they have the elevation printed on the back, and the elevation was hardcore), since they're like mustard yellow they made us all super easy to spot in a crowd. We had no trouble finding each other!!
    Stolen.
    lol @ hill/hell :D
    Woo hoo! Nice work :cool:
    Do you have a pic of the shirt?
    I'm a bit of a shirt freak...lol

0004.gif

I don't have a pic of the shirt I have, but this is a pic of the shirt from last year, which is the same graphics just on red:

%27s%20tee%20300.jpg
    Stolen.
    congratulations Michelle!! awesome job on the race, in the rain even :smurf:
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    You did great despite the terrible weather. Good job. :thumbright:
    Thanks guys!!

Got my official time this morning: 33:58.0!! I'm very pleased. I have another 5k on Halloween morning! And I suppose I'll aim to keep my time-- not enough time to speed up, plus its a harder course in two weeks

Whoever said these races were addictive was RIGHT!!
    Stolen.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Fantastic run, Michelle!

I am so afraid of hills. My training routes are all elaborately planned to avoid them.

Enjoy your next race and keep us updated on your progress.

happy training and racing!
    ACV rinse bi-weekly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file